differences between persona 4 and persona 3 characters

#1Bryton5Posted 2/21/2013 7:06:27 PM
ithis is most likely posted quite often but i was just wondering more about the characters in both games. i have played and beaten persona 4 and absolutely LOVED the characters in that. i just started playing persona 3 and have so far had a feeling that these characters arent going to be half as interesting or likeable wereas with 4 i found a liking for them almost instantly
#2Bryton5(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 7:50:34 PM
anybody?
#3GSSAGE7Posted 2/21/2013 7:53:14 PM(edited)
Unlike in Persona 4, the characters in Persona 3 have character development independent of their social links. So while Yosuke's character in the story doesn't change much, Junpei's character changes.

I bring up Junpei specifically because the guy acts like a grade A douche at the start.

That development is important because, well, if you don't like the characters at first, by the end, you'll like most of the characters by the end, if not all of them.
#4The_JestPosted 2/21/2013 7:55:35 PM
As someone who has also played 4 first then 3 second, I can safely say that, yes, some of these characters aren't necessarily good. but they'll grow on you sooner or later. While there may be one character I want shot out of the party, (Looking at you, Yukari. Don't think I forgot about your actions in the Answer.) there's also one member of Persona 4's party I hate, so we're even. (Looking at you Rise. You may have prove yourself more useful in Golden, but I don't like you, or your social link!) The social link characters are pretty good, but in their own way. I personally prefer the Sun of P3 over the Sun of P4 (Social Links, I mean.) and while characters like Junpei annoyed the crap out of me at first, as the game went on, I've grown to like him. (Even Yukari was at least decent in the story of P3. ...Still doesn't forgive her personality in the Answer.)

Bottom Line: You'll get use to them as you play along. They may not be like P4's characters, but considering the story of P3, that might be for the better. They have their own charm in that game. Also, if I may be perfectly honest, I personally favor P3's villain over P4's in terms of character. (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Adachi, but Takaya had more of a goal and a good reason for his actions, rather then "Because I can". He was more literally pitiful, yet at the same time more intimidating.)
---
You can pretend the theatrical end and imagine your world as the best, or you can break the seal in what you believe is real and realize your reality's a jest.
#5GSSAGE7Posted 2/21/2013 7:56:56 PM
The_Jest posted...
As someone who has also played 4 first then 3 second, I can safely say that, yes, some of these characters aren't necessarily good. but they'll grow on you sooner or later. While there may be one character I want shot out of the party, (Looking at you, Yukari. Don't think I forgot about your actions in the Answer.) there's also one member of Persona 4's party I hate, so we're even. (Looking at you Rise. You may have prove yourself more useful in Golden, but I don't like you, or your social link!) The social link characters are pretty good, but in their own way. I personally prefer the Sun of P3 over the Sun of P4 (Social Links, I mean.) and while characters like Junpei annoyed the crap out of me at first, as the game went on, I've grown to like him. (Even Yukari was at least decent in the story of P3. ...Still doesn't forgive her personality in the Answer.)

Bottom Line: You'll get use to them as you play along. They may not be like P4's characters, but considering the story of P3, that might be for the better. They have their own charm in that game. Also, if I may be perfectly honest, I personally favor P3's villain over P4's in terms of character. (Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Adachi, but Takaya had more of a goal and a good reason for his actions, rather then "Because I can". He was more literally pitiful, yet at the same time more intimidating.)

That's not fair to compare Adachi to Takaya. A better comparison would be Adachi and Ikutsuki.
#6Bryton5(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 8:05:03 PM
alright. yea its just kind of wierd. im so attached to the characters in p4g that its wierd trying to get used to/like new people. hell i even cried at a CERTAIN point in p4g
#7kratoscar2008Posted 2/21/2013 8:10:07 PM
The difference is that P4 gang can pander all they want so you can see them get togueter and see how they interact, the P3 cast cant because they are on a mission, they are in school they have their own problems (Last time i checked the P4 cast doesnt even attend clubs, they are really lazy), they have to focus while having to deal with Tartarus.

In the end i liked more the P3 cast because they grow trhought the story and they bond feels more developed than the P4 cast (Just see how they accept Marie like nothing, it seems that their relationship is unnatural).

Aniways the P2 cast beat the P3&p4 cast in every single way.
---
The official Vulcanus of the Shin Megami Tensei IV boards
http://www.gaijinworks.com/ Support CoH 2 Physical release.
#8GSSAGE7Posted 2/21/2013 8:10:11 PM
Did you get one of the PS2 versions, of Portable?
#9The_JestPosted 2/21/2013 8:15:38 PM
GSSAGE7 posted...
The_Jest posted...

That's not fair to compare Adachi to Takaya. A better comparison would be Adachi and Ikutsuki.

Hmmm, Touche'. But even then, Ikutsuki is better. Maybe not in battle prowess, but he still had a better reasoning for his actions. ...I could say if whether or not he fared better at tricking the party to believing he's a good guy, but that's debatable, and should probably be discussed somewhere else.
---
You can pretend the theatrical end and imagine your world as the best, or you can break the seal in what you believe is real and realize your reality's a jest.
#10Bryton5(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 8:19:11 PM
GSSAGE7 posted...
Did you get one of the PS2 versions, of Portable?

got portable, he thought of not being able to control all of my team overweighed no anime cutscenes and a few other stuff. plus i wanted it on my vita