You still wanna claim DQ X is doing well in Japan after seeing this link?

#11ADHDguitarPosted 8/17/2012 11:48:40 PM
It's an mmo, it's less accessible, IMO.
#12TerotrousPosted 8/20/2012 10:40:16 AM
zombie_basher13 posted...
Now say whatever you want in defense of DQ X, like it's an MMO and sub fees mean more than unit sales, or it's getting good reception, it's a fun game, SE is profitting, MMOs are fun, cool whatever. All valid points.

So you acknowledge that this totally defeats your original argument? So then what's the point of this topic?

But my point is not to look at sub fees, which is only good for SE, but at the drastic reduction in initial buyers. A lot can't and won't get it b/c it's an MMO, so many miss out. Many fans are lost and disinterested. So what if SE makes a little extra overtime? It damages their reputation with fans and that means more.

The fact that not as many people bought FF11 didn't hurt FF any in the long run.

Those who don't like the game will just view it as a spinoff, of which the DQ and FF series have already had tons. Obviously DQ isn't going to be MMO-only from now on.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "SNES Biker Mice From Mars"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#13ignasia7Posted 8/20/2012 9:26:53 PM
Johnwalt posted...
Melkac posted...
they are waiting for the Wii U versions.

Just watch, when the Wii U comes out, the game sales will go way up.

Nah, probably not. It'll get a bump for sure, but huge bump? Probably not.

MMO's are like Brain Age, sales occur over time. They're never that high up front, but go out a year or so, and they've added up to a lot.

I'm not surprised it sold this much considering.

Pedro's point about FF11 was spot on. Same thing happened there, and some hold-outs might end up joining in at some point like what happened with FF11 (I know quite a few people who waited, not wanting to spend on what they thought should have been called FF Online, and 11 made an offline game, and there are quite a few people I've met on multiple servers who did the same, and by quite a few I mean several thousand, having been part of quite a few linkshell groups).

Though this isn't a PC release, I still expect to see numbers eventually hit over 1 million, but MMO's make money by people spending lots of time on the servers, paying the subscription fee. 400k subscribers for 1 year of play is roughly equivalent to 1.2 million normal purchases. 2 years and add another 800k worth of purchases for just that group.
---
Campaign for PT in US: http://oprainfall.blogspot.com/ ==> Two down, one to go.
PSO2 = Sexy Awesome Beast of a Game!
#14Emerald_MeliosPosted 9/8/2012 10:41:02 AM
VampiricDragon_ posted...
for an mmo its selling amazingly well

Likely due to brand name. Dreagon Quest carries even more weight than Final Fantasy.
#15NeonYoshi11Posted 9/17/2012 11:33:29 AM
It is doing well.

Just because it's not selling millions doesn't mean it's not doing well.

Do some research OP.
#16TiaelPosted 9/20/2012 9:18:55 AM
Emerald_Melios posted...
VampiricDragon_ posted...
for an mmo its selling amazingly well

Likely due to brand name. Dreagon Quest carries even more weight than Final Fantasy.

And cause it's fun and feels like DQ?
---
Waiting for: Ni no Kuni - Support this awesome gem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kUPIPBDA-I
#17Ness0123456789Posted 9/21/2012 1:13:17 PM
Melkac posted...
Japanese people ar not stupid, they are waiting for the Wii U versions.

Not to mention this is a MMO...those don't sell very well anywhere.

Yeah, perhaps ten years ago MMO's didn't sell well.

WoW constantly tops PC records every time an expansion is released. Guild Wars 2 just recently surpassed 2 million copies sold, and Star Wars had sold well over a million during it's launch cycle.

All of those are very respectable numbers, and I don't see why you seem to think that MMO's don't sell well anymore, especially when you consider one of the best selling PC games of all time is an MMO.
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#18ArcadianGenesisPosted 9/22/2012 1:24:12 PM
EvilBirdo posted...
I'll still get it, assuming it makes its way over here.

What do you mean "assuming"? It's coming here. Is there any doubt?
---
Ninety percent of life is just being there.
#19ArcadianGenesisPosted 9/22/2012 1:28:31 PM(edited)
Terotrous posted...
The fact that not as many people bought FF11 didn't hurt FF any in the long run.

Didn't it?

FFXII was highly divisive - I liked it personally, but you can't deny that it was a radical departure from everything that came before it. It even incorporated some MMO elements with the battle system.

FFXIII sucked. It's one of the worst RPGs I've ever played.

So...I'm seeing some damage done.
---
Ninety percent of life is just being there.
#20cvmckenziePosted 9/23/2012 9:38:11 AM
Ness0123456789 posted...
Melkac posted...
Japanese people ar not stupid, they are waiting for the Wii U versions.

Not to mention this is a MMO...those don't sell very well anywhere.

Yeah, perhaps ten years ago MMO's didn't sell well.

WoW constantly tops PC records every time an expansion is released. Guild Wars 2 just recently surpassed 2 million copies sold, and Star Wars had sold well over a million during it's launch cycle.

All of those are very respectable numbers, and I don't see why you seem to think that MMO's don't sell well anymore, especially when you consider one of the best selling PC games of all time is an MMO.

Could it be because he isnt comparing pc games with console games where the pay by the month model isnt nearly as widely embraced?
---
---