When I'm 'hunting' monsters...

#1GreatSoulAbyssPosted 6/17/2013 6:15:59 AM
Is it better to kill them or capture them? When I first started I was killing everything, then struggled to capture stuff...now I only capture!

Is there any difference or is it personal choice how you deal with enemies?
---
XBL GT - The Life Aura
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate + Pokemon Rumble Blast
#2WindivenPosted 6/17/2013 6:24:43 AM
Same here, struggled with capture at the start, now I can't stand fighting the extra last bit when the monster starts limping.
#3ultronPosted 6/17/2013 6:40:29 AM
It depends on what I want from it has higher rates via capture or not.

Speed runs I cap, but unless I have capture guru on, they die before I can see them limp, or soon after anyways so I'm killing more than I cap now.

Used to cap everything, now I mainly just kill and carve, unless I'm low on space.
---
3DS FC - 2148-8242-1614
#4TheMagician42Posted 6/17/2013 6:53:24 AM
It depends on the monster and what you are after.

For the vast majority of monsters it is more beneficial to kill them rather than capture. For instance, gigginox talons could only be carved from gigginox in MHT. I haven't checked the drop rates close enough for 3U, but they are probably similar.

Also, if you are after a rare item like a Deviljho Gem that can be body carved then it is better to kill.
---
PSN: Jaega_51
Dragon's Dogma Pawn: Skylar
#5GreatSoulAbyss(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2013 7:39:51 AM
TheMagician42 posted...

For the vast majority of monsters it is more beneficial to kill them rather than capture. For instance, gigginox talons could only be carved from gigginox in MHT. I haven't checked the drop rates close enough for 3U, but they are probably similar.

Also, if you are after a rare item like a Deviljho Gem that can be body carved then it is better to kill.

Well I get very little time to play during the week so haven't even seen a Deviljho! I am doing the 5* village quests...think last monster left for me to hunt is the Barioth.

My normal mission routine is do the same mission at least twice but always capture as I thought it would give me better monster pieces. If I want an armour set or new weapon I will obviously repeat until I have everything I need.

Is there any monsters pieces that will only appear if captured rather than killed, because if not, I may go back to being slightly more evil and killing all monsters.

Also how does kill vs capture affect free hunting when I'm trying to gather resource points?
---
XBL GT - The Life Aura
#6sethyboy0Posted 6/17/2013 7:59:31 AM
GreatSoulAbyss posted...
TheMagician42 posted...

Well I get very little time to play during the week so haven't even seen a Deviljho! I am doing the 5* village quests...think last monster left for me to hunt is the Barioth.

My normal mission routine is do the same mission at least twice but always capture as I thought it would give me better monster pieces. If I want an armour set or new weapon I will obviously repeat until I have everything I need.

Is there any monsters pieces that will only appear if captured rather than killed, because if not, I may go back to being slightly more evil and killing all monsters.

Also how does kill vs capture affect free hunting when I'm trying to gather resource points?

You get I think 20 or 25% more resource points for capping than killing. Some rare commodities also have a 5% higher chance to drop if you cap instead of kill.

As for normal monster drops, monsters will usually have parts you can only get from killing and parts you can only get from capping (not counting breaks/reward box). Some parts are also on both but much higher for one of them. Usually the parts that have a higher chance or only chance when capping are the more rare and valuable parts, whereas the parts that come from carving are more common stuff. If you just need some Ludroth Claws to finish a sword or something then you can kill it for the higher carve chance but if you want something like a Rath Ruby then you'd better bring the traps.
#7GreatSoulAbyss(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2013 9:33:10 AM
So really it's better to kill and cap :D Ah well that'll save me building so many traps all the time. Thanks for help everyone!
---
XBL GT - The Life Aura