good solo weapons/build help please

#1SinamoiPosted 3/28/2014 3:26:15 PM
Hello all, I would like to get a list of weapons/sets that are optimal for solo. They don't have to be "all-around" good, I'd like to hear some situational builds aswell for certain difficult monsters. Can be any weapon, I like to change things up anyway.

I like playing solo more, as fights are alot more difficult, which is what I seek from this game. Kinda boring going into a room, and decimating the monster under 5mins with multiple people (pending monster, of course). That being said, I feel like I'm not very well equipped for solo at the moment.

Some things I have at the moment: (Won't mention talismans, unless requested)

Carmilla Bloodsucker (Poison Longsword)

Rath Soul Helm
Gigginox Mail S
Gigginox Vambraces X
Gigginox Faulds S
Gigginox Greaves S

Stats given:
~874 Attack (No food)
~290 Poison (No food)
~608 Defense (No food)

Status Attack+2
Razor Sharp
Earplugs (Or HG Earplugs, at the cost of AuS-situational)
Attack up Small

Pyro Demolisher (Slime Longsword)*

Brachydios Helm X
Brachydios Mail X
Brachydios Braces X
Brachydios Faulds
Brachydios Greaves X

Stats given:
~973 Attack (No food)
~330 Slime (No food)
~660 Defense (No food)

Attack up Large
Challenger +2
Adrenaline +1
Bombardier

*Also have the Brachydios Switch Axe, which, more or less, uses the exact above set.

Truest Sunderer (Thunder Longsword)

Damascus Helm X
Damascus Mail X
Damascus Vambraces X
Damascus Coil X
Damascus Greaves X

Stats given:
~907 Attack (No food)
~260 Thunder (No food)
~Defense 655 (No food)

Thunder Attack+2
Speed Sharpening
Sharpness +1
Attack Up Small

The Adjudition (Fire Longsword)
Silver Solhelm
Silver Solmail
Silver Solbraces
Silver Solcoil
Silver Solgreaves

Stats given:
~792 Attack (No food)
~Fire 600 (No food)
~Defense 660 (No food)

Fire Attack +2
Attack Up Medium
Razor Sharp
Weakness Exploit

Great Kelbi Deershot (a.k.a Le Kelbi Bow)
Lagiacrus Cap X
Lagiacrus Vest X
Lagiacrus Guards X
Lagiacrus Coat X
Lagiacrus Leggings X

Stats given:
~294 Attack (No food)
~420 Slime (No food)
~395 Defense (No food)

Bombardier
Awaken
Normal/Rapid Up
Weakness Exploit
Focus

Mizar's Asterism (Lucent Nargacuga Switch Axe)
Miralis Diadem
Miralis Breastplate
Miralis Grieves
Miralis Barbs
Miralis Drogues

Stats given:
~1311 Attack (No food)
~670 Defense (No food)

Attack Up Large
Critical Eye +2
Rock Steady
Latent Power+1

Ok, that's about everything I have. I welcome constructive criticism, and genuinely appreciate any help given with other builds, or adjustments to my own.
#2G3neric_UserPosted 3/28/2014 5:25:41 PM
Y'know, that's Kind of a lot to ask. Especially since there Where SO many topics for different weapons explaining/showing EXACTLY what you're asking for.
---
A Oatrige mid am Bugl und an sechzehna Blech bitte!
So, und wer das versteht darf sich gerne auf selbiges mit mir treffen. Vor allem auf Letzteres.
#3Sinamoi(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 5:41:42 PM
thanks for contributing
#4KariyaLollipopPosted 3/28/2014 7:54:08 PM(edited)
Obviously what you're asking for is pretty broad given that what is optimal varies from hunt to hunt. But I'll try to give some general advice

Most of your sets look pretty solid though, unless you actually know how to bow and use it right, I recommend not using Kelbi because even in solo where you can't just stun lock monsters with it, it still seems to detract from the experience. Of the sets you have listed Mizars with Miralis is the best general set and would serve you well in solo. Grongigas hammer with an awakening set is also pretty awesome given its stupidly high amount of slime (400) and absurd raw of over 1500.

Obviously It's hard to give good specific sets especially without looking at charms but the one thing I would say is that mixed sets, while generally less appealing visually, are better for getting in multiple important skills. One of my favorite sets is comprised of the Lagiacrus mail and the Artian greaves along with a mix of Helios X and Z for the rest. That gives me Sharpness +1 which is stupidly helpful in solo quests, Awakening which opens up all kinds of awesome weapons to use like Grongigas, and enough slots left over to gem in earplugs and one or two other things. I would be more specific but I don't have the game in front of me right now :) . But yeah, I've only recently started playing with mixed builds so I can't really give you many specific sets but the best way to find "optimal sets" is kinda just to play around with diffrents sets and make ones that match your play style. In general though, artisan greaves and lagi mail gives you 5 sharpness and 6 awakening strait off so it's a good base for a lot of mixed sets. Also, these two plus Artian Vambraces already gives awakening, the 5 to sharpness and 6 to guard up so I've also found that to be a good base for lance and especially gun lance sets (good bomb boost charms are easy to come by and two remaining pieces plus slots offers a chance for customization).

Hope at least some of this helped :)

Edit: Forgot to mention, I do remember this G-rank set,

Stygian Avaritia (Gunlance)
Helios Helm Z
Artian Vambraces
Lagi Mail
Helios coil Z
Artian greaves
Bomb Boost 10 talisman
1 Shield Jewel 1
1 Shield Jewel 2
1 Handicraft Jewel 3
4 Earplug Jewel 1

Skills:
Sharpness +1
Awakening
Guard up
Earplugs (situational, can sub in anything that takes 1 slot 2 point jewels like stun instead of earplug jewels)

This set lets you laugh at Glacial Agnaktor and Goldenbeard. Block their lasers, exploit their weakness to dragon and do so with a bad@ss looking purple sharpness gun lance. Pretty good for other dragon weak monsters too.
---
The Bird of Hermes is My Name
Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame
#5Sinamoi(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2014 3:51:32 AM
KariyaLollipop posted...
Obviously what you're asking for is pretty broad given that what is optimal varies from hunt to hunt. But I'll try to give some general advice

Most of your sets look pretty solid though, unless you actually know how to bow and use it right, I recommend not using Kelbi because even in solo where you can't just stun lock monsters with it, it still seems to detract from the experience. Of the sets you have listed Mizars with Miralis is the best general set and would serve you well in solo. Grongigas hammer with an awakening set is also pretty awesome given its stupidly high amount of slime (400) and absurd raw of over 1500.

Obviously It's hard to give good specific sets especially without looking at charms but the one thing I would say is that mixed sets, while generally less appealing visually, are better for getting in multiple important skills. One of my favorite sets is comprised of the Lagiacrus mail and the Artian greaves along with a mix of Helios X and Z for the rest. That gives me Sharpness +1 which is stupidly helpful in solo quests, Awakening which opens up all kinds of awesome weapons to use like Grongigas, and enough slots left over to gem in earplugs and one or two other things. I would be more specific but I don't have the game in front of me right now :) . But yeah, I've only recently started playing with mixed builds so I can't really give you many specific sets but the best way to find "optimal sets" is kinda just to play around with diffrents sets and make ones that match your play style. In general though, artisan greaves and lagi mail gives you 5 sharpness and 6 awakening strait off so it's a good base for a lot of mixed sets. Also, these two plus Artian Vambraces already gives awakening, the 5 to sharpness and 6 to guard up so I've also found that to be a good base for lance and especially gun lance sets (good bomb boost charms are easy to come by and two remaining pieces plus slots offers a chance for customization).

Hope at least some of this helped :)

Edit: Forgot to mention, I do remember this G-rank set,

Stygian Avaritia (Gunlance)
Helios Helm Z
Artian Vambraces
Lagi Mail
Helios coil Z
Artian greaves
Bomb Boost 10 talisman
1 Shield Jewel 1
1 Shield Jewel 2
1 Handicraft Jewel 3
4 Earplug Jewel 1

Skills:
Sharpness +1
Awakening
Guard up
Earplugs (situational, can sub in anything that takes 1 slot 2 point jewels like stun instead of earplug jewels)

This set lets you laugh at Glacial Agnaktor and Goldenbeard. Block their lasers, exploit their weakness to dragon and do so with a bad@ss looking purple sharpness gun lance. Pretty good for other dragon weak monsters too.

Appreciate this post. Thanks! So what solo bow would you recommend, over Kelbi? While I could probably search the forum, no harm in asking you here, since you seem to know.
#6SizableMattressPosted 3/29/2014 8:08:46 AM
Kelbi bow works just fine solo. People just hate on it. You can easily beat most g rank monsters solo with sub 15 times with a decent kelbi set. It doesn't work as well as it does in a group, but then nothing does.
---
3ds friend code: 0645-7095-3198
3ds profile name: Mattress. Pokemon ign: bilbo
#7KariyaLollipopPosted 3/29/2014 11:30:40 AM
I don't recommend anything over Kelbi, I just don't like cheesing with it. Real use of the Kelbi bow is fine but (in my experience) cheesing with it takes away a lot of the challenge that solo otherwise provides.
---
The Bird of Hermes is My Name
Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame