Persona 4 Arena 2 Speculation *Storyline Spoilers*

#21PinwheelePosted 8/21/2012 1:07:35 PM
If you found the heavy implications as to who the Malevolent Entity was, I'd assume Persona 2 would be much more involved with this game.

I do hope it's a sequel set after the golden epilogue though, new sprites for their outfits and all. I just feel like P2 needs some representation, given that Eternal Punishments ending truly is.. well, even more unresolved than P3s.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqeBDKhwUxM
^My Apollo Justice Fandub. My youtube channel is lonely ;~;
#22Blackguard_XXI(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2012 3:47:43 PM
There are a couple things that make me think that a sequel to this game is going to be a spin-off rather than P5.

The most obvious thing is Yu mentioning going back to Port Island. I feel like Persona 5, if the past numbered entries are any indication, should take place in a brand new town with a brand new cast. Personally, I wouldn't mind going back to Gekkoukan High School with a new cast, but that just doesn't seem like something that would happen.

Now, of course this doesn't mean that if we are getting a spin-off that it'll be a fighting game.

But considering how the Japanese PS3 version of P4A sold almost as many copies in its opening week than the first two Blazblue iterations did in their entire lifetimes, not to mention having the best opening week sale of any fighting game since SF4, the shareholders and upper business echelon in ASW and Atlus would be crazy not to demand for a follow-up.
#23dustingallnightPosted 8/21/2012 4:28:36 PM
I'll just quote a post I made on the subject of Arena 2:

Even if its a new villain(and I highly, highly doubt this, since literally everything points to it being Nyarly from the VA to the behavior) I think carrying on with an Arena 2 would be terribly disappointing.

Arena is a known quantity at this point. I was able to tolerate Arena's bad presentation because the story is a peripheral element to this new fighting game
idea they had. But with the story potential they set up, it would be a terrible shame if it all got squandered on another game where they spent it justifying how/why characters fight each other, invisible walls, pages upon pages of narration and almost zero player input.
#24LagoonTheCursedPosted 8/21/2012 4:31:20 PM
Not to mention the game in itself, if it were another (non spin-off) Persona game, would be limited to a few days, as Persona 4 Golden's epilogue is around the same time as P4A, yeah?
I know many SMT games go by a few days, but Persona isn't one of those games that can quite do that, especially with Social Links.
#25Blackguard_XXI(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2012 4:40:42 PM
LagoonTheCursed posted...
Not to mention the game in itself, if it were another (non spin-off) Persona game, would be limited to a few days, as Persona 4 Golden's epilogue is around the same time as P4A, yeah?
I know many SMT games go by a few days, but Persona isn't one of those games that can quite do that, especially with Social Links.

No, the epilogue is set during summer vacation 2012 or 2013, it isn't specified which year.

Assuming it's the start of summer vacation, the group can easily take a trip to Port Island and do whatever it is they do.
#26GuiltyGearGodPosted 8/21/2012 5:45:24 PM
I do agree with TC's idea that P4A is setting up for a P4A2 and not P5. Each Persona game so far has been completely stand-alone. To suddenly pull a Persona 5: All-Stars would be completely out of character for the series, and for Atlus as a whole IMHO. And besides, keep in mind that this is also an Arksys game. The minute I finished the first non-Labrys story mode, I thought "Oh yeah, these are the BlazBlue guys."

That being said, I expect that P4A2 will take place on Tatsumi Port Island, maybe in dark hour versions of locations from the school like how they used TV versions of locations in the school here. Also, the new BlazBlue coming out will have three distinct story modes rather than one for each character, so they could do something similar here.

What I don't agree with is that it'll take place after the epilogue. Keep in mind that P4A took place during all of one day, and they still have all of Golden Week. Also, if P4A2 was post-epilogue, then they'd have to use the post-epilogue looks. At the very least, can you see Epilogue Kanji smacking things with a chair?
---
Thou shalt not think that any man over the age of 30 that plays with a child that is not his own is a pedophile. Some people are just nice.
#27dustingallnightPosted 8/21/2012 6:32:42 PM
GuiltyGearGod posted...
I do agree with TC's idea that P4A is setting up for a P4A2 and not P5. Each Persona game so far has been completely stand-alone. To suddenly pull a Persona 5: All-Stars would be completely out of character for the series, and for Atlus as a whole IMHO. And besides, keep in mind that this is also an Arksys game. The minute I finished the first non-Labrys story mode, I thought "Oh yeah, these are the BlazBlue guys."

Persona team did the story, dude. The credits reveal Arc Sys had no hand in any of it.

Besides, who says this need to be carried on in either P5 or Arena 2? They can make another spin-off. I'm fine with anything, as long as it isn't Arena 2.
#28Blackguard_XXI(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2012 9:55:00 PM
GuiltyGearGod posted...
What I don't agree with is that it'll take place after the epilogue. Keep in mind that P4A took place during all of one day, and they still have all of Golden Week. Also, if P4A2 was post-epilogue, then they'd have to use the post-epilogue looks. At the very least, can you see Epilogue Kanji smacking things with a chair?

P4A took place mostly on Showa Day, I suppose, but a lot of the exposition happened a week leading up to the day. I suppose they can have P4A2 occur during Greenery and Children's Day, and have the trip to Port Island occur then.

I can totally see geeky Kanji smacking dudes around with a chair. That'd be fun.
#29dustingallnightPosted 8/21/2012 10:52:31 PM
Blackguard_XXI posted...
GuiltyGearGod posted...

P4A took place mostly on Showa Day, I suppose, but a lot of the exposition happened a week leading up to the day. I suppose they can have P4A2 occur during Greenery and Children's Day, and have the trip to Port Island occur then.

I can totally see geeky Kanji smacking dudes around with a chair. That'd be fun.

Setting it after the epilogue would mean completely redoing(at least) 7 of the HD sprites. This isn't a game with 3D models which you can texture and add objects to -- they have to start from scratch. Doing a full spriteset in an Arc game literally takes them months.

If there is an Arena 2, there is no way its going to take place after the epilogue. They need to reuse these sprites.
#30Semi45aPosted 8/21/2012 11:03:11 PM(edited)
Final boss should be Shadow Minato w/ Nyx Persona (a fake conjured by Nyarlathotep)
Takaya - sub-boss
Adachi is hidden character