Tips for Tri player trying to practice new/changed weaposn? (I suck with Bows)

#1DeadeyedavePosted 2/24/2013 9:04:57 AM
I played a fair bit of MHFU, but (in my opinion) only really got good at MH during Tri, so I'm trying to use the demo to increase my weapon skills in the weapons I'm less familiar with (didn't played 3rd at all).

Bow:
I keep timing out/failing quest while fighting Plessi. I can only assume this is because I'm doing it wrong, and my fundamental bow knowledge is lacking.

It looks like 1st charge is a normal, 2nd charge is a pierce and the 3rd shot is a triple shot.

Because of that assumption I've been using the 2nd charge shot for the length of Plessi, and the triple in every other situation (especially for status application).

I don't understand the arc shot/arrow rain thing. Dunno if it's worth using or how to aim where the shots land. Can anyone explain it?

Coatings: Not too sure on these either. Seems like power is the way to go unless you want to apply statuses? Crange boosts close damage and melee damage, but I dunno if Crange is stronger than power at particular ranges, or if the bow melee attack is ever worth using...

Gunlance:
This seems super different than it was in FU and more complicated. It feels a lot more like a Lance/Switch-axe hybrid now, where you have to adjust your combos to replenish/consume your finite combo resource (the shots) and balance between shooting and reloading mid-combo.

Can people tell me the respective powers of:
Regular shot (consumes 1 shot)
Charged shot (consumes 1 shot)
Burst fire (consumes all shots)
Wyvern Fire (consumes all shots, has cooldown)

Hunting Horn:
This seems way easier to use than in FU, since you can just go nuts with hits, and the game will tell you when you've composed a song, then you just hit R to get the buff? Is there more complexity to this that I'm not seeing? I wrecked the poor rabbit with this.

Dual Swords:
Demon mode AND Archdemon mode? Am I right in saying that the DS is using similar mechanics to the TRI longsword now?

Long Sword:
The sword bar building and consumption doesn't seem to be the same. Can anyone explain this?

HBG:
Love turret mode!

S&S, Switch-Axe, Greatsword, Hammer, Lance, LBG:
Seem the same?
---
Vyers on MHTri (EU) (WXPRX2)
#2RyuniPosted 2/24/2013 9:38:53 AM(edited)
It's best to charge up the bow fully because every charge gets bonus damage also they're usually higher level as well (i.e. Charge 1: Normal Lv1, Charge 2: Pierce Lv2, Charge 3: Rapid Lv4 or something), besides Rapid is pretty good and it's worth charging it to max for maximum damage.

As for C.range coating, unless they changed it, the only purpose it has is to give your melee attack (where you swing your bow) a cut-status, so you can cut tails. It doesn't affect the arrows in any way.

Dual Blades: I belive Demon Mode is when you press R and you start consuming stamina continuously, while in Demon Mode, attacking the monsters will fill up your bar and when it's maxed you go into Archdemon Mode, which increases attack speed etc.
---
MH3U and more at www.youtube.com/naeryu
#3Mean_BeaniePosted 2/24/2013 9:40:21 AM
The Bow melee attack is only good for severing tails, as far as I know.

Even though the lvl 2 charge is a Pierce shot, you should still charge all the way to lvl 3 so you can take advantage of the extra damage lvl 3 gives you. Using the lvl 2 Pierce shot for applying status quickly is fine though.

The arc shot guide is pretty much the same thing MHFU had. The arrow rain is a delayed attack that shoots a volley of arrows down on to the highlighted circle area (land) or cone (underwater). It seems more effective on land than underwater, but maybe that's just me. In any case, use the arrow rain attack to punish Plesioth when he shoots his water beam or does his double tail swipe. For everything else, just aim for the neck/stomach with the lvl 3 Rapid shot.

I'm not too up on Gunlance, and there are too many new things about it MH3U that make referring back to MHFU unreliable. *shrugs*

For the Hunting Horn, if you press the R button again after playing a song, you will reuse those same notes to play the song again. This will get you an upgraded version of the song, with some exceptions. In the case of the White/White song, you'll get ESP after getting Movement Speed Up. If you play the healing song twice, you just get another XS Heal.

The Dual Swords Demon Meter (I'm not sure what it's actually called) is somewhat similar to the Spirit Gauge in that once you fill it, you get the Archdemon damage boost for all of your attacks. You'll have to refill it periodically with Demon Mode attacks to keep the damage buff. Oh, and it's supposed to change your Demon Mode moveset a little bit, at least according to the game manual.

The Longsword's Spirit Gauge consumption rate does seem to have been increased a bit. It's fine though, since losing Red just sets you back to Yellow, rather than reseting your Spirit Gauge entirely.

The Lance has been nerfed a tiny bit (you can only counter after a maxinum of two thrust attacks, and the evade timing is a bit less lenient), and the S&S has gotten a damage buff, but other than that, all the other weapons seem to be pretty much the same as they were in Tri.
---
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/8360/umud.png
#4Deadeyedave(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 7:50:49 PM
Ryuni posted...

As for C.range coating, unless they changed it, the only purpose it has is to give your melee attack (where you swing your bow) a cut-status, so you can cut tails. It doesn't affect the arrows in any way

Oh okay thanks, I think you saved me a lot of time from thinking I was using a bow in "shotgun mode"

Dual Blades: I belive Demon Mode is when you press R and you start consuming stamina continuously, while in Demon Mode, attacking the monsters will fill up your bar and when it's maxed you go into Archdemon Mode, which increases attack speed etc.

Archdemon mode kicks in automatically then? I don't think I've achieved it yet.

Mean_Beanie posted...
The Bow melee attack is only good for severing tails, as far as I know.

Even though the lvl 2 charge is a Pierce shot, you should still charge all the way to lvl 3 so you can take advantage of the extra damage lvl 3 gives you. Using the lvl 2 Pierce shot for applying status quickly is fine though.

Ah okay. If the Lv.3 is more powerful by virtue of being more arrows, would the pierce shot inflict more status than the lv.3 shot still?

For the Hunting Horn, if you press the R button again after playing a song, you will reuse those same notes to play the song again. This will get you an upgraded version of the song, with some exceptions. In the case of the White/White song, you'll get ESP after getting Movement Speed Up. If you play the healing song twice, you just get another XS Heal.

Oh that's cool. And that seems to make it even easier again?

The Lance has been nerfed a tiny bit (you can only counter after a maxinum of two thrust attacks, and the evade timing is a bit less lenient), and the S&S has gotten a damage buff, but other than that, all the other weapons seem to be pretty much the same as they were in Tri.

Good that S&S was buffed, it needed it. I'm hearing a lot of complaining about that lance nerfs. As a primary lance user, I'm not bothered about the counter nerf, but if the evade timing is actually less lenient, that might mess me up.

To be honest it's kinda hard to tell since I honed my evade lancing in TRI, and neither of the demo monsters were in it. I don't have TRI reflexes to draw on.
---
Vyers on MHTri (EU) (WXPRX2)