Help deciding to buy this game (40% off)

#21tuffydogPosted 2/4/2014 1:26:46 PM
Unown_201 posted...
Also, is there any point in using normal potions/mega potions, or should I just carry Ancient Potions. I discovered the recipe for these very early, and the ingredients arn't too difficult to get with the farm, so is it best to just carry these, or use the others instead?

Since you can only carry 1 Ancient Potion at a time, it's a good idea to carry Mega Potions also which you can hold up to 10 at a time. Since Ancient Potions also max out your health and stamina bars, they're good in case the monster sends you to the cart and you want to get back into action at full strength.
#22CaptainRandom1Posted 2/4/2014 1:49:23 PM
Eventually you will want to stop using cooked meat and start using energy drinks, because you can easily farm all the ingredients and you don't have to spend 10 seconds making each one.
---
3DS FC 4253-3597-1691
http://i.imgur.com/R9wiC6E.jpg
#23GunbladeladPosted 2/5/2014 11:28:33 AM
I think that you're actually referring to Dash juice there CaptainRandom1 - not Energy Drinks (which are used when your character's been tranquilized by an enemy but hasn't (yet) fallen asleep.)
---
Where logic won't work - I will
PAL Gamers unite - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/277-pal-gaming
#24Lancehead_cAPosted 2/5/2014 11:35:21 AM(edited)
Nah, he's talking about energy drinks. They recover a small amount of stamina, similar to a ration I think. Their main advantage is that you can farm/buy their ingredients so you don't have to waste time cooking steaks.
---
There is a well-known theory that if you are bitten by zombies, bite back and you can recover.
#25SizableMattressPosted 2/5/2014 12:24:12 PM
Lancehead_cA posted...
Nah, he's talking about energy drinks. They recover a small amount of stamina, similar to a ration I think. Their main advantage is that you can farm/buy their ingredients so you don't have to waste time cooking steaks.

I actually lol'd at your sig
---
3ds friend code: 0645-7095-3198
3ds profile name: Mattress. Pokemon ign: bilbo
#26Unown_201(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2014 10:39:50 AM
Thanks everyone.

I am 12 hours in now, and completed all the 1 and 2 star missions except for the first boss/real monster (Great Jaggi). Seems to be more difficult than anything I have fought up to now.

What is the best method of fighting the boss monsters? Should I use bombs and traps etc, or just keep attacking?

When it flees, does that help it at all? Does it recover health over time, or does it stay as it was when it left?

Also, can you flee yourself if you need to without any consequences like the monster recovering? I mean for things like healing/sharpening weapons or even gathering some resources to make potions etc?

Also, how can you know what items to sell? I haven't sold anything yet because I don't know if I will need it later. Is there any way to know or should I just keep everything unless I have a lot?
---
"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
#27Dark_JinougaPosted 2/7/2014 11:33:51 AM
Unown_201 posted...
Thanks everyone.

I am 12 hours in now, and completed all the 1 and 2 star missions except for the first boss/real monster (Great Jaggi). Seems to be more difficult than anything I have fought up to now.

What is the best method of fighting the boss monsters? Should I use bombs and traps etc, or just keep attacking?

When it flees, does that help it at all? Does it recover health over time, or does it stay as it was when it left?

Also, can you flee yourself if you need to without any consequences like the monster recovering? I mean for things like healing/sharpening weapons or even gathering some resources to make potions etc?

Also, how can you know what items to sell? I haven't sold anything yet because I don't know if I will need it later. Is there any way to know or should I just keep everything unless I have a lot?

just keep at it, and try for the head as it takes a bit more damage there

if it sleeps it recovers slowly a minimal amount of health, But in over 2000h of MH i have never had to worry about a sleeping mosnter^^ if you flee its no problem, though if you didnt paintball it it might take a bit to find it again

you can sell stuff, but be aware that if you need it again sometime you will haver to get it again, so my tip would be to not sell monster stuff unless you have a LOT of it, like selling 10 of your 25 G. Jaggi skins or something like that
---
ssslice
#28Unown_201(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2014 12:01:44 PM
Dark_Jinouga posted...
Unown_201 posted...
Thanks everyone.

just keep at it, and try for the head as it takes a bit more damage there

if it sleeps it recovers slowly a minimal amount of health, But in over 2000h of MH i have never had to worry about a sleeping mosnter^^ if you flee its no problem, though if you didnt paintball it it might take a bit to find it again

you can sell stuff, but be aware that if you need it again sometime you will haver to get it again, so my tip would be to not sell monster stuff unless you have a LOT of it, like selling 10 of your 25 G. Jaggi skins or something like that

Thanks, I beat it fine. I was using double swords on my first attempt (and didn't go well prepared) but I have started using long sword now and after a little learning have worked them out well now. Can usualy get a combo of 2-3 attacks often, and defeated Great Jaggi quite easily (only had to use one mega potion).

Also completed the capture Arzuros mission, capture a Great Jaggi, and defeated two great Jaggi at the same time free hunting. Think I am getting used to how bosses work now!

Almost have a complete set of Jaggi armor also.
---
"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
#29zurcnPosted 2/7/2014 1:26:10 PM
just in case:

one of the G.jaggi armor items requires you to "break" the frill on his head

you won't get all types of items a monster can drop just by killing it
monster drops have a couple of variables you will learn over time

firstly: you can either kill or capture a monster

if you kill you can then carve it to get 3 items, if you capture you will receive extra items in the reward screen

second: most monsters will drop shiny items in some situations, this will usually be a useless item but it has a small chance to be a monster specific drop

third: lots of monsters have severable tails (G.Jaggi is not one). if you cut their tails you can get 1 more carve from it

forth: breakable parts / Wounds, most monsters will have 1 or more breakable parts (G.Jaggi - frill) if you break it you will get additional items in the reward screen

---
Carves: kill, tail sever, shiny drops
Reward screen: red area - quest reward
blue area: capture rewards. break reward

drops are different for each source

http://kiranico.com/monster/great-jaggi
---
Don't worry about it. I laugh automatically whenever I hold sharp objects. - Machi - Nagasarete Airantou
http://youtu.be/iTJtTiQYlNU
#30Unown_201(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2014 3:13:48 PM
zurcn posted...
just in case:

one of the G.jaggi armor items requires you to "break" the frill on his head

you won't get all types of items a monster can drop just by killing it
monster drops have a couple of variables you will learn over time

firstly: you can either kill or capture a monster

if you kill you can then carve it to get 3 items, if you capture you will receive extra items in the reward screen

second: most monsters will drop shiny items in some situations, this will usually be a useless item but it has a small chance to be a monster specific drop

third: lots of monsters have severable tails (G.Jaggi is not one). if you cut their tails you can get 1 more carve from it

forth: breakable parts / Wounds, most monsters will have 1 or more breakable parts (G.Jaggi - frill) if you break it you will get additional items in the reward screen

---
Carves: kill, tail sever, shiny drops
Reward screen: red area - quest reward
blue area: capture rewards. break reward

drops are different for each source

http://kiranico.com/monster/great-jaggi

Thanks, I think I got some already. Probably more by luck than anything. Will check for each monster so I know what to break in future.
---