21 hours in and I still feel like I don't know how to play :( help!

#1gfaqsterPosted 7/29/2013 1:00:18 AM
Ok so the part that gives me the most trouble is the dungeon rescue segments.

Basically I can buy a ton of healing items easily BUT items to buy for SP are no where to be found and I can harvest tomatos for 20sp but when you have like 200sp then its just pathetic to use them.

After 2-3 floors I'm out of SP and then battles start getting hard as f***
The Fox costs a s***load of money to restore your health and stuff.

Am I supposed to only do a few floors every day?
I hate that they practically force you out of dungeons and don't let you buy big SP items >_>

Also I've only been using my default Izanagi persona the entire time is this good? he is like level 16 and all my other party member's personas are like level 20+
Should I stop using it and focus on my other personas?
whenever I get new personas I just fuse them but then don't end up using them.

Now that I have more than 4+ characters which ones should I focus on having in my party?
Should I focus on all of them equally or do they level up even if I don't use them?

I don't run from battles and level up a bit for each dungeon but boss battles still feel pretty hard and usually involve me reviving characters and stuff a lot. Is this normal?

Thanks to anyone that can help me out.
---
We live to make the impossible possible!
-Lightning-
#2dawnbombPosted 7/29/2013 1:11:08 AM
gfaqster posted...
Ok so the part that gives me the most trouble is the dungeon rescue segments.

Basically I can buy a ton of healing items easily BUT items to buy for SP are no where to be found and I can harvest tomatos for 20sp but when you have like 200sp then its just pathetic to use them.

After 2-3 floors I'm out of SP and then battles start getting hard as f***
The Fox costs a s***load of money to restore your health and stuff.

Am I supposed to only do a few floors every day?
I hate that they practically force you out of dungeons and don't let you buy big SP items >_>

Also I've only been using my default Izanagi persona the entire time is this good? he is like level 16 and all my other party member's personas are like level 20+
Should I stop using it and focus on my other personas?
whenever I get new personas I just fuse them but then don't end up using them.

Now that I have more than 4+ characters which ones should I focus on having in my party?
Should I focus on all of them equally or do they level up even if I don't use them?

I don't run from battles and level up a bit for each dungeon but boss battles still feel pretty hard and usually involve me reviving characters and stuff a lot. Is this normal?

Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

lol? stop using iznagi and fuse him, he should have stopped being useful by like level 5.

also for time optimizing your meant to beat a dungeon in a SINGLE DAY.

you are meant to be conservitive with MP and try to hit weaknesses and fight SMART. use all out attacks, get snuff souls out of chests, and save money for the fox.

the daycare Slink earns you money, and as you play 2 more jobs are also Slinks that earn money, also you CAN buy SP items. (far cheaper then the fox)

at the item shop, there is a vending machine almost RIGHT at the entrance, every week you can buy 5 TaP sodas from it, they restore 10 SP each (50 SP total) after a week (or so) the machine gets refilled and you can buy another 5.

in Origonal P4 floors didn't regenerate so you needed (realisticly) 2 days for yukikos dungeon. but in golden you can get infinite chests for snuff souls for MP and call for mana online (and the game expects you to abuse this because MP costs have gone up slightly)

warning: as you continue, be aware of team chemistry, chie and yukiko have a team attack, you have have seen it, its twin dragons and happens randomly, but the only others people with team attacks are the 1st and 5th member and the 4th and 6th member.

(first being yoskue and forth being kanju, figure the rest out alone to avoid spoilers ;3 )

so say yoskue chie 5th is bad where yoskue chie yukiko is good cause a team attack can happen

finally revisit old dungeons by talking to the owner (yukiko's castle) in TV world, a new boss it at the top with VERY good equips for them *do not try without full MP and having leveled*

*tip talk to yoskue to go to his 'dungeon' it has a weapon for him if u can find it*

more i could say but il stop here
#3KefkaesqueXIIIPosted 7/29/2013 1:38:47 AM(edited)
Work on the Fox's SL to lower its price

For party, generally just go with who you like since the MC can cover any gaps. Personally, I prefer to have either Yukiko or [the 5th person to join] on any of my teams as they are the only ones to learn the media line through regular leveling, but that's just because I prefer my MC to be a tactical nuke rather than a medic (though I still keep a medic persona on standby just in case).

To help a little on the SP side of things, fuse a persona with Invigorate (I think Sarasvati is a relatively low level one). When your equipped persona has Invigorate, you regain a little SP every turn, so you can use a Goho-M, return to the first floor of Yukiko's castle and just guard as a free way of restoring the MC's SP.
---
"My faith protects me. My Kevlar helps." Michael Carpenter - Death Masks
Official Norn of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#4dawnbombPosted 7/29/2013 1:55:59 AM
KefkaesqueXIII posted...
Work on the Fox's SL to lower its price

For party, generally just go with who you like since the MC can cover any gaps. Personally, I prefer to have either Yukiko or [the 5th person to join] on any of my teams as they are the only ones to learn the media line through regular leveling, but that's just because I prefer my MC to be a tactical nuke rather than a medic (though I still keep a medic persona on standby just in case).

To help a little on the SP side of things, fuse a persona with Invigorate (I think Sarasvati is a relatively low level one). When your equipped persona has Invigorate, you regain a little SP every turn, so you can use a Goho-M, return to the first floor of Yukiko's castle and just guard as a free way of restoring the MC's SP.

yatagaratsu in every smt game gets a skill called cool breeze that regens MP, its usually its last or second last skill.
#5Inertion5Posted 7/29/2013 9:35:10 AM
What's with people being unable to fuse?
You're using Izanagi all this time, he's level 16 and obviously can't learn any more skills. Just how can that be good?
---
Learn the chart man.
#6Latios77Posted 7/29/2013 10:13:48 AM
lol omg you made the same mistake as i did, fuse him to create stronger ones and keep fusing them
---
Looking forward to : Ys Celceta, Dragon's Crown,FFX HD, Toukiden, Demon Gaze, Mind Zero
#7CatMutoPosted 7/29/2013 12:31:29 PM
Inertion5 posted...
What's with people being unable to fuse?

I wouldn't quite say Unable to fuse, more like not knowing the advantage of it. After all, in a lot of games it's always the first monster/companion/etc that became kind of pointless partially through the game to suddenly become super awesome later on. During my first Playthrough, I kept Izanagi for a while, but eventually did fuse him with something else to get a different Persona.
Although knowing the full mechanics of fusing is still something I don't know, I don't get it... Skill changing and inheriting things, whether it's in the PS2 or Golden version.

As the others say, fuse better Persona and make sure to take advantage of weaknesses in battles and not waste your SP all the time. If you face a group all weak against the same thing, use that and All Out Attack them and you should be done. Dungeons should be able to be done within one day, at least getting to the top floor.

I would personally say focus on the characters you use the most. I stuck to Yukiko, Yosuke and Chie in the later game as, while Chie didn't get much better with Ice magic, she did become a good physical fighter with God Hand and all that. And Yukiko is the best Medic, what with getting Salvation...

C-A
---
9 out of 10 voices are telling me I'm sane
Voice number 10 is humming the Chocobo Theme