Persona 1 and 2 worth getting/playing?

#21eidolon24Posted 2/10/2013 7:48:00 AM
Kuxal posted...
PSX: Persona 1 Revelations and Persona 2: EP - localized.
Persona 2: Innocent sin - fan translated

PSP: Persona 1 and Persona 2: Innocent Sin - localized.
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment: Not localized and no fan translation so far.

I write this cause some people are sure there's a fan translation of PSP EP.

This. P1 (For the PSOne) has the worst localization since the names of places have been changed to sound like western places and the character designs were also changed to make them look like westerners. Their names have also been changed.
---
"I believe that stories are written and read to rebel against the fact that you only live once."
#22CronoDASPosted 2/10/2013 10:24:42 AM
I know, I was kinda posting in a hurry. Anyway, the pacing of P3 and P4 vs. P2 is like a snail vs. a monkey on PCP. In P2 you are either in a dungeon or trying to get to the next one...you are always in an active phase. In P3 and P4 you pretty much have to wait until something happens to do anything, you are stuck in the flow of game time until it allows you to progress leaving you with nothing to do but social links (though P4 at least gives you side quests to encourage a little more time in the dungeons (the actual gameplay)).

I'm not complaining about the pacing of the gameplay. I'm complaining about the pacing of the plot. Near the beginning of the game, you're told "Joker is a mysterious bad guy. Go find and stop him." You then spend a long time dealing with random disasters and attempts to kill you while making no progress on the central mystery whatsoever. Eventually the curtain starts gets peeled back, important backstory is revealed, and character development takes place, but there was a long stretch of "not much happens" in which I was pretty much bored.

I didn't have that problem with P3 or P4. What was happening outside the dungeons was at least as interesting as what was happening in them.
---
- Doug
Embarrassed Minion of Bak'laag. http://backloggery.com/cronodas
#23zex_armyPosted 2/10/2013 12:11:54 PM
Never understood the appeal of P2. I got very bored with it, and stopped in the middle of some boring pointless dungeon. The plot felt very barely there, gameplay was okay but can't save the lame encounter rate and silly mechanics.
#24RasolisuPosted 2/10/2013 12:25:57 PM(edited)
zex_army posted...
Never understood the appeal of P2. I got very bored with it, and stopped in the middle of some boring pointless dungeon. The plot felt very barely there, gameplay was okay but can't save the lame encounter rate and silly mechanics.

The story starts off slowly but steadily picks up steam and gets quite good, the theme of rumors controlling reality is pretty compelling when things start getting out of control and how you can also manipulate it... When you add P2 IS and EP together the story really becomes more than the sum of its parts.

No p2 isn't perfect it has its flaws but it is a decent RPG. I wouldn't put it in the top 10 PS1 era RPGs, I personally would recommend any of the PS2 era SMT games over it by far... DDS, Nocturne, Raidou, P3/4.
#25sevihaimerejPosted 2/10/2013 2:43:36 PM
CronoDAS posted...

I'm not complaining about the pacing of the gameplay. I'm complaining about the pacing of the plot. Near the beginning of the game, you're told "Joker is a mysterious bad guy. Go find and stop him." You then spend a long time dealing with random disasters and attempts to kill you while making no progress on the central mystery whatsoever. Eventually the curtain starts gets peeled back, important backstory is revealed, and character development takes place, but there was a long stretch of "not much happens" in which I was pretty much bored.

I didn't have that problem with P3 or P4. What was happening outside the dungeons was at least as interesting as what was happening in them.

I will admit I'm a bit biased as I grew up on minimalist dungeon crawlers, and I will also admit that P2:IS starts off pretty slow plot wise, but it is what all this is subtly leading up to (sunglasses Hitler and Mecha Nazis is but a small taste of the awesomeness) that makes the early parts make sense. Eternal Punishment is actually way better with an ending that will make your mind eat itself.
---
The Official Harihara of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"Oh God! I was just imagining if dogs could talk."-Zach Galifianakis