Is Elemental Discharge worth using?

#1Professor_AzurePosted 3/28/2014 5:54:32 PM
Topic.

I noticed if I open with Elemental Discharge with a status SA, it seems to inflict said status a lot quicker, but I'm not so sure with elemental and power phial. Is my DPS higher if use Discharge rather than spam sword mode? And should I really use it all? Is it necessary? I tried googling this, but I can't seem to find anything clear.
---
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
PSN: Oreo_Lightning
#2Mean_BeaniePosted 3/28/2014 6:47:18 PM
Most of the time, not really.
---
http://imageshack.us/a/img197/2627/umold.png
3DS FC: 5086-1093-2996
#3Holy_forksPosted 3/28/2014 7:39:14 PM
Your dps is going to be lower. Thats not the point of discharge. Discharge is there to get in damage in a very small window. In the time it takes to do a discharge you can get 2 hits in sword mode.
Discharge will outdps those 2 hits but the downtime+phial energy lost doesn't make it viable.

Use it ONLY when you know you wont be able to attack during all the time you will be in the post-burst animation.

That or status bursts that happen to procc on a status inflict are amazing. Very random though.
---
MH3U/NNID : holyfork 3DS FC:1504-5787-9398
#4Professor_Azure(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2014 8:06:31 PM
Sounds good! Thanks, guys!
---
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
PSN: Oreo_Lightning
#5MartinAW4Posted 3/29/2014 3:11:43 AM
Yeah, while you are hitting, the discharge has about 65% more DPS than spamming X in sword mode. The only problem is that after the burst finisher, you are pushed back and unable to move for about two seconds during which you could have gotten two more sword hits in, so the overall DPS is about equal.

The Element Disharge deals the same damage as 6.5 sword hits, but it deals them in 4 seconds followed by 2.5 seconds of immobility while Sword X hits deal 1 hit per second during 6.5 seconds.

That`s why the discharge is great during small openings (like a tripped monster) when you want to deal as much damage to a monster part or weak spot in the limited time you have available. And since it deals 9 hits instead of 6.5 like sword mode does, it is also great for inflicting status and dealing element damage.

A good example is Alatreon whose head is normally unreachable, but when you shoot him down with the Ballista Binder, you have about 6 seconds to hit his head. So you can reach the highest DPS by doing 2 sword hits (2 seconds) followed by the discharge (4 seconds) so that the finisher lands just as he gets up and you can reload while he is running around out of your attack range.

You can check the DPS values of all melee weapons here:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/642342-monster-hunter-3-ultimate/68529875
#6Holy_forksPosted 3/29/2014 8:48:29 AM
As far as statuses go discharge counts as 3 hits. the thrust, the sparking and the actual discharge. If the 1st hit of sparking proccs status all the sparks will. As far as a #ofRNGrolls/status inflicted ratio those are pretty good odds.
---
MH3U/NNID : holyfork 3DS FC:1504-5787-9398