Levels of Physical Attacks

#1WraithGirlPosted 2/10/2013 9:18:26 AM
Ok, so I've been wondering something for a while now, and I decided to check and see if anyone else knows the answer.

With the change to just one form of physical damage instead of three like we had in P3/FES, there's a lot of overlap of physical attack skills. For example, Yosuke gets both Bash and Sonic Punch, but both do "light physical damage to one target." And there are others that also read the same way, such as Skewer and Assault Dive. I know this continues through all levels, such as having Agneyastra and Myriad Arrows both doing heavy damage 1x to 3x to all enemies.

None of these have additional effects, just talking about the ones that are strict damage here. Do they all basically do the same damage as the other ones that read the same way in the tooltip? Or is there a ranking of which is better? Like, Sonic Punch costs more % of health than Bash, so does it typically do more damage? I've never really compared them before, just defaulting to Sonic Punch.
---
Life is too serious to be taken too seriously.
#2RinkuTanukiPosted 2/10/2013 9:33:03 AM
I believe the main difference is critical rates. In your example, Sonic Punch has a higher critical rate than Bash, so it costs more.

As far as I'm aware, that's the only difference. But I haven't really looked at it too deeply.
---
I'm not 100% sure, so don't quote me on this. But I don't think the purpose of the censorship was to ruin time-traveling Hitler's fun. - Curse
#3Zero 0083Posted 2/10/2013 9:35:05 AM
http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Persona_4_Skills#Stat_Bonus

The damage levels are different. Check the above link. I will state that Hassou Tobi practically breaks the game, so yeah. I literally ate Reapers for breakfast with Hassou Tobi, versus when I faced Reapers at 60/70 and bombarded them with Megidolaon with Beelzebub.
---
*Official Junk Tech and Pilot of the Final Gundam*
APPROVED (if for no other reason than the horrid acronyms) ~ Lowe Gear
#4WraithGirl(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 9:45:57 AM
Ok, since they don't really explain it, I want to be sure I'm reading it right, so lemme look at an example. The order of the numbers from left to right is labeled as Power, Accuracy, Crit (assuming Crit Chance), and Cost.

Myriad Arrows Inflicts a large amount of Physical damage up to three times on all enemies. 150 85 5 22% HP
Agneyastra Inflicts a large amount of Physical damage up to three times on all enemies. 240 75 5 24% HP

So would I be right in reading it that Myriad Arrows is cheaper and more accurate, but does less damage per hit than Agneyastra?

If I'm reading that right, then the power for light, moderate, and heavy isn't that big, but severe is a massive jump. Here's the best single target attacks of the first three categories:
Assault Dive Inflicts a small amount of Physical damage on one enemy.
200 90 20 10% HP
Mighty Swing Inflicts a moderate amount of Physical damage on one enemy. 270 90 30 14% HP
Heaven's Blade Inflicts a large amount of Physical damage on one enemy.
460 90 30 19% HP

And then all three of the severe damage ones.
Brave Blade Inflicts a severe amount of Physical damage on one enemy.
1400 90 20 22% HP
God's Hand Inflicts a severe amount of Physical damage on one enemy.
1600 90 15 20% HP
Primal Force Inflicts a severe amount of Physical damage on one enemy. 2200 90 25 22% HP
---
#5ethsfanPosted 2/10/2013 12:49:03 PM
WraithGirl posted...
Ok, since they don't really explain it, I want to be sure I'm reading it right, so lemme look at an example. The order of the numbers from left to right is labeled as Power, Accuracy, Crit (assuming Crit Chance), and Cost.

Myriad Arrows Inflicts a large amount of Physical damage up to three times on all enemies. 150 85 5 22% HP
Agneyastra Inflicts a large amount of Physical damage up to three times on all enemies. 240 75 5 24% HP

So would I be right in reading it that Myriad Arrows is cheaper and more accurate, but does less damage per hit than Agneyastra?

If I'm reading that right, then the power for light, moderate, and heavy isn't that big, but severe is a massive jump. Here's the best single target attacks of the first three categories:
Assault Dive Inflicts a small amount of Physical damage on one enemy.
200 90 20 10% HP
Mighty Swing Inflicts a moderate amount of Physical damage on one enemy. 270 90 30 14% HP
Heaven's Blade Inflicts a large amount of Physical damage on one enemy.
460 90 30 19% HP

And then all three of the severe damage ones.
Brave Blade Inflicts a severe amount of Physical damage on one enemy.
1400 90 20 22% HP
God's Hand Inflicts a severe amount of Physical damage on one enemy.
1600 90 15 20% HP
Primal Force Inflicts a severe amount of Physical damage on one enemy. 2200 90 25 22% HP

heat rise solves ur acc problem so pick the one with best crit cos that can gain u another attack or party attack
#6mistermikeymikePosted 2/10/2013 1:29:16 PM(edited)
im not a big fan of that page because it's extremely misleading. you think they're just flat out multipliers to your damage but they aren't.

the damage formula includes a square root and basically your 2200 doesn't hit 10x harder than a 220.

hence the reason hassou tobi (despite being 8 * 120 does more damage than a 2200)

also at above-heat rise kinda sucks imo. debilitate > heat rise.
---
So Damn Foxy.
#7WraithGirl(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 5:59:33 PM
mistermikeymike posted...
im not a big fan of that page because it's extremely misleading. you think they're just flat out multipliers to your damage but they aren't.

the damage formula includes a square root and basically your 2200 doesn't hit 10x harder than a 220.

hence the reason hassou tobi (despite being 8 * 120 does more damage than a 2200)

also at above-heat rise kinda sucks imo. debilitate > heat rise.

Ok, that's something good to know. So the fact that I got Rainy Death on Rakshasa and Ose instead of Brave Blade isn't that huge of a difference (though I tend to just use Myriad Arrows).

I guess that raises the question then, if making a Yoshi with HT, which does more damage on a single target: HT's 8 lighter hits, or Primal Force's one massive hit? Like for a boss fight. I mean, at that point, is it kind of pointless to have a single target attack when you have multiple hit all enemy attacks?
---
#8LightOfJudgmentPosted 2/10/2013 6:58:57 PM
He just said that HT does more. To see for yourself, field testing would be necessary. Primal Force is the best physical attack for any non-Yoshi Persona.

The drawback with HT is that it has a lower accuracy and crit rate, but as long as you keep Debilitate/Sukukaja in place the former isn't much of a problem. The latter doesn't matter against most bosses.
---
Awaiting/Want: Tales of Xillia
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/Zerus/fail2-12.jpg
#9Shizuru_ShuPosted 2/10/2013 10:01:50 PM
I'm trying to do physical non yoshi build and somewhat interested too.

Except hassou tobi best 1 hit phys skill - primal force

Is that true that best multi hit physical (which you can get by skillcard) is blade of fury? Because it not so powerful for me... Maybe I'm wrong with something...
#10metamaraPosted 2/10/2013 11:39:47 PM
Its minimum 2 hits is as strong as vorpal blade.

Shizuru_Shu posted...
I'm trying to do physical non yoshi build and somewhat interested too.

Except hassou tobi best 1 hit phys skill - primal force

Is that true that best multi hit physical (which you can get by skillcard) is blade of fury? Because it not so powerful for me... Maybe I'm wrong with something...