I use the GS, Hammer and DS. But my love child. Is the SnS.
I love the SnS, I can't say it enough and here's why.
1. You are the most agile of any of the weapon styles. Able to roll through any of your combos to really have 1 to 1 dodging speed.
2. You cut through hide at one color above your current sharpness. Green cuts through hide like blue would without the raw dmg increase.
3. You can use items without sheating by holding down the right trigger and hitting square. This allows for well done steaks, drinks, sharpening, and trap laying.
4. Shield. That is effected by all shield abilities. And since the dodge roll mixed with it allows for accurate dodging and shielding as well you have the best of both worlds in my honest opinion.
5. (X) + (A) = Jump Slash, Jump Slash + Dodge Roll. It uses half the stamina of dodge spamming, And since the animations interrupt eachother you can actually move faster then just dodging alone, allowing for tail catching while a monster is limping away or running/charging.
What can I say, You are the fastest and if you are good you have an IMMENSE elemental/status stat to throw around. WIth a good set, Slime can be specialized into, Status effects can be spec'd into for bombing/poisoning/Paralocking.
I love my HBG for different reasons: First, ammo variety. Different ammo - different approach - different hunt. Second, complexity. I love delving into the vast calculations "needed"/possible, even though I'm not really into math. Third, Weapon variety. Every gun has to be handled differently (a bit exaggerated, but nonetheless true, to some extent). Fourth, Freedom to attack whichever part I want, regardless of its position. Fifth, Power. HBGs are still one of the most powerful classes in the game, packing a more than decent punch paired with a constant barrage of hits. Sixth and last, nostalgia. This class has been my main ever since I seriously picked MH up (without fooling around/abusing lame cheats, that is). Many fond memories :)
Greatsword - The weapon I used the most back in MH1. Longsword - Longswords were actually GS back in MH1 too. But now they are different and I like the change. Lance - For underwater fights. Bow - Mutilplayer Kelbi only