The "how does this character fight like" thread

#1CrevoxPosted 7/15/2012 5:18:45 PM(edited)
Every single thread I see someone asking about how a character is played. So, I decided to make a thread.

These are my own personal opinions. I've been following this game for months now, some other people might be able to provide a better idea for specific characters, but I've seen many matches and all the characters play many times.

The difficulty is to pick up, play, and win matches fairly quick with. Mastering the character is a whole different story and something I won't go into. Low is generally pretty easy to understand and play, medium is in between, and high can be difficult to play unless you know what you're doing or take some time to learn the character.

Yu: All around, comparable to Ragna/Ky Kiske. Uses standard sword moves along with some lightning attacks. Uses his persona similar to Relius, attacking with it.
Difficulty: Low
Persona Usage: Medium

Yosuke: Very fast, mixup heavy. Uses wind and dual kunai. Lots of aerial play, quick hits.
Difficulty: Medium

Chie: Rushdown, high damage. Uses kicks to deal heavy damage with Persona for mixup support and some decent damage.
Persona Usage: Low-Medium

Yukiko: Heavy persona use, zoning. Uses persona block-strings to get close, uses fire/fan projectiles.
Persona Usage: High

Kanji: Grappler. Slow, high health. Comparable to Tager with more range attacks/options and less throw damage. Persona uses lightning and heavy swings to give him the ability to get in on people easier and deal more damage.

Naoto: Heavy zoner/setup character. Uses a gun to keep enemies at bay and deal damage. Makes use of traps to inflict damage and lower a counter. When counter hits 0, can instant kill with 50 SP (blockable/dodgeable), requires setup. Does have some melee ability, not purely zoning. Persona helps lower counter, protect Naoto, knock enemies away, get in on people, mixup, etc.
Difficulty: Medium-High
Persona Usage: Medium-High

Teddie: Oddball character. Abnormal attacks, item throwing, teleports. Uses claws and kicks to attack enemies, persona can body slam/throw items/spawn TV/etc.

Aigis: Stance character. Can shift into "Orgia mode" when gauge is full, increasing mobility, damage, and grants access to new attacks. Gauge fills over time. Mix of melee/ranged attacks. Persona can use a giant shield to protect her, and also to attack enemies in the air.

Akihiko: Rushdown character, fast. Uses fists and lightning to deliver quick attacks. Does not use persona much. Persona gives him some range, an aerial overhead, and other supportive tools.
Difficulty: Medium-High
Persona Usage: Low

Mitsuru: Long range melee, fast. She uses long range quick jab attacks with her rapier along with ice attacks from her persona. Persona helps get in on enemies, freeze enemies, and uses a long range whip to pull enemies from the sky/beat people up in the corner.

Labrys: Heavy hitter, high health, slow. Uses a giant axe (a labrys) to pummel enemies. As she deals damage, her axe color changes (from white to red), granting her attacks increased damage and more hit-stun (heavier hits). Axe color decreases when taking damage. Persona is used for block-strings mostly, low usage, but has seen some use in higher difficulty combos.
Persona Usage: Low-Medium
#2Crevox(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2012 5:18:32 PM(edited)
Shadow Labrys: Pressure character. Low health. Controls self and "persona" simultaneously. Uses mixup and knockdowns to keep opponents shutdown, doing her best to continuously attack opponents as they stand up and giving them little chance to attack back. Persona is a shadow that deals heavy damage, key to playing her properly is attacking and controlling persona to attack enemies at the same time; technical.
Difficulty: High

Elizabeth: Zoner/momentum character. Lowest health in the game. Makes use of card attacks to keep enemies away and to open up opportunities to attack with her persona, Thanatos. Uses persona for the majority of her damage, and also provides mixups and many different attacks. Persona can attack with all elements of magic, and also has devastating melee attacks with a sword. Has the ability to inflict many different status effects, mainly making use of Fear. Has constant SP regen and can even sacrifice her HP to give her more and enter awakening.
Difficulty: High
#3SmashStrikePosted 7/15/2012 5:22:05 PM
Nice. Really cool topic. I haven't watched enough gameplay footage to offer any insight but well done.
---
Your twisted logic is that of an immature, egotistic brat! - Naoto Shirogane
#4Strain42Posted 7/15/2012 5:23:07 PM
This makes me feel good about my decision to have Labrys as my main. I look forward to this.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/
#5WRRYYYYersPosted 7/15/2012 5:26:16 PM
I think grapplers are far too often considered easy to play but in reality they are probably the hardest to play.

It's ok OP I don't hold it against you everyone makes that mistake.
---
Official Self-proclaimed [King of Tager]
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm289/_ORIONSTAR/Tagah.png
#6TheSuspectedPosted 7/15/2012 5:27:17 PM
Quickly skimming through your topic, I find that I agree with everything but your assessment of Aigis. Many players claim she's.. not quite difficult to play, but I'd think she'd be higher than medium. Just my thoughts though, otherwise I'd agree.
---
PSN:: NaRD2ndG | Steam:: NaRD (Cerebella is my picture) | www.twitch.tv/nard2ndg
Now streaming: Phantasy Star Online 2
#7Crevox(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2012 5:30:04 PM
I would provide more information, but my edit time has run out. :P

I could have/should have added some more information to characters like Kanji (how they fight besides grabbing people, the fact he uses a chair, etc) but blah. It's all still a good general idea.
#8Three_Leaf_IvyPosted 7/15/2012 5:37:49 PM
Make a supplemental post here with just that information, then!
---
What?! Oh, let me turn my music down. Yeah, cool... I'm listening.
Tales of Graces f cooking recipe spreadsheet: http://bit.ly/ToGfRecipes
#9Crevox(Topic Creator)Posted 7/15/2012 6:11:46 PM(edited)
Yu: Can also inflict Shock with Zio. Shock disables walking, dashing, running, jumping, backstepping.

Yosuke: Makes use of Persona to speed him up, deal additional hits, and also inflict Panic. Panic reverses horizontal controls.

Yukiko: Can create rings of fire, fire pillars, and other things using her Persona. Uses a "Fire Level" counter to determine how strong her fire attacks will be when she uses them (can be increased by casting Fire Boost). Has access to Fire Break, preventing the opponent from blocking one fire attack. Can also heal self using Dia.

Kanji: Makes use of a giant folding chair and fists to pummel enemies to the ground. Can throw opponents himself, or command his Persona to grab them from the air and body slam them to the ground. His persona can also create pillars of lightning on the enemy at range.

Naoto: Can inflict Mute, which prevents the enemy from calling their Persona for a short time. This prevents bursts. Can also inflict Fear.

Teddie: Can inflict Rage, preventing the opponent from blocking but increasing their attack power by 20%.

Aigis: Can shoot rockets and bullets through many different parts of her body. Only has a certain amount of bullets, and when the counter hits 0, can't shoot anymore (though you have a very large amount and won't run out unless you spam). Has a very powerful aerial fire attack with her Persona.

Akihiko: Can quickly shift sides with his opponent, dealing damage from both sides at once. His persona can also use its globe to suck in the opponent, allowing more advanced combos and preventing them from staying far away. Can also inflict Shock status.

Mitsuru: Can use Marin Karin to inflict Charm, which slowly drains the enemy's SP and adds it to your own.

Elizabeth: Can inflict Charm, Poison, Fear, and Shock. Poison deals damage over time. Fear causes all hits to be a "fatal counter", which allows for heavy damage and long combos. Making use of Fear with Elizabeth can cause the opponent to take HEAVY damage. Has access to Diarahan, healing 20% of her HP.
#10SmashStrikePosted 7/15/2012 6:06:22 PM
There are more status effects (Rage) but I don't know who uses it, actually, haha....

Oh snap! Is that the call of destiny I hear!?

... Oh no wait, that's my mom...

Anyway Teddie inflicts Rage when he uses his "deflate" move. You can see it in this vid at 0:23: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCIWgleVxT8
---
Your twisted logic is that of an immature, egotistic brat! - Naoto Shirogane