Elements and weapon choices

#1blabberdooPosted 3/14/2013 11:47:08 AM
I actually posted this on the MHFU board but, unless there have been some massive changes in this (and if so then it's probably more important that I ask here since I am getting MH3U) then the answer should be same.

At what point does the elemental advantage become less important than raw power? For example...

If I were going up against a Blagonga which are weak to fire and I have
Saber: attack 720, fire attribute 350
True Devil Slicer: Attack 816, thunder attribute 520

To me it seems like the obvious choice is the TDS despite the Saber being a strong element. Is this correct? And at what point does that even out?

Let's say those elemental attributes were even and it was just an attack discrepancy; would the elemental advantage make up for it?

Is attack more important than attributes or vice versa?
#2blunderbuttPosted 3/14/2013 11:54:11 AM(edited)
I was always under the impression that raw damage was always better then elemental. Elemental would just be an added bonus. And I would stack status effect for things like paralyze so I could stun while my friends would blow the monster up.

Edit: this was when I played unite.
#3agentpheonixPosted 3/14/2013 11:53:24 AM
It also depends on the weapon type. GS for example barely get any benefit from elemental damage since they hit so slow.

Faster weapons like DS, however, can dish out massive amounts of elemental damage and so are useful for that.
---
GT: Red Undead Now Playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening, Metal Gear Rising
http://m-102.minus.com/ipPaN0GZBXpqY.gif
#4WinsagePosted 3/14/2013 11:54:26 AM
We'd need the damage formula to figure it out. Typically though, raw is more important on burst weapons like GS and Hammer, whereas element is more important on fast weapons like SnS and DS.
---
NNid: Windsage
#5blabberdoo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2013 11:56:45 AM
Winsage posted...
We'd need the damage formula to figure it out. Typically though, raw is more important on burst weapons like GS and Hammer, whereas element is more important on fast weapons like SnS and DS.

What about LS?
#6WinsagePosted 3/14/2013 12:00:50 PM
blabberdoo posted...
Winsage posted...

What about LS?

Probably element, but since it's a lot more of a mix of raw and element, we'd definitely need to do some math. It gets really fun when you have two weapons that have the same element, but one has more raw and the other has more element.
---
NNid: Windsage
#7rpgfan4Posted 3/14/2013 12:19:12 PM
^i had that problem with a fire SnS back in MHFU, the corona and the flaming something, cant remember the name.

one had more raw but higher elemental dmg and mirrored for the other weapon, so i just made both, haha.
---
FC-4641 8356 1205
Can we have class outside?
#8agentpheonixPosted 3/14/2013 12:23:41 PM
rpgfan4 posted...
^i had that problem with a fire SnS back in MHFU, the corona and the flaming something, cant remember the name.

one had more raw but higher elemental dmg and mirrored for the other weapon, so i just made both, haha.

Corona and Blazing Falchion :P

I had that same problem and made both haha.
---
#9AlastreonPosted 3/14/2013 12:24:29 PM
rpgfan4 posted...

Assuming you mean the gravios weapon,it also had negative affinity.
---
LoL IGN Alastronar
3DS FC 1177-6984-9180
#10agentpheonixPosted 3/14/2013 12:40:41 PM
Alastreon posted...
rpgfan4 posted...

Assuming you mean the gravios weapon,it also had negative affinity.

I thought they were both Rathalos weapons
---