How to Flash Bomb 101

#1YilxPosted 6/17/2013 5:10:18 AM
It has occured to me that quite a few people are having trouble pulling off a proper flash, especially in arena matches where derpsters themselves get flashed and die while a wyvern is charging because of a badly thrown flash bomb!

Here is the secret. Are you ready?

Monsters have eyesight too. Make sure they SEE the flash. On top of that make sure they aren't attacking or fireballing or what have you.
#2ferofaxPosted 6/17/2013 5:34:40 AM
^ But a properly thrown flash interrupts attacks. It's the pro throw.
---
Boomerang Evangelist
#3TortoiseBoyPosted 6/17/2013 5:59:00 AM
Should there be something in here about rage mode?
#4Mr_BasaraPosted 6/17/2013 7:20:21 AM
When throwing flash bombs, I usually wait til the monster is looking at me, then throw it behind me. That almost always ensures the monster gets flashed.
---
PSN - The_Daiyu
3DS - Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Animal Crossing: A New Leaf (1435-3945-2362)
#5sethyboy0Posted 6/17/2013 8:02:56 AM
Some other tips:

Most monsters stay flashed for longer when exhausted and less long when enraged.

Flash bombs have a range to them and if you throw them too far from the monster they won't get flashed (even if it's in eyesight).

Flying monsters (like the raths) will get knocked out of the sky if you flash them mid flight.
#6MuttonBasherPosted 6/17/2013 10:36:31 AM
sethyboy0 posted...
Most monsters stay flashed for longer when exhausted and less long when enraged.

Flash bombs have a range to them and if you throw them too far from the monster they won't get flashed (even if it's in eyesight).

Flying monsters (like the raths) will get knocked out of the sky if you flash them mid flight.

QFT.

Also:
Flash Agnaktor at the start of his crazy laser attack to stun him. Flash flying monsters (ian, los, blos, bari, etc.) as they jump up out of a pit-trap or sonic-pit.

Some monsters rage if you flash them when they aren't fatigued (jho, barioth; duram will do his wind-up spin attack), and some monsters can't be flashed at all (c.peco, gob, etc.).

Just like traps and status attacks, flash bombs become less effective the more you use them on the same monster, so there's no point in continuing to flash them unless it's to knock them out of the sky.
#7SmoothMoveExlaxPosted 6/17/2013 6:28:07 PM
ferofax posted...

Pros don't need flash bombs.
---
"following your dreams is never stupid unless you dream about water and pee the bed last thursday" Jason - Mystery Team
#8sycho2005Posted 6/17/2013 8:26:06 PM
flash bombs actually got my party killed a few times, when the monster is flashed everyone let their guard down and just spawn attacks. but the monster still can do most of their regular moves, just that they do it without knowing where u are.
#9ferofaxPosted 6/18/2013 12:16:18 AM
SmoothMoveExlax posted...
ferofax posted...

Pros don't need flash bombs.

Pro(per) throw.
---
Boomerang Evangelist
#10Mr_BasaraPosted 6/18/2013 3:05:51 AM
sycho2005 posted...
flash bombs actually got my party killed a few times, when the monster is flashed everyone let their guard down and just spawn attacks. but the monster still can do most of their regular moves, just that they do it without knowing where u are.

Sounds like everyone letting their guard down is what got them killed, not the flash bomb...

That being said, flash bombs don't always make monsters sit still. One time I flash bombed Rathalos. When he got up, he did jump back fireball 3 times in a row. Missed flashbombs don't feel like as big a waste as that one did....
---
PSN - The_Daiyu
3DS - Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Animal Crossing: A New Leaf (1435-3945-2362)