So, about the story P1~P4 / Wildcard (Spoilers)

#21kratoscar2008Posted 2/12/2013 10:46:21 PM
DaimaoTakahashi posted...
Hmm, If I remember correctly, the characters in P1/P2 don't have the exact same benefits as the Wild Carders (Minato/MC, Aigis, and Yu), they are more like Proto-Wild Carders. They can use several Personas, but are limited to one or three Arcanas. The characters of P1/P2, Aigis (partially), Minato, and Yu gained their Persona summoning ability by coming into contact with Philemon/The Blue Butterfly, everyone else either gained their ability from Nyarlathotep or gained it naturally.

The characters from Persona 3 can summon their Personas in the real world, it should be obvious that they can since Medea nearly killed Chidori in the Real World and Mitsuru having an entire organisation full of Persona users dedicated to hunting Shadows while the Dark Hour is currently inactive. They don't need an evoker, it is just easier for them to summon their Personas that way.

No the Persona 2 cast can equip ANY Persona Arcana except character exclusive Personas,, in fact the P2 cast are so good that they can use Fusion Spells unlike the P3 (Barring P3 MC) and P4 cast.

So far ALL Persona users playable characters were given their ability by Philemon, in the P1&P2 via the Persona game that basically summon them to the reign of Philemon were he grants Personas, so as far as we know the P3&P4 cast are weaklings compared to the P1&2 cast.
---
The official Vulcanus of the Shin Megami Tensei IV boards
http://www.gaijinworks.com/ Support CoH 2 Physical release.
#22darker95Posted 2/13/2013 12:55:07 AM
KefkaesqueXIII posted...
darker95 posted...
i thought all the mcs were in contact with philemon aka the blue butterfly. izanami just gave y the ability to go in the tv, death just amp his powers via fusion spells by himself.

The P1 and P2 characters were given a partial wild card ability through direct contact with Philimon, but it's never explicitly stated or shown that Yu and Minato had any such contact.

In fact, Izanami specifically says that she gave Yu's power a "gentle push."

This statement, coupled with the clear differences between the P3/P4 MC's wild card and the P1/P2 casts abilities, leads me to believe that Yu and Minato just happened to be born with a "true" wildcard ability, though they still needed outside stimulus to awaken to it (in Minato's case, I think it was the life-or-death situation on the dorm roof + the evoker that did it)

As for real world persona usage, like others have already stated the P3 cast are proof that it can still be done so long as you either use an aid (i.e. an evoker) or have trained your self to do it.

It can also be argued that the reason the P1/P2 cast could summon their personas in the real world without training/aid was thanks to their direct contact with Philimon giving them a bit of a leg up over P3/P4's self-taught cast.

yeah that kinda proves my point izanami said she gave his potential a push and that she did not know he had that kind of power implying he already had the potential before their meeting and yu was visited by the blue butterfly before coming to inaba, same for minato he really didnt need his evoker at all. in p2 ep (tatsuya`s resolve) its shown that who ever is born with the potential is visited by a blue butterfly or masked man. and in p1 you never really were in the real world and niether was p2
p1 the deva system demon /shadow miced with the real world and the p2 the same thing with rumors sooo.
---
Understand that there is no joy. Cry, that there is no eternal punishment! Where there are new fans, there is money. I, myself, cry for you humans!-Nyrathothep
#23DaimaoTakahashiPosted 2/13/2013 9:06:00 AM
kratoscar2008 posted...
Hmm, If I remember correctly, the characters in P1/P2 don't have the exact same benefits as the Wild Carders (Minato/MC, Aigis, and Yu), they are more like Proto-Wild Carders. They can use several Personas, but are limited to one or three Arcanas. The characters of P1/P2, Aigis (partially), Minato, and Yu gained their Persona summoning ability by coming into contact with Philemon/The Blue Butterfly, everyone else either gained their ability from Nyarlathotep or gained it naturally.

The characters from Persona 3 can summon their Personas in the real world, it should be obvious that they can since Medea nearly killed Chidori in the Real World and Mitsuru having an entire organisation full of Persona users dedicated to hunting Shadows while the Dark Hour is currently inactive. They don't need an evoker, it is just easier for them to summon their Personas that way.

No the Persona 2 cast can equip ANY Persona Arcana except character exclusive Personas,, in fact the P2 cast are so good that they can use Fusion Spells unlike the P3 (Barring P3 MC) and P4 cast.

So far ALL Persona users playable characters were given their ability by Philemon, in the P1&P2 via the Persona game that basically summon them to the reign of Philemon were he grants Personas, so as far as we know the P3&P4 cast are weaklings compared to the P1&2 cast.

You're correct, but unlike Persona 3 and Persona 4 Wild carders, P1/P2 playable characters were limited in Personas, through affinities and arcana, while Persona 3 and Persona 4's Wild Cards are able to use all arcanas. Though I haven't played P1/P2 in years now, so I could be wrong again.
#24RasolisuPosted 2/13/2013 9:14:19 AM
kratoscar2008 posted...

You're correct, but unlike Persona 3 and Persona 4 Wild carders, P1/P2 playable characters were limited in Personas, through affinities and arcana, while Persona 3 and Persona 4's Wild Cards are able to use all arcanas. Though I haven't played P1/P2 in years now, so I could be wrong again.

Certain characters liked certain arcanas and each gave effects

Compatibility Effect
Best = .75x SP cost and highest mutation chance
Good = 0.75x SP cost and high mutation chance
Normal = normal
Bad = 1.5x SP cost and low mutation chance
Worst = can't equip Persona

Only one person in IS had a 'worst" and that was Yukino and Death Personas. However everyone was 'great' with Fool Personas and everyone was 'bad' with Devil.

People equate their Canon Arcana to be their unique equipped personas.
#25kratoscar2008Posted 2/13/2013 9:32:27 AM
kratoscar2008 posted...

The guys at P1 were really limited but the P2 cast could equip any Persona Arcana it was just that you would require more SP and they wouldnt Rank slower if they werent too compatible but they still could equip them.
---
The official Vulcanus of the Shin Megami Tensei IV boards
http://www.gaijinworks.com/ Support CoH 2 Physical release.
#26terran3999999Posted 2/13/2013 10:57:21 AM
Minato had any such contact.
You're joking right? How did you miss the part where the blue butterfly flutters by when the P3 MC signed that contract?

And seriously, don't turn this into another pointless stupid power level topic. In all seriousness, the P3/4 MC being able to use all of the Arcana is for gameplay mechanics, it would be stupid to gimp those two and then suddenly your forced to use specific Personae for a dumb reason.

The original question was: can Personae be summoned in the real world? YES. But there's seems to be a number of different factors that play into it that would allow for such an occurrence. What actually are those factors? None of us know since SMT/Kaneko hasn't answered it directly. And please remember, the environment in P1/P2 can also play a factor into how much easier it is to summon a Persona.
---
Katawa Shoujo: The visual novel that defies and kicks logic to the curb.
Official contender to fight for Lilly as waifu.
#27Lelouch71Posted 2/13/2013 3:08:23 PM
Essentially the P1/P2 cast had an easier time using their Persona in the real world is due to using the Persona ritual. This allows them to meet Philemon or Nyarlathotep (if he wants to manipulate you). Everyone hold the potential to awaken a Persona. The P3 MC was given the wild card ability from Philemon as well. He just summon his by an evoker. I can only guess that he never used the Persona ritual.

The P3 and P4 cast do hold the potential to summon their Persona without the Evoker. It just takes some training to do so. Mitsuru and Akihiko learned how to do sometime before P4A took place. The P4 cast could do it too with some training and dedication.
---
"Your arms are too short to box with God!"
#28Crok425Posted 2/14/2013 2:48:02 AM
Okay. Yes, the characters of Persona can summon Personas in the real world, P1, P2 and P3 characters do, P1 could be an exception thanks to the Deva System, but before the characters went to Maki's head Mikage-cho had demons and a barrier to prevent from leaving. In P2 it's just demons, there was never a rumor of people summoning stuff, besides, Tatsuya summoned Vulcanus when he was a child when Sudou made the shrine burn. In P3 characters technically do summon in the real world, the Dark Hour is just a distortion of time and space, not exactly a different world since Shadows harm people outside the Dark Hour with the voices unlike P4. In P4 the TV world IS a Persona friendly zone, I assume it's because it's filled with human thoughts and that boosts their ability to summon.
#29Crok425Posted 2/14/2013 3:06:05 AM
As for the Wild Card, it's only obtained by people that had contact with Philemon, either direct or minimal. The playable characters of P1 & P2 had direct contact, while Minato, Aigis and Yu had a minimal contact by just watching the blue butterfly that others can't see. The P1 cast is very limited with just 3 Personas per character and affinities, the P2 cast has a stock of 10 or more Personas that all characters have access to and can use Fusion Spells from 2 to 5 characters. P3 and P4 are Fools so they don't need affinities, Minato has a stock of 12 Personas only for him but can only use 2 Personas for Fusion Spells, Aigis is the same but without the Fusion Spells, Yu is the same as Aigis. Golden doesn't count technically, the original P4 didn't have Fusion Spells and only scripted characters like Kanji and Naoto use the same "Fusion Spell"... those are more like team up spells... and Yu still can't do any.
#30terran3999999Posted 2/14/2013 9:36:23 AM
Actually Brotagonist is quite an oddball.

We always assumed that Izanami was the one who gave him the Wild Card but she specifically said she only 'gave your powers a gentle push' which implies Bro might have had the power already but the thing is that he never met Philly before and no, I'm not talking about the save points, that's all gameplay.
---
Katawa Shoujo: The visual novel that defies and kicks logic to the curb.
Official contender to fight for Lilly as waifu.