Does anyone actually use the lock on?

#21ChromaticAngelPosted 11/11/2012 3:39:27 PM
Element_Pearl posted...
I don't believe I ever said I was 'bad' with lock-on, on. I'm just as effective either way

No, as a matter of fact, I do believe you said you were bad with lock-on.

Element_Pearl posted...
How can you 'suck with lock on' when you can do better without using it at all? I have absolutely no problems destroying every part of an enemy that can be destroyed. All lock on is is an inefficient way to press more buttons and make it actually tougher to hit the parts of the enemy you want.

---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#22Element_Pearl(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2012 3:41:45 PM(edited)
Uh huh. So...where did I say I was bad. All I said was that it's inefficient and makes things harder than they need to be, which is absolutely true,for everyone. I can do it either way, but why should I work harder? Anyone who thinks lock on is making things easier for them just doesn't know how to play well.
---
Official Censored Element of the Fraternal Order of Monster Hunter Gentlemen.
#23SeilaerionPosted 11/11/2012 3:41:44 PM
Certain bosses, otherwise generally no. With Hunter being an exception due to the reticle being useful for telling when something will launch.

Sometimes, the camera and lock on don't play well. Screw using it for Hrungnir's shoulders imo for instance x.x When he turns, the lock on and camera almost always throw me into his face lol.
---
PSN: Seilaerion
#24ChromaticAngelPosted 11/11/2012 3:42:49 PM(edited)
Element_Pearl posted...
Uh huh. So...where did I say I was bad. All I said was that it's inefficient and makes things harder than they need to be, which is absolutely true. I can do it either way, but why should I work harder?

you said you:
Element_Pearl posted...
can do better without using it at all?

and you also said lock on:

Element_Pearl posted...
actually tougher to hit the parts of the enemy you want

Do you have some kind of different definition of the word "bad" than the rest of the world does?
---
"The easiest way to stop piracy is ... by giving those people a service that's better than what they're receiving from the pirates." ~ Gabe Newell.
#25FoBiAPosted 11/11/2012 3:47:25 PM
It's a crutch? Really, TC?

lol, ok.
---
"So who is FoBiA, really?" - CJayC
#26TheDarkNerdPosted 11/11/2012 3:47:59 PM
Do you have some kind of different definition of the word "bad" than the rest of the world does?

Do you? "Do worse" and "do poorly" are entirely different things. Winning $50 in a bet is worse than winning $100, but it's certainly not bad, like it would be losing that money.

And I do have to admit, the lock-on system is, frankly, not very good in this game. When I press right and slightly up, I expect it to target whatever is right and slightly up of whatever I'm looking at, not move the reticule to the left and decide to target a different foot. Plus, just because I'm locked on to something doesn't mean I want it to be the sole focus of my attention. I hate having to whack blindly behind me at some mob enemies just because the reticule doesn't want to seem to leave the boss its glued to. Or worse, the enemy I want to lock on to is right in front of me, and I'm still stuck looking at some distant point.
---
http://i39.tinypic.com/xnar69.gif
#27ChromaticAngelPosted 11/11/2012 3:50:33 PM
TheDarkNerd posted...

Do you? "Do worse" and "do poorly" are entirely different things. Winning $50 in a bet is worse than winning $100, but it's certainly not bad, like it would be losing that money.

And I do have to admit, the lock-on system is, frankly, not very good in this game. When I press right and slightly up, I expect it to target whatever is right and slightly up of whatever I'm looking at, not move the reticule to the left and decide to target a different foot. Plus, just because I'm locked on to something doesn't mean I want it to be the sole focus of my attention. I hate having to whack blindly behind me at some mob enemies just because the reticule doesn't want to seem to leave the boss its glued to. Or worse, the enemy I want to lock on to is right in front of me, and I'm still stuck looking at some distant point.

So by this definition, the only "bad" tactic in this game is to stand still and let the enemies kill you over and over again.
---
#28TheDarkNerdPosted 11/11/2012 3:55:58 PM
So by this definition, the only "bad" tactic in this game is to stand still and let the enemies kill you over and over again.

. . . you really have a poor grasp of formal logic, don't you?

Look, let's rate something on a scale of 1 to 10, just as an example to highlight the scenario. Let's say a novice player would be in the 2-4 range, just to make full use of the scale. An experienced player is able to play at a 9-10 level without using the lockon, but when he does use the lockon, all it does is get in his way, bringing him down to an 8-9 level. Does that mean he's "bad" when he's using lockon?
---
http://i39.tinypic.com/xnar69.gif
#29Element_Pearl(Topic Creator)Posted 11/11/2012 3:56:40 PM
Again, even if I was using lock on, I'm still likely better than you are at this game. What's your PSN? I want to see if, like me, you got to Ch. 8 without getting the 10 death trophy yet.
---
Official Censored Element of the Fraternal Order of Monster Hunter Gentlemen.
#30xXxHaseoxXxPosted 11/11/2012 4:00:58 PM
Element_Pearl posted...
Again, even if I was using lock on, I'm still likely better than you are at this game. What's your PSN? I want to see if, like me, you got to Ch. 8 without getting the 10 death trophy yet.

I don't see how this at all shows any skill. People can die 10 times just getting used to the game, all that shows is that you got the hang of it quicker.
---
PSN:K-quick