Shoud I watch or read JoJo's Bizare Adventure?

#1TheExiled280Posted 2/13/2013 8:09:49 AM
I remember someone on this board made a big comparison between Persona & JoJo so I was a little interested. I watched the first 4 episodes of the 2012 anime (Dio is a pr**k) but I didn't think it was that great. I hear that the serious has several different story arcs with completely diffent characters. Which one is similar to Persona?
---
Currently Playing: PlayStation All-Stars(PSV), Naruto UNSG(PS3), inFAMOUS(PS3), Persona 4 The Golden(PSV), Growlanser WoT(PSP) & Persona 4 Arena (PS3)
#2Zero 0083Posted 2/13/2013 8:15:07 AM
Check out the third arc and onward of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for the Persona comparisons, since Stands are essentially the same things as Personae.
---
*Official Junk Tech and Pilot of the Final Gundam*
APPROVED (if for no other reason than the horrid acronyms) ~ Lowe Gear
#3RasolisuPosted 2/13/2013 8:20:29 AM(edited)
Zero 0083 posted...
Check out the third arc and onward of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure for the Persona comparisons, since Stands are essentially the same things as Personae.

Same thing as the anime version of Personas. The way game and fighting game personas work is different.
#4Bikes-Posted 2/13/2013 8:20:09 AM
They're presumably comparing persona to the third arc forward. At point characters start getting something called a stand, which is sort of like a persona but more varied. It's mostly the fighting style though the plot isn't really similar otherwise. That being said 3rd arc of jojo is fantastic and you should read it (there is a old anime adaption but the little I've seen of it seemed kinda meh)
After that...eh I think it goes downhill, I'm on the 5th arc now and I just lost interest. (Didn't help that the translation for 4th arc I read had a abysmal translation)

I should note if you want to get the manga officially you just need to get volume 1, 3rd arc is the only part of the series with a official release in English (at least last I checked) and it has a summary of arcs 1 and 2, although all you really need to know is Dio is evil jerk.
#5TheExiled280(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 8:21:34 AM
Thanks guys
---
Currently Playing: PlayStation All-Stars(PSV), Naruto UNSG(PS3), inFAMOUS(PS3), Persona 4 The Golden(PSV), Growlanser WoT(PSP) & Persona 4 Arena (PS3)
#6iliekpieplzPosted 2/13/2013 8:24:35 AM(edited)
The current season of the anime is only going over the first 2 parts, Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency, and the old anime goes over my personal favorite, part 3 Stardust Crusaders, where the whole concept of Stands (the series equivalent of Personae) is introduced.

The part you're looking for is probably part 4, Diamond is Not Crash, since it's a murder mystery in a rural town.

As for the series itself, if you're looking for the occasional sweet moments found in Persona, you're going to have a bad time.
---
Life doesn't imitate art, it imitates bad television.
PSN: ZanSangyou
#7iliekpieplzPosted 2/13/2013 8:24:06 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8TheExiled280(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 8:28:12 AM
iliekpieplz posted...
The current season of the anime is only going over the first 2 parts, Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency, and the old anime goes over my personal favorite, part 3 Stardust Crusaders, where the whole concept of Stands (the series equivalent of Personae) is introduced.

The part you're looking for is probably part 4, Diamond is Not Crash, since it's a murder mystery in a rural town.

As for the series itself, if you're looking for the occasional sweet moments found in Persona, you're going to have a bad time.

Well I meant more of just the Persona and Stands comparison but I'll look into what you said.
---
#9DynamicJumpIuffPosted 2/13/2013 11:43:12 AM(edited)
Part 1 is kinda ehh but sets up an interesting story. Part 2 is incredibly fun and one of my favorite arcs. Part 3 and onward is non-stop badassery.
---
The official Lilim of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
"I thank you for arousing me" - Beruga, Terranigma
#10FireflyV_ONEPosted 2/13/2013 2:04:08 PM
Part 1 only lasts 9 episodes in the new anime for a reason. It's widely regarded as the weakest part, but it's all uphill from there.

Part 3 introduces stands which are like Persona (only better) and Part 4 does the high school students solve a murder mystery plot.

It's pretty clear Persona took a lot of inspiration from JoJo's. Not that I can blame it, JoJo's is amazing and is worth anyone's time.
---
PSN: Alaster_Angelo
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6jn7vfYqd1qi7eg5o1_1280.jpg