Best JRPG ever. *possible spoilers*

#141BlazeVXPosted 3/8/2013 10:54:38 AM
kratoscar2008 posted...
BlazeVX posted...

Yea...it also helps that no one rejects it either but yea they just want to kill you.

Exactly this. I know in the end what wins was the whole power of friendship thing but at least here it feels real and that you worked hard to earn those bonds you made even if you kinda die though >_>

I wonder who was the writer and director for P4 because it did take a step backwards from P3 in everything apart from controlling your party. Well I read that P5 was going back to its roots so it'll probably be dark again like in P1 and P2 but that was just a rumor, well to be fair it is a matter of cultural differences at work.

-I like after Shadow Tatsuya finishes Tatsuya just plays with his flicker like saying "Whatever you said", and facing your other self that looks exactly like you is more frightening than a bird in a cage and a giant frog.

-In P3 was different because the characters were aware of the situation while the P4 was kinda dead when Yu fought Izanami with his friendship boost, no to mention Nyx looked more frightening and her Death attack was more climatic.

-I dunno i hope if they hire him again then he makes a better job contrasting cheerful atmosphere with serious tones, i dont want another anime material Persona game.

-they stated that P5 will be the equivalent of P3 when compared to P2, i mean it will be so different that it wont resemble neither Persona game, however they said that P4 wouldnt see a remake but they did so dont take their words too at heart and given this game popularity im leaning to think that P5 will resemble P4 the most.

I know, its just weird and scary while the bosses of P4 looked more comical if anything. I mean weird frog thing, dominatrix banana head, bird, some really buff man thing, robot (I think, I forgot), pixel character, baby.

Yea the true end of P4 was really random and it seemed like it was added it just to extend the game really cause it just appears with not much going for why it was there in the first place.

I felt that P4 was a bit weird flipping from serious to comical a bit to quickly which was why I compared it to an Agatha Christie novel where the detective randomly does things and ignores the case.

I hope not but from pictures only in that Px5 videos it looks like P5 is going to be darker in tone than P4 and there is speculation from the color schemes P1 is grey, P2IS is red, P2EP is purple, P3 is blue or pink in P3P, P4 is yellow and P5 seems to have a black and white theme. Just speculation on other forums though.
#142kratoscar2008Posted 3/8/2013 11:11:15 AM
BlazeVX posted...
kratoscar2008 posted...
BlazeVX posted...

Yea...it also helps that no one rejects it either but yea they just want to kill you.

Exactly this. I know in the end what wins was the whole power of friendship thing but at least here it feels real and that you worked hard to earn those bonds you made even if you kinda die though >_>

I wonder who was the writer and director for P4 because it did take a step backwards from P3 in everything apart from controlling your party. Well I read that P5 was going back to its roots so it'll probably be dark again like in P1 and P2 but that was just a rumor, well to be fair it is a matter of cultural differences at work.

-I like after Shadow Tatsuya finishes Tatsuya just plays with his flicker like saying "Whatever you said", and facing your other self that looks exactly like you is more frightening than a bird in a cage and a giant frog.

-In P3 was different because the characters were aware of the situation while the P4 was kinda dead when Yu fought Izanami with his friendship boost, no to mention Nyx looked more frightening and her Death attack was more climatic.

-I dunno i hope if they hire him again then he makes a better job contrasting cheerful atmosphere with serious tones, i dont want another anime material Persona game.

-they stated that P5 will be the equivalent of P3 when compared to P2, i mean it will be so different that it wont resemble neither Persona game, however they said that P4 wouldnt see a remake but they did so dont take their words too at heart and given this game popularity im leaning to think that P5 will resemble P4 the most.

I know, its just weird and scary while the bosses of P4 looked more comical if anything. I mean weird frog thing, dominatrix banana head, bird, some really buff man thing, robot (I think, I forgot), pixel character, baby.

Yea the true end of P4 was really random and it seemed like it was added it just to extend the game really cause it just appears with not much going for why it was there in the first place.

I felt that P4 was a bit weird flipping from serious to comical a bit to quickly which was why I compared it to an Agatha Christie novel where the detective randomly does things and ignores the case.

I hope not but from pictures only in that Px5 videos it looks like P5 is going to be darker in tone than P4 and there is speculation from the color schemes P1 is grey, P2IS is red, P2EP is purple, P3 is blue or pink in P3P, P4 is yellow and P5 seems to have a black and white theme. Just speculation on other forums though.

Thats fanmade i dont fault you i thought too that was P5 but no its fanmade, but at least if P5 is the same or darker than that fanwork then we are for a feast.
---
The official Vulcanus of the Shin Megami Tensei IV boards
http://www.gaijinworks.com/ Support CoH 2 Physical release.
#143Storm ChamberPosted 3/8/2013 11:57:49 AM
Since P5 will apparently be nothing like P4, I'm expecting a whole bunch of people here to hate it.

Myself? I can't wait.

Don't get me wrong, I like P3/P4 but enough is enough.
---
"We will not solve our problems by announcing them to the general public. We only speed ourselves on our way to the gallows." - Dr. Harlan Fontaine
#144BrightShield786Posted 3/8/2013 12:03:12 PM
Also newsflash: there is such thing as wrong opinion.

Not when dealing with something as childish and petty as "my <insert media> is better than your <insert media>". And that's all this topic is.
---
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword." - Eddard Stark - A Game of Thrones
#145Strain42Posted 3/8/2013 6:46:22 PM
"Nobody liked Sonic 2006. If you think you did, you're wrong. It's like saying you like listening to somebody sing off key or you only like reading books that have been doused in brown sludge. I know it's your opinion, but your opinion is JUST WRONG." ~Yahtzee Croshaw

Sorry lol I stopped following the conversation, that quote just came to mind :P
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#146ikilledkenny2Posted 3/8/2013 7:22:15 PM
Strain42 posted...

...I can't be the only person who realized that is NOT something that should be put into a supernatural murder mystery RPG. That's something I'd expect from a bad high school sitcom from the 90's.

Script is pretty good. Story is terrible. That's where the difference lies.

I think the problem is that people seem to think Persona 4 having a murder mystery aspect is the be all and end all of the story.

It's not.

Persona 4's story is about a new kid moving to town, getting involved in a dangerous case at times but also living his life. It's more a slice of life story, if anything. Those who say the game is about friendship and having fun are right; the main story of Persona 4 centers around the theme of acceptance and truth. Whether that's the characters coming to terms with their insecurities, the murder mystery, or accepting each other and becoming better friends, the story is all about accepting people for their flaws, accepting reality, and figuring things out for yourself as opposed to being spoonfed.

Everything in the game resolves around this when it's a plot important scene. The game's central plot is not the murder mystery. The game's plot is every scene, every social link, whenever someone realizes the truth behind their feelings or comes to accept an aspect of their lives. The murders are just one of many events in the city that lead to the protagonists accepting themselves and others for who they are.

Persona 4 has never been a "mystery" anyway, minus December. The characters are much more focused on catching the guy in the act and saving victims than they are investigating for clues as to who the killer may be.
#147kratoscar2008Posted 3/8/2013 8:57:30 PM
ikilledkenny2 posted...
Strain42 posted...

...I can't be the only person who realized that is NOT something that should be put into a supernatural murder mystery RPG. That's something I'd expect from a bad high school sitcom from the 90's.

Script is pretty good. Story is terrible. That's where the difference lies.

the story is all about accepting people for their flaws, accepting reality, and figuring things out for yourself as opposed to being spoonfed.

The thing here is that ALL the characters doesnt figure anything out for themselves ANYTHING, its the MC that does it, he spoon feed them and witouth him they wouldnt see their problems AT ALL. Then the case its figured by the MC too, witouth him those guys would had become murderes.
---
The official Vulcanus of the Shin Megami Tensei IV boards
http://www.gaijinworks.com/ Support CoH 2 Physical release.
#148ikilledkenny2Posted 3/8/2013 9:32:42 PM
That's not true, though. The characters all confront their shadows by themselves once the party has roughed them up a bit. The party reaches out to people who are suffering to support them a bit and let them know that's okay to have these problems. It's actually a very real issue in teenagers that many of them keep their problems silent and suffer for it--having people to talk to and support you is extremely important. The reason Kanji's able to accept his sexuality and Naoto comes to terms with her gender is because they finally have people to talk about it with who won't judge them. In that sense, it's very realistic, and it's not so much being "spoon fed" as it is that they finally have someone they can open up to.

As for solving the mystery, Yosuke and Naoto are usually pretty good at putting the facts together. MC has to push them in the right direction a bit, but the characters will always figure it out themselves if you decide to pick the stupid options or something. MC is a pretty smart guy, but the party can think for themselves, too. I know a lot of people have problems with how Naoto deduces the killer, but she does that completely on her own with just a small hint from MC going "hey maybe it's _____ guys"
#149BlazeVXPosted 3/8/2013 10:19:44 PM
kratoscar2008 posted...
Thats fanmade i dont fault you i thought too that was P5 but no its fanmade, but at least if P5 is the same or darker than that fanwork then we are for a feast.

I know its fanmade but I got my hopes on it being close to it or darker. I want another P2 like game where everything was done very well from story to characters to gameplay, I really hate for it to be another P4.

ikilledkenny2 posted...
That's not true, though. The characters all confront their shadows by themselves once the party has roughed them up a bit. The party reaches out to people who are suffering to support them a bit and let them know that's okay to have these problems. It's actually a very real issue in teenagers that many of them keep their problems silent and suffer for it--having people to talk to and support you is extremely important. The reason Kanji's able to accept his sexuality and Naoto comes to terms with her gender is because they finally have people to talk about it with who won't judge them. In that sense, it's very realistic, and it's not so much being "spoon fed" as it is that they finally have someone they can open up to.

As for solving the mystery, Yosuke and Naoto are usually pretty good at putting the facts together. MC has to push them in the right direction a bit, but the characters will always figure it out themselves if you decide to pick the stupid options or something. MC is a pretty smart guy, but the party can think for themselves, too. I know a lot of people have problems with how Naoto deduces the killer, but she does that completely on her own with just a small hint from MC going "hey maybe it's _____ guys"

No they don't, after each battle most of them as the MC if they should accept their shadow or not so the MC then needs to hold their hand and tell them "its okay" for them to accept it, if the MC was never there you would have to fight the shadows multiple times because they will never accept it and thats beyond realistic. P3 got it right with the SL since no one trusts you that much even if you save their life and become best buds instantly, it takes time for people to warm up to you and thats where the SL are meant to work, in P4 though you become best buds instantly so what the hell is the point of the SL now? nothing.

Again if the MC weren't there they wouldn't even solve the murder because there was no one to hold their hand so they feel confident enough to solve it.
#150ikilledkenny2Posted 3/8/2013 10:42:56 PM(edited)
Not true either. During Naoto's shadow, It's Kanji that comforts Naoto initially by telling her it's okay to let her fears out and that they'll do their job of kicking the shadows ass. The whole party then talks to her after. Or Teddie's shadow is confronted after he becomes self concious about Rise's link, and it's the whole party who comforts him. Yosuke he has an especially close bond with. Your criticism of the plot in that regard holds no water

The main character is the center of the story because he's the main character. The social links in the game among the party are generally about the MC and whoever you're linking with moving past their insecurity and now confronting the issues in their lives. Like, inside the TV, Yosuke realizes his problem, but it's only in his S Link that he moves on from Saki. All the S Links are like that. Rise comes to terms with her identity but only solves her issue of being an idol in her S Link. Kanji accepts his identity but only becomes comfortable with being open about it in his Link. P4's Party S Links are about moving forward in life rather than forging friendships(they're already there.)

The NPC S Links don't start that way though and to say otherwise is just false. Ai is a huge ***** who treats you as her ***** when you first meet her. The tutoring kid is a dick. Naoki straight out hates you.