So what exactly are the stipulations for encountering The Reaper?

#1Prometheus4208Posted 4/28/2013 7:56:25 PM
I know you have to open 21 chest in the same dungeon and then he will be in the next non-golden chest on the same floor.... Right?

So if that's the case, I have a few questions.

What resets him? Can i exit and save first? Can I change floors? Should I not open my 21st chest until I make sure there is a 22nd on the same floor? Is there anything I can do to make it appear quicker/more often? Does it matter if I fight other shadows before I open the chest he's in?

Thanks in advance for any responses. I know there are plenty of topics similar to this, but I saw conflicting reports so I figured I would outright ask.
---
My VITA: P4G, Guacamelee, Dragon Fantasy, Soul Sacrifice Demo, Zero Escape, Disgaea 3, Mortal Kombat, PS All-Stars, Atelier Totori, 6 PSOne games, 6 PSP games
#2MakatoNarakamiPosted 4/28/2013 8:03:21 PM
I could try...but he has me beat

wilfreda posted...
The counter only resets when you exit the dungeon if you're hearing the chains at the time. So, since you want to be sure you're starting the cycle in the right place, exit (just the dungeon, not the TV) when you hear them. Then return and start counting the chests at 1 again. Once you've opened 20 (it does not matter what color they are or whether they're locked), go back to the TV entrance and save. Return to any dungeon; the next chest is the 21st and you should hear the chains. If the reaper is not in the following (22nd) chest, reload from your post-20 save and do it again. The reason you save after 20 is so that, if you don't get the reaper, you don't have to go through and open 22 more chests, you can just retry from the same spot.

It can be hard to hear the chains because the sound tends to start quietly and gradually ramp up. It's probably happened to you already and you didn't realize because you left the floor, opened another chest, or got into a battle before the chain sound got loud enough to really notice. Also, some of the dungeon music camouflages it more than others. So if you're trying to hear the chains for the first time, after opening each chest, wait 10 seconds or so to be absolutely sure whether it's happening or not.

Hope that was more clear. Good luck!

And here it is again in another thread

wilfreda posted...
Changing floors does not reset the counter unless you are actually hearing the chains at the time. I think people suggest repeating that certain floor in Yukiko's castle because it always has four chests, making it easier to keep track of how many you've opened, not because you have to stay on the same floor to keep the counter from resetting. Hope that helps clear up that one point.

You can choose whichever to read, but he knows his stuff.
---
The fastest way to ruin a series you like is to get to know the other people playing it zodiac_sword
#3Prometheus4208(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 8:07:59 PM
Awesome, thanks. That definitely helps.
---
My VITA: P4G, Guacamelee, Dragon Fantasy, Soul Sacrifice Demo, Zero Escape, Disgaea 3, Mortal Kombat, PS All-Stars, Atelier Totori, 6 PSOne games, 6 PSP games
#4MakatoNarakamiPosted 4/28/2013 8:32:54 PM
You're welcome, guess I saved him some typing is all.
---
The fastest way to ruin a series you like is to get to know the other people playing it zodiac_sword
#5Prometheus4208(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 8:48:05 PM
Ok so I just beat the Reaper for the first time. I got the MC's weapon as a drop, do I have to just keep fighting it to get everyone else's weapon too? If so, are the drops all random?
---
#6tigg06Posted 4/29/2013 12:07:10 AM
I haven't done a lot of reading about this game lol.. and the first real persona I've actually been able to go into.. but just encountered the reaper in the Void level. I was just grinding and going to kill the Shadow that had taken over after finishing the story line through the level, went to open a chest (just a regular blue level chest) and Rise told me she sensed something wrong, something evil and that I shouldn't open the chest.. did anyways and there it was and it ate me. Odd thing was.. that I had only opened 2 other chests in that level since coming back after completing the story line through it.
---
psn - tiggman ninid - christophers xboxlive - tigg06