Why can't people accept canon?

#1Strain42Posted 3/17/2012 9:20:22 AM
I'm stuck in a shouting match with this guy over on the P5 board who clearly has no idea how canon works. For one, he refuses to believe this game is canon despite both Hashino and Wada saying that it was.

And to add ignorance to injury, he believes that the names Minato Arisato and Souji Seta ARE canon (Yu original name was Seji Seta, but they decided to change it for some odd reason to probably match his Persona Izanagi) <-- quote from him...seriously...I couldn't make up something that stupid.

I understand if people don't like the idea of this game, or even if people hate the story and wish that it wasn't canon. But to argue that it's not canon is just wrong.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/641809-persona-5/62164146

If any of you wanna jump on that dog pile...

Of course, after re-reading this topic, it raises the much bigger question of why do jackasses like me CARE if people accept something as canon?

I guess for the same reason we care if someone doesn't believe the earth revolves around the sun. Because they're wrong and we want to show off our smartness all over their faces :P
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/
#2SmashStrikePosted 3/17/2012 11:42:03 AM(edited)
I NEVER post of the P5 board!

Mainly because I forget to check it when I'm checking the boards I usually post on. =/

EDIT: To respond to the topic title, I think the large majority of people are pig-head and afraid of change. I think giving Yu and official name and actually combining the P3 and P4 characters legitimately in a game made a lot of people's sphincters tighten and adopt a trollish way of thinking about this game.

Another thing I seemed to get from that topic is people thinking this game contradicts previous Persona games (even though we've seen only very little of the story) and that somehow makes it non-canon. So we're getting sort of the "Apollo Justice hater's" argument. Even though that in itself it flawed and I seriously doubt P4A is anywhere near there.
---
Your twisted logic is that of an immature, egotistic brat! - Naoto Shirogane
#3IAmMC2Posted 3/17/2012 11:34:10 AM
Since when does canon mean anything for a fighting game?

Okay yeah so this is a special case of a fighter based on a game where story DOES matter, but still....I don't really think anything is going to happen in this game's story that will have a major impact on the overall canon.
---
UMVC3-Deapdool/Dorm/Dante|SF4-Oni/Akuma/Zangief/Gen/Hakan
KOFXIII-Elisabeth/Athena/Kula|BB-Hazama,Vallk, Relius
#4zeik56Posted 3/17/2012 11:47:11 AM
I didn't even realize there was a P5 board. Although I have no plans to visit yet, as this is exactly the type of thing I would expect from a board where you know literally nothing about the game.
---
A second ant? No, no, it's his brother, avenging the death of his twin.
I'm going to follow him home.....kill his whole family.
~ Space Ghost
#5Strain42(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2012 12:09:28 PM
Yeah, I probably should stay off that board. I check it every now and then to see if any new info has popped up, but in retrospect...I'm not sure why lol

I check news sites for game info, and often news of other games pops up on other boards (I found out about Eternal Punishment on the P4:G board lol)

So the P5 board is humorously enough, probably the last place I'd go to get P5 news :P
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/
#6Game JesterPosted 3/17/2012 12:58:22 PM
Truth be told a lot of douche bags oddly enough hang out on boards of games not yet released and then vanish once the game is released. It is also A LOT worse when there is no information on the game as that leads people to speculate and not accept anything but their opinion on whatever the matter at hand is.
#7nouseravailablePosted 3/17/2012 4:53:37 PM
IAmMC2 posted...
Since when does canon mean anything for a fighting game?

Okay yeah so this is a special case of a fighter based on a game where story DOES matter, but still....I don't really think anything is going to happen in this game's story that will have a major impact on the overall canon.

If the story can be interesting its all good for me. Doesnt need to completely unveil new stuff about the "first game".

Off-topic question: Wich console do you think will get P5, i thought it would be 360 and ps3 but the fact we have no news at all up to today and vita, wii-u arround the corner make me doubt a bit. Actually, most of the things about p5 are just expeculation >_>.
---
Vai Corinthians! Oh yeah, im playing Demons Souls, it is as awesome as they say....
#8Strain42(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2012 5:05:21 PM
I'm guessing PS3 with maybe a 360 version as well. Catherine and Arena both tell us Atlus isn't completely shying away from the thing.
---
#9Super SlashPosted 3/17/2012 9:05:46 PM
Is P5 even greenlit yet? I thought it was just a "Oh, that? Yeah, it's coming eventually" type of thing.
#10zeik56Posted 3/17/2012 10:13:52 PM
They confirmed pretty recently that they've started working on it, but we don't really know how far along. It sounded like it was a ways off though.
---
A second ant? No, no, it's his brother, avenging the death of his twin.
I'm going to follow him home.....kill his whole family.
~ Space Ghost