P4 main character's name: Yu Narukami

#11Strain42Posted 9/3/2011 7:15:04 PM
Are there any major staff members that worked on both Trauma Center and Persona?

Maybe that's just the name of a friend or something.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/
#12SpacePr8RobertsPosted 9/3/2011 11:39:31 PM
Heh, Naru means roar? *thinks back to Love Hina* ...that makes PERFECT sense, lol.

And I wonder if they intentionally gave the MC a name which becomes a pun when read in English. (Yu = "you," i.e. the player.)
---
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
#13SephirothtPosted 9/4/2011 12:14:50 AM
Itīs pretty much confirmed thatīs gonna be MCīs official name, seeing as they also use it for the anime.
---
If the resident trolls were more like Terumi,
things would be a lot more awesome and bring a lot less headaches.
#14TranslatorTom(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2011 1:11:58 AM
I'd say that's likely, LordPerrin.
#15TranslatorTom(Topic Creator)Posted 9/4/2011 1:15:28 AM
By the way, naru can be translated several different ways, depending on the kanji and context.
#16Strain42Posted 9/4/2011 9:37:28 AM
Itīs pretty much confirmed thatīs gonna be MCīs official name, seeing as they also use it for the anime.

It was really a gray area about whether or not the anime name would count as canon. Atlus is producing it, but they also produced Trinity Soul, which was written out of continuity.

So yeah, his anime name was fairly flimsy proof. But since the name is being used in a game that's confirmed canon, that's a bit better.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/
#17Demeanor190283Posted 9/5/2011 4:00:50 PM
I read an article somewhere commenting on the puns in P4MC's lastest name:

- Yu as in "you", the player;
- Narukami as a name for a great thunderbolt, from Izanagi's affinity to Thunder (Zio, resist elec); the term narukami is used here and there for mega-lightnings, just think of Nazuna's Critical Heart in Arcana Heart 3 (Narukami!) or if you want a SMT citation, one of the high level thunder Mantras in Digital Devil Saga was called Narukami;
- Narukami also as Naru = to become and Kami = God, since acquiring Izanagi no Ookami and being able to punch Izanami in the face are more or less godlike feats.

Minato STILL owns anyone though :P
#18DrHarlockPosted 9/6/2011 2:21:54 AM
Souji Seta was a much better name. Charlie Tunoku is better too.
---
You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you.
#19Strain42Posted 9/6/2011 11:43:46 AM
People just wanna defend Souji Seta because it was there first and they're all used to it now.

If Yu Narukami had been his manga name and we later found out his real name was Souji Seta we'd have just as many people complaining about it.
---
#20TranslatorTom(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2011 2:28:08 AM
"Narukami also as Naru = to become and Kami = God"

Those use totally different letters. Kami has many readings. For example, it can be spelled with the kanji for God, Paper, Roar or Hair...

The kanji used in the name are Roar and Above.