Trying to farm g rank lagi...

#1RedYoshi27Posted 3/10/2014 2:28:35 PM
How on earth do you do it? I've tried gunning it with my super trench snarfer with a shield in sand barioth gear gemmed for normal up and using the blademaster helm for defense. What kills me or at least whittles me down is his constant spam of corkscrews and double hipchecks. Stamina's not an issue its the large DoT he gets on me from the chip damage. I tried gunlancing as well in the standard helios set but to no avail for slightly similar reasons. How did you all farm this thing at hr7?
---
NNID: BowMasterPit
Married to Flannery; Official Scyther of the Pokemon X board
#2Munchie906Posted 3/10/2014 3:22:09 PM
Try dodging instead of blocking, you'll take quite a bit less chip damage that way... you can dodge straight up or down to get away from the hipcheck, the corkscrew has enough wind to sheathe and swim away. The only reason I can see to tank hits in this game is when using guard skills
#3FenixRoninPosted 3/10/2014 4:50:16 PM
Yea I GL lagi all the time and chip damage is never a problem for me. Guarding his hipchecks is fine because those can be tricky to dodge, especially if you are farming him in the FF for some very odd reason. I try to farm him in the Deserted Island whenever possible for more manuvering space and better visability. As for the corkscrews though, he takes so much time swiming away from you and then coiling up that you should have no problem putting your weapon away and simply swiming out of the way of the attack, that is exactly what I do and I never get hit by it unless I forget where I am and swim into a wall.

He doesn't really spam corkscrews and hipchecks that much unless you are in a position where that is the best attack for him to use on you so you might want to try changing your positioning now and then. You don't always have to be up in his face at all times, even with the GL or other melee weapons. Just be patient and dodge his minor attacks rather than block them and wait for the right openings to get your attacks in. Lagi is one of the monsters where a little bit of patience goes a long way, and constantly attacking him and being super aggressive can get you killed real quick like.
---
3DS Friend Code: 3368-2208-1515
Playing MH3U, Rune Factory 4 and Etrian Odyssey Untold: TMG
#4RedYoshi27(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2014 7:03:16 PM
Most of my issues were occuring when I was hbging it. It would swim right next to me then start up a corkscrew/charge. I was getting hit by those due to the long sheathe time of the hbg plus that evade down wasn't helping me at all. My GLing issues were likely more of frustration and lagi being overly aggressive. I finally did manage to kill it though it took like 45 minutes. Luckily the desire sensor showed me some mercy and gave me three deathly shockers which is what I came for. Guess I should have checked his hitzone data first. Its not weak to shot damage anywhere really.
---
#5FenixRoninPosted 3/10/2014 7:27:34 PM
The GL shells don't do shot damage actually, they do a small amount of fire damage and a small amount of explosive damage which ignores armor. It may have been more of a problem with the GL you were using as the different types have different bonuses to shots. And while I don't claim to be a pro GL'er I would say that really the most effective way to use the GL is to just use it like a normal lance and use the shots when you have the opportunity for a lengthy combo's and stuff. Unless you are using a Wide type gunlance and charged shots I'm fairly confident the actual melee hits will do more damage than the shots anyway, I mostly just use them to extend my combo and increase my dps rather than evading to cancel the end attack animation. Of course with Lagi you don't get a lot of chances for lengthy combo's so you have to be careful and pick and choose your spots to use the shells. I'll give you some of my tips when using GL, it's very important to note the type of GL you have since each type gives different bonuses.

With a Wide type gunlance you want to work in Charged shots whenever you can because they get a boost from the Wide type.

With a Long type gunlance you want to use your melee hits and shots to extend combo's and get a flinch or a break so they he will flail around and you can get off your Wyvern Fire since that gets a boost from the Long type.

With a Normal type you probably want to use the Shotgun slam as much as you can since that gets a boost from all the shots you get with a Normal type GL and especially against Lagi since you can do the Shotgun slam at the end of your normal X combo and you will probably only get time to do a single combo until you need to block or dodge with him unless you get a flinch or a break.

Of course shot Level will be a major factor in how much damage your shots do as well so pay attention to that. I'm not sure exactly what the shelling damage would be equivalent to, I like to compare them to crag shots and I would probably say that normal shelling in a combo is probably equal to crag level 1 at shot level 4 or higher, the normal charged shots are probably close to crag level 2 at shot level 4 or higher and the charged shot with the Wide type GL is probably close to crag level 3 and maybe even higher with shot level 4 or higher. I have no real data to support that so if it's wrong and a GL pro happens to read this then please do correct me, these are just my impressions after using the GL for a few hundred quests now in G-Rank.
---
#6RedYoshi27(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2014 7:48:20 PM
I was using the ortlinde I've done two more runs with the lance and GL and its gotten better. It usually takes me a few runs to get used to the monster. I also forgot my power/armor charms and talons which didn't help me one bit. Luckily I just got my last two shockers so thank goodness that's over for now.
---
#7FenixRoninPosted 3/10/2014 8:09:02 PM
I see, that is a pretty decent GL so yea I guess it was just you. I can understand what you mean though I've fought Lagi so many times that it's pretty much just autopilot for me, he just gets a bit stronger and a bit faster in G-Rank and that is all, he isn't any different than he was in low or high rank. Forgetting your talons and charms could definitely slow you down though, I've done that once or twice lol.
---