Help deciding to buy this game (40% off)

#1Unown_201Posted 2/2/2014 12:02:41 PM(edited)
I got an email from Nintendo saying that I can buy a digital version of this game for 23.99 (40% off), I know nothing about this game but know it is very popular in Japan.

I downloaded the demo from the eshop and didn't really see much point to the game other than just hunting a monster. Is there more to the full game than this or am I missing something?

Anyway, for 23.99 I am thinking I may as well give the game a chance, but just want some thought of how much like the demo it is and any explanation etc about what else you do.

Also, what size download is it?

Thanks
---
"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
#2UrsavusPosted 2/2/2014 12:04:38 PM
The download is 14,275 blocks.
---
Nope.
#3SizableMattressPosted 2/2/2014 12:19:17 PM
Very little is like the demo. There's much more battle prep behind the scenes. Only get the game if you feel like you can devote the first 24 hrs of gameplay to pretty much boring tutorial missions. Beyond that, it gets awesome.
I'd also only recommend it to a patient gamer not looking for quick, accessible thrills, but an experience you have to put time in to enjoy it. This game takes a LOT of time.
---
3ds friend code: 0645-7095-3198
3ds profile name: Mattress. Pokemon ign: bilbo
#4Unown_201(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2014 1:57:12 PM(edited)
SizableMattress posted...
Very little is like the demo. There's much more battle prep behind the scenes. Only get the game if you feel like you can devote the first 24 hrs of gameplay to pretty much boring tutorial missions. Beyond that, it gets awesome.
I'd also only recommend it to a patient gamer not looking for quick, accessible thrills, but an experience you have to put time in to enjoy it. This game takes a LOT of time.

Is it anything like an average JRPG? If so that sounds good, and I like long games with plenty to do and don't mind grinding too much.

Think I will buy it, probably won't get a chance to try the series any cheaper that that again.
---
"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
#5SizableMattressPosted 2/2/2014 2:01:15 PM
Yeah I'd get it then if you want a longer game. It's really fun once it picks up. No online multiplayer tho:(
---
#6ZerekrielPosted 2/2/2014 2:29:03 PM(edited)
Unown_201 posted...

Is it anything like an average JRPG? If so that sounds good, and I like long games with plenty to do and don't mind grinding too much.

Think I will buy it, probably won't get a chance to try the series any cheaper that that again.

This isn't anything like a JRPG at all. You don't level up, there's no magic, and every quest involving a large monster is basically a boss fight.

Your character progression is entirely based on equipment, and the only restrictions on equipment are whether you're using a melee weapon or a ranged weapon and if you have the materials and money to make them.

My best advice for you is to go watch a few of the many Let's Play videos on YouTube and just watch the first few videos so you can be sure this is the kind of game you really want to play. I'm not trying to deter you from buying the game, I'm just trying to keep you from going in to this without knowing exactly the kind of game this is.
---
Shine on, embrace and deny me. Turn on, Wheel of Time.
Shine on, you've burnt me, now guide me. Weave on, Wheel of Time.
#7SizableMattressPosted 2/2/2014 3:18:00 PM
Actually yeah ^ this guy is right. It's not a jrpg
---
#8Unown_201(Topic Creator)Posted 2/2/2014 4:21:03 PM
Zerekriel posted...
Unown_201 posted...

This isn't anything like a JRPG at all. You don't level up, there's no magic, and every quest involving a large monster is basically a boss fight.

Your character progression is entirely based on equipment, and the only restrictions on equipment are whether you're using a melee weapon or a ranged weapon and if you have the materials and money to make them.

My best advice for you is to go watch a few of the many Let's Play videos on YouTube and just watch the first few videos so you can be sure this is the kind of game you really want to play. I'm not trying to deter you from buying the game, I'm just trying to keep you from going in to this without knowing exactly the kind of game this is.

Thanks, I watched a couple videos, seems that there is a lot more to the game like towns etc. I also read quite a bit and things like crafting new equipment seems interesting.

Just deleted some stuff from my SD card to make space, so think I may as well give it a go. I have kind of wanted to try the series for a while, so this seems like a good chance.

Will buy it tomorrow (bit late here now), so will check back here tomorrow first if anyone else posts anything.
---
#9GunbladeladPosted 2/2/2014 5:43:59 PM
All I shall say is relax and try to enjoy it.

I believe the Double blades and the Sword & shield are the most "newbie friendly" weapons in the game, but experiment with everything and see what weapons suit you best. (For me it's Hammer & Switch-Axe, but you may find something else suits you better)
---
Where logic won't work - I will
PAL Gamers unite - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/277-pal-gaming
#10Unown_201(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2014 11:24:42 AM
Gunbladelad posted...
All I shall say is relax and try to enjoy it.

I believe the Double blades and the Sword & shield are the most "newbie friendly" weapons in the game, but experiment with everything and see what weapons suit you best. (For me it's Hammer & Switch-Axe, but you may find something else suits you better)

Thanks, I just started playing.

Only thing I found so far is that the text is a little blurred/difficult to read. Is this just me?
---