why does this game get mediocre reviews?

#1x_stevey_xPosted 5/7/2013 2:25:17 AM
been somewhat interested in picking it up because i hear how great it is by gamefaqs users.. but the somewhat mediocre reviews make me a little hesitant. i don't base everything off reviews and i'm just curious as to why it gets lower reviews than what people on here would lead me to believe. so be honest, what's so mediocre about this game? or are the reviews just way off and i should just pick it up?
#2rublorPosted 5/7/2013 2:31:29 AM
it doesnt hand hold you and reviewers suck at games
#3snake1989Posted 5/7/2013 2:31:54 AM
If you have a chance, I'd recommend watching the Giantbomb Quick Look of this game:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/2300-7163/

It's an hour long, but does a really good job of explaining why the series tends to get the reception in the west that it does.

Shorter version, though, is that it's a game that demands a heavy time investment, both in terms of grinding and in terms of time learning about the game's mechanics through the community (because the game is rarely explicit about a lot of them), and is entirely gameplay-driven with very little story. But the gameplay scratches an itch for skill-intensive, rewarding combat that few other games hit, and that's where the dedicated fanbase comes from.

But obviously, a very long, grind-heavy (though I never find the grinding boring) game is not great for syndicated reviewers, since most of their review period would be spent just learning the basics and not really hitting on the deeper game.
---
"A man chooses. A slave obeys."-Andrew Ryan
#4DeadeyedavePosted 5/7/2013 2:35:34 AM
Because reviews are only anecdotal expressions of opinions, and people have different opinions?

Honestly this is one of my favourite game series I've ever played, but it's hidden behind a boring opening, terrible tutorials and deep mechanics that are never properly explained.
---
Vyers on MHTri (EU) (WXPRX2)
#5Robo-KyPosted 5/7/2013 2:40:01 AM(edited)
The Wii U version gets scored higher for two points, both legitimate complaints.

1:Underwater in 3DS is less than stellar due to camera - Truth. However, simply using L Lock-on in mixture with holding B and pressing Up and down to dive fixes the camera issues.

2:Only local, no online until MH4. - Also truth. I can't defend this one, they threw together some terrible PSP Ad-hoc legacy tech garbage instead of going the full mile.
Deadeyedave posted...
Honestly this is one of my favourite game series I've ever played, but it's hidden behind a boring opening, terrible tutorials and deep mechanics that are never properly explained.

This is also a fantastic reason. I can't believe they stuck with Tri's awful, slow beginning for the first like 3 hours of the game instead of Portable 3rds beginning of "You've been playing for thirty minutes? FIGHT A BEAR. THEN A JAGGI. OK YOU ARE READY LET'S ROLL."
it doesnt hand hold you and reviewers suck at games

Maybe a spoonful of this as well.
#6Ippongi_RyutaPosted 5/7/2013 3:16:21 AM
Monster Hunter games aren't for everyone.
---
Currently playing: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Tales of Xillia 2
#7x_stevey_x(Topic Creator)Posted 5/7/2013 3:23:04 AM
good reasons thanks everyone! i do like a good challenge, time investing, and skill reliant games so i'll probably end up picking this game up during summer when my backlog is smaller. i much prefer the satisfaction of failing then overcoming something rather than being hand held and winning without effort.

Deadeyedave posted...
Because reviews are only anecdotal expressions of opinions, and people have different opinions?

true, but when the majority of reviewers all share the same opinion ..of mediocrity is when i start to scratch my head as to why as there must be some truth to their opinion if it's all the same. the reasons everyone listed in here all make sense though thanks again.
#8NathanisDrakePosted 5/7/2013 3:48:37 AM
Because they suck at it. And people tend to hate what they suck at.

Though an average of 6's to 8's are hardly mediocre in my mind, unless I'm missing something.
---
"My pin number is 0001, because I'm number 1!"
- Manfred Von Karma
#9heavyacademicPosted 5/7/2013 4:05:19 AM
x_stevey_x posted...
true, but when the majority of reviewers all share the same opinion ..of mediocrity is when i start to scratch my head as to why as there must be some truth to their opinion if it's all the same. the reasons everyone listed in here all make sense though thanks again.

I am not sure which reviews you are reading? All those posted here (with one notable exception) rate the game highly.
#10SpinKirbyPosted 5/7/2013 4:14:47 AM
Companies who don't pay to get their games reviewed have a maximum rating they can reach.