Regarding Evo 2013...

#11Darkflare_EXPosted 1/9/2013 3:47:50 PM
If only I knew where local tournaments in my area are.
---
You cannot select this due to restrictions on connection quality
#12Tae Seong KimPosted 1/9/2013 3:58:47 PM
badgerfan20945 posted...
How expensive would a trip to EVO be? Have to be close to a grand for someone like me.

Where do you live?

I usually split the cost with a buddy of mine. For 2 round trip tickets from where we live (Seattle area) + 4 nights at the Paris with EVO discount will cost us $1150 ($575 per person). Last year, we let a couple of our friends stay at our hotel for about $100 a person. They bring their own sleeping bags, food, etc.
---
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis - Oxford PSN - guambombboy
#13evilvergilPosted 1/9/2013 4:00:39 PM
Darkflare_EX posted...
If only I knew where local tournaments in my area are.

Same here, where i live there is no type of FG scene at all, the closest being Next level and thats still a good distance. I live in Newark btw so yea. I know the Rutgers college in New brunswick has a scene cause thats where Rokunaya is usually at, but other than that nothing.
#14badgerfan20945Posted 1/9/2013 4:05:26 PM
Tae Seong Kim posted...
badgerfan20945 posted...
How expensive would a trip to EVO be? Have to be close to a grand for someone like me.

Where do you live?

I usually split the cost with a buddy of mine. For 2 round trip tickets from where we live (Seattle area) + 4 nights at the Paris with EVO discount will cost us $1150 ($575 per person). Last year, we let a couple of our friends stay at our hotel for about $100 a person. They bring their own sleeping bags, food, etc.

Ohio, so I know it will be more expensive.
#15StormTRPosted 1/9/2013 4:14:13 PM
Scrubplayer posted...
raiten313 posted...
And if you're new to the scene you'll end up being forever alone

And that's why you have social skills.

Well, even in cases where I've seen some people that are a bit awkward, a lot of times I'll see people at tournaments or get togethers try to include them in things or make them feel welcome on account of having been there themselves once.
---
"Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere."
"Not even Jupiter can find a lost opportunity."
#16Tae Seong KimPosted 1/9/2013 4:25:51 PM
badgerfan20945 posted...
Tae Seong Kim posted...
badgerfan20945 posted...

Where do you live?

Ohio, so I know it will be more expensive.

Yeah, the air fair cost is the real killer. It is significantly cheaper if you live somewhat nearby (Arizona, So Cal, Utah, etc.), since you can carpool there for about $40 per person. $150 for lodging if you can organize a room with few people. You can get by with $50 for food if you go to the local Chipotle and McDonalds near the Imperial Palace. If you really wanna hobo it out, buy some bread, Nutella/peanut butter on the way for less than $10. <_< Then the tournament fee itself.
---
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis - Oxford PSN - guambombboy
#17StormTRPosted 1/9/2013 4:27:35 PM
Yeah...I don't even want to think of International Flight Costs since I'd be coming from Canada if I went.
---
"Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere."
"Not even Jupiter can find a lost opportunity."
#18MyopicCanadianPosted 1/9/2013 7:31:30 PM
From Toronto to Vegas its about $250 one way.. not horrible. I think Vegas subsidizes flight costs or something... after all most people go there to gamble.
#19Vincent25Posted 1/10/2013 5:32:52 PM
evilvergil, don't you go to team stickbug tournies? they should be close.
#20GGTlocPosted 1/10/2013 5:42:41 PM
I can honestly tell any of you who don't come to events that being part of now multiple different tournament communities over the years has been the most rewarding experience socially I could ask for besides my current romantic relationship.

In 2008 I joined the smash bros. brawl community as a nobody. I went to a local tournament, got wrecked, and met a lot of people. Like TSK said, we all went out to eat afterwards and everyone was really friendly and I got to know people. I wanted to improve so I kept playing and started forming friendships with these guys. Eventually I was going to smashfests and improving my game until I started finally placing high. Long distance tournaments came, tourneyplay up in TSK's state, norcal tournaments, vegas, etc. We all formed carpools and shared a lot of really nice road trips and vacations at these tournaments, met people from forums just like this one, and formed a lot of lifelong bonds which improved the power of my persona.

I got into Blazblue when CT came out, but mostly casually. A member of the smash community that I was friends with, Bond (Naoto), got me to play more, and eventually we both converted to that game, again as nobodys. I moved into this community a similar way. Identified the good players, got to know them, got playing with them. Once again they helped me improve my game to where I'm at now in P4A. I consider guys like Bond, Xie, Brkrdave, and even Bobby (dsmoove12) really close friends, we've had a lot of good experiences together, and we will continue to do so.

Take it from me, the tournament community isn't about whether or not you win, what you really get out of all of this is great experiences and lifelong friends. And if some of you come to Evo, I'll meet you all too. It's the reason to even be a part of this. Even though I don't play smash anymore, I have a lot of lifelong friends from that community that I talk to and am on great terms with. Let's take it easy and have some fun.
---
PSN: TlocCPU
Award winning money making sponsored e-sports e-sports who plays for money and not for fun. I hate fun. Fun sucks. Zak helped me realize that.