What is the combat like.

#1supermoc10Posted 1/29/2012 9:14:27 AM
Hey guys, I'm really interested in this game. Big fan of the art style(Akira rocks).
I'd like to know if the combat is Action-RPG like, FF XIII style or turn based.
#2JJCTroyPosted 1/29/2012 3:51:57 PM
FFXIII definitely wasn't Action RPG.

I'm going to assume they'd go with the standard MMO formula. Auto-attacks when engaged, and choose your skills or spells in between.

That I know of, nothing's been confirmed at this point.
#3armageddon12Posted 1/29/2012 9:25:45 PM(edited)
Well they showed off some gameplay footage a while ago:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkwfxf_dragon-quest-x-trailer-and-gameplay-footage_videogames

You select your command like in any other Dragon Quest. You do your command, probably in turn order. Then you wait until your turn, although it's hard to say if the game itself will wait for your turn, like if you just sit there not selecting anything, will others be able to continue on? The only really different thing, ignoring however the turns are formulated, is that you can move around freely in battle. Apparently this will let you dodge area of effect spells and things of that nature.
#4JohnwaltPosted 2/2/2012 10:37:33 AM
I looks like final fantasy xii to me,without the gambits.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and are 100% proud of it, put this in your signature.
#5Emerald_MeliosPosted 2/3/2012 5:24:31 PM
There's no manual control of hirelings this time?
#6mrg59Posted 2/19/2012 6:15:06 AM
supermoc10 posted...
I'd like to know if the combat is Action-RPG like, FF XIII style or turn based.

JJCTroy posted...
FFXIII definitely wasn't Action RPG.

Given his use of a comma there, and the word "or," he is in no way, shape or form calling FF XIII and action-RPG. He is giving you three choices, action-rpg is one, FF XIII is the second, and turn based is the third.

That being said, there hasn't been a mainstream majorly popular MMO that hasn't used the standard auto attacks with spells and abilities, obviously with differences, but all following that basic formula. And I'm referring to Everquest, WoW, and FFXI here from what I can think of off the top of my head for the majorly successful MMOs. FFXIV was the most massive failure by a gaming company of recent history, both financially and fan base wise.
#7badboyPosted 2/22/2012 10:07:08 AM
The closest thing would be FF12. Real time, menu based, you can move in the field.
#8EncephlonPosted 2/25/2012 1:04:15 AM
its just like FFXIII
---
So many games, so little time...
Unfortunately most portable/HD remakes suffer "Emperor's New Clothes" syndrome. Nostalgia ftw.
#9Oxo_64Posted 3/4/2012 10:36:33 AM
Emerald_Melios posted...
There's no manual control of hirelings this time?

They haven't shown any yet but that doesn't mean we won't be able to. The party members in the footage may have been set to "Show no mercy!" or whatever. The "Follow orders" option may be available in the final game.

Apparently the Wii version is in beta so we may not have too long to wait before we get some solid answers!
---
3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1717 - 5353
#10VeryDarkSoulPosted 3/7/2012 10:05:42 PM
Encephlon posted...
its just like FFXIII

uh no, it's turn based like DQIX
---
Ron Paul 2012