Question on SLinks and fusing Personas (spoilers)

#1JetblackmoonPosted 3/7/2013 2:26:54 AM
I'm a new player of this game (please no spoilers past the death of King Moron, as that's where I'm at), and I'm looking for some help with SLinks.

Basically, I'm trying to advance my SLinks as much as possible. A lot of the time at night, I have the option to spend time with Nanako, but it'll say something like, "You feel like your relationship isn't ready to advance yet..." or something like that. When it says this, is it still worth spending time with her (or any character really)? What I've been doing so far, is if I have the option to spend time with multiple people, I'll try to go for one where I can actually advance the SLink, but I'm a bit concerned, because I read somewhere that the SLinks with Nanako and Dojima can't be advanced after a certain point in the game.

I'm also wondering if you have lunch with someone (and the lunch is properly cooked) does that guarantee that the SLink with them will advance the next time you hang out? Every time I've had lunch with someone so far, it seems to always say it feels like the relationship will grow closer soon, but that could just be a coincidence, I suppose.

For fusing Personas, I just need general tips. I'm using a level 33 or 34 King Frost right now I believe, but is there a way to tell if the Persona you're fusing will be good in the long run? King Frost was great for Shadow Teddie, but when I'm making them, I'm not really sure what to look for, apart from decent skills/level.

Thanks for any help!
---
Hey, everyone! This store discriminates against the poor!
#2deadpool_legendPosted 3/7/2013 2:34:26 AM
I'm not really sure how the system works, but from what I can gather, spending time with characters raises some kind of invisible meter and they basically level up socially. Eating lunch with them, hanging out with them on weekends, having a Persona that corresponds to their Link, etc...it all makes the meter build.
---
"Hairy Zeus on a traffic light!"
-Deadpool, Issue #3
#3Jetblackmoon(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 8:02:45 PM
Bump. I'm now up to the bit just after you go to the beach with your friends, but I'm still wondering the same stuff. Persona I'm now mainly using is called... Black Frost? At least I think that's it. It has drain against ice and fire, and I think it's resistant to Darkness.
---
#4demunpuncherPosted 3/8/2013 9:13:35 PM
S. Links work on a point system. Giving the correct responses will give points, as will spending time with them, having a Persona on stock that is of the same Arcana (it doesn't have to be equipped, just on hand) will multiply the points gained by either 1.5x or 2x (or something around there at least). It's important to always take along a corresponding Persona every time you hang out with them.
Some S. Links will require you to either spend time with them or draw fortunes at the shrine for a few ranks no matter what you do. Temperance for example either requires at least two weeks of spending time with or a lot of fortune drawing.

As for the fusion question, you can always look them up in the Persona wikia to see what skills they learn, but it's not going to be until Personas that are fusable in the 60s and 70s that you'll find many long-time keepers. Black Frost is pretty much the best before that point, especially if you can get him with one of spells from the Megido family to make him a sweeper.
#5Jetblackmoon(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 1:47:41 AM
Ah, see, I didn't realize having that type of Persona on hand would help. Haven't done much fortune drawing at the shrine yet, but I've helped out the Fox a few times.

I'm a bit hesitant to look up things on the wiki, as I'm trying hard to avoid spoilers as I play the game.

Thanks for the help with the SLinks - they're coming along decently. Got my first one to 10 today.
---
#6Jetblackmoon(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 5:35:25 PM
I've now rescued Naoto and am waiting for the killer to make the next move. Since it's a rainy day, a friend suggested I work on Margaret's requests. I'm on the third one so far, but I'm getting a better understanding of how the fusion works. I've looked at all the stuff I'll have to do though, and some of it looks like it'll be a bit of a pain.
---