Demo is much like the Retail Game?

#1Tall GuyPosted 2/4/2014 5:38:06 AM
Hi,

I consider myself a veteran gamer with a lot of Action games played in the resume. From fast technical games like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden to slower paces more resource based Action games.

I heard a lot about Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, and since it's now on discount on the eShop, I picked the Demo.
My experience was pretty bad (I played it with few "Classes"). First of all, as I mentioned, I played slow action games before, but playing this felt like playing a game on Slow-Motion. The time it takes your to get into melee range, some of the Swords... not to mentioned the underwater fight. It felt like all I can do is mashing the attack button and hoping it will hit something.

I'm guessing I'm missing something here, and people praised this game. Is it just a bad demo? Is it even possible to play it decently with the current controllers (without the Circle Pad Pro?)

Thanks.
---
"One must keep his friends close Raziel, and his enemies, even closer.." -- Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver
#2random_man9119Posted 2/4/2014 6:04:00 AM
I think the demo is bad... There's a lot of stuff in Monster Hunter to get used to, and the beginning of the game is good at explaining all the stuff...

And this games more about timing your shots and learning the monster's attacks and habits and using that knowledge to plan the best way to attack... You're more punished for just running and button mashing

This is a game that rewards you for putting the time in

As for control scheme, CPP does make it a bit easier but it's still very much playable without it... I usually switch between using it and not since I don't want to carry around that hunk of plastic everywhere
---
PSN: Des-Nos|3DS FC: 1375 7442 7348
NNID: MrOddities|ACNL: Odd from Utopia
#3lambchipsPosted 2/4/2014 6:18:23 AM
If this game plays like slow motion to you, then you simply havent played the game enough or dont understand the mechanics of the game

The controls and movement are all logical and they go by a frame mechanic
(this is why when you run forward and when you quickly try to run back, the game gives a 1.5 frame delay making the hunter move forward half a step before turning around... this mechanic makes sense as you play more, as it punishes players that dont know which way they are running)

The only time you can do a quick turn is after an action (reloading, attacking etc, I dont think using items count as an action and will let you roll in the reverse direction)
^ quick turn done by performing a dodge roll, the reason to do this is so you dont waste 1.5 frames the hunter would usually take when trying to quick turn normally
---
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green
#4StevenDrkPrincePosted 2/4/2014 6:31:20 AM(edited)
I don't think the demo does the game justice, nor do I think anyone would recommend it.

The game is hard to get into at first, this being my first in the series, but after the tutorials and such the game is amazing. It's not "slow-motion" unless you use a weapon from one of the heavier weapon classes, but since you can run it still shouldn't be a problem.

The underwater fights aren't very easy and are hard to get the hang of, but after a lot of practice it should be somewhat easier. I also recommend using the 3D in underwater fights to get a better sense of depth, it makes it easier to know when to attack and dodge.

The bigger monsters are really fun to fight, even more so with friends using the local multiplayer. This game requires lots of skill, and strategy but I and many others don't use the Circle Pad Pro, because once you get the hang of it you don't need it. You can also customize the bottom screen to have a digital D-pad for your right thumb if it's that much of an issue.

It's not just button mashing because each monster has different weak points, habits, attacks, movements, and obviously, they attack you back, forcing you to either block, dodge, or run. There's also the possibility of other monsters interfering with your fight and that can make the game somewhat difficult if you're playing alone but if you have good enough armor, weapons, a lot of Whetstones, and enough things to heal yourself and your stamina, you should be fine.

This game is, put as simply as possible, about killing monsters, collecting resources to make armor and weapons, and doing quests either alone or with up to three friends locally.

I've completely put down Pokemon X , The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and Animal Crossing:New Leaf for this game. It's phenomenal. But if you don't like it after the tutorial and after fighting more of the stronger monsters, the game probably isn't for you.
---
3DS FC: 4296-3067-2375 - $teven from Kalos
I'm The Dark Prince. "The past is far behind us, the future doesn't exist."
#5Tall Guy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2014 2:04:45 AM
Well, any of the things you mentioned above were showing in the demo :)

The giant Rabbit had 2-3 attacks, and all I found myself doing is hitting him -> he gains distance -> I ran to him -> hitting him again -> he runs again.
Over and Over, with some Potion drinking here and there. I guess the demo does not make the game justice :)

Thanks guys, I'll check some Let's Play to see how the real game is :)
---
"One must keep his friends close Raziel, and his enemies, even closer.." -- Legacy Of Kain: Soul Reaver
#6random_man9119Posted 2/5/2014 7:45:29 AM
Tall Guy posted...
Well, any of the things you mentioned above were showing in the demo :)

The giant Rabbit had 2-3 attacks, and all I found myself doing is hitting him -> he gains distance -> I ran to him -> hitting him again -> he runs again.
Over and Over, with some Potion drinking here and there. I guess the demo does not make the game justice :)

Thanks guys, I'll check some Let's Play to see how the real game is :)

Yea... Lagombi (Big rabbit thing) is (I feel) probably not the best demo monster... Not to say you won't be chasing monsters often... But Lagombi's sliding around is definitely annoying if you're not use to it
---
PSN: Des-Nos|3DS FC: 1375 7442 7348
NNID: MrOddities|ACNL: Odd from Utopia
#7Tall Guy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2014 3:15:16 PM
Yes, that's what I felt. Running around it. Missing it in 2 seconds just to find out his ported into another zone... :S
---