Is Liz's 2D useless?

#1GactivefyPosted 10/4/2012 9:07:31 PM
Using it seems to guarantee the opponent time to break Thanatos no matter how much oki your ender has.

Obviously doing it raw is akin to putting your controller down for five seconds and letting your opponent break Thanatos and begin all kinds of pressure simultaneously for no cost, especially seeing as how it seems to have worse range than it appears to.

It can be used in the middle of some corner combos, but I can't think of a way to do so without sacrificing much more potential damage than the poison would ever do.

I've seen one Japanese player use it occasionally, but it always involved him ending a combo sooner than optimally and/ or getting blown up for it, royally.

Is there something I'm missing here, or is this move just really that bad?
---
"Stop it with the sexual innuendos, guys. This is a serious question." - Meteorites, R.I.P. 2005-2012
you will always be loved
#2313ArcherPosted 10/4/2012 9:13:51 PM
"This move has uses in some corner combos and after a sweep; these situations guarantee that your opponent will be poisoned."

I don't know why, but the risk for just poison is too high.

Also, you've probably tried this already, but I think you can cover thanatos with 5B or jB to get a CH combo off of it?

I don't know too much about Liz, so this is just my 2 cents.
#3TheSuspectedPosted 10/4/2012 9:16:42 PM
I do it to bait counter hits.
---
PSN: NaRD2ndG | Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/nard2ndg | www.twitch.tv/nard2ndg
Now streaming: Phantasy Star Online 2
#4313ArcherPosted 10/4/2012 10:16:08 PM
bump legit topic
#5313ArcherPosted 10/4/2012 11:00:16 PM
bump
#6monkeypahngPosted 10/5/2012 5:31:50 AM
TheSuspected posted...

Pretty much seems like it's only use (excluding the poisoning effect). Considering he's so vulnerable after it and the fact that if it hits they'll be poison most likely they'll try to strike you or Thanatos to get rid of the status effect or go for a Persona break, thus leaving themselve open.

On a sidenote: Wonder where those people complaining about their not being enough gameplay discussion topics disappeared to...
---
The console with the greater spec generally loses.
FC: 1719-3458-5336 Follow me on twitter @Jamyfang
#7Gactivefy(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 12:30:51 PM
monkeypahng posted...
TheSuspected posted...

Pretty much seems like it's only use (excluding the poisoning effect). Considering he's so vulnerable after it and the fact that if it hits they'll be poison most likely they'll try to strike you or Thanatos to get rid of the status effect or go for a Persona break, thus leaving themselve open.

On a sidenote: Wonder where those people complaining about their not being enough gameplay discussion topics disappeared to...

yeah, even for the suggested uses here it still seems too risky in my opinion

you pretty much sacrifice significant damage for a chance that a gimmick might work

if you try and cover thanatos yourself, you at best have to pray her moronic mixup works or you'll get punished and all your work will be for nothing

for baiting counterhits, i understand the idea but it seems kinda impractical since thanatos appears so close to liz during the move

that tactic works in some tricks in the corner, but those are off of different moves and allow liz to get distance from thanatos first

sidenote: if those people are sad now me and that other dude can just go back to spamming polls no one gives a damn about
---
"Stop it with the sexual innuendos, guys. This is a serious question." - Meteorites, R.I.P. 2005-2012
you will always be loved
#8ParanoidDronePosted 10/5/2012 1:38:06 PM
One of her challenges has you freeze the opponent in the corner and poison them while they can't do anything about it before continuing the combo. I think it was c.C, B.Bufu, c.D, B, Sweep, Garu stuff.

I'd still rather use a different move.
---
Perfectly mundane and flawlessly average.
#9haku10Posted 10/5/2012 2:15:13 PM
I never use 2D. If I had anything to do with it, Id make 2D some sort of low hard knockdown move, make 5C jump cancellable on block, and j.C an overhead. That way we have more of a mixup than 5D or no 5D.
#10Gactivefy(Topic Creator)Posted 10/5/2012 3:16:09 PM
ParanoidDrone posted...
One of her challenges has you freeze the opponent in the corner and poison them while they can't do anything about it before continuing the combo. I think it was c.C, B.Bufu, c.D, B, Sweep, Garu stuff.

I'd still rather use a different move.

i tried optimizing it, and i got i think 1000 more damage off the same conditions by not using it
---
you will always be loved