There a benefit to hunters?

#1lordbinkyPosted 12/8/2012 12:58:19 PM
Are there a required set of cards to make hunters viable or even worthwhile? I just don't get their purpose.

Range: Mages > Hunters
AP: Hunters have the lowest
Damage: lowest per hit
Toughness: Mages > Hunters

So, they can't hit hard, they can't move much (AP), they have the toughness of a wet piece of cardboard, and they don't even out range mages to stay safe. I want to believe they are usable somehow but I haven't seen how yet.
#2ayashiboiPosted 12/8/2012 2:55:46 PM
WHAAAAT!?!?!

Hunters are amazing for hunting certain bosses and they barely receive any damage. I"m not sure if you're doing anything wrong, but their dps is 2nd to assassins that don't take awhile to use (TTOOO is amazing).

i think they're one of the easier classes to do decent damage as you can easily get 3 bow aptitudes from the store (costing 5 each), and that pretty much doubles your damage right there. A lot of their 4th tier bows have bow aptitude/attention concentrate which is an added bonus.

I always have at least a level 3 attention concentrate with me ( have two atm) that way i can maximize stun and easily launch any regular monster with a couple forward+O.

I also carry a king of the horizon to help me quickly aerial escape if necessary (grendel's sweat shower especially).

Since they are range, you can stay in battle longer and keep attacking while other classes need to dodge out in time. This is especially true for any Orc bosses who after having a piece of armor break, they do a shout attack. Or hati/skoll who does an ice/fire pillar attack around their body.

Also, because of their frailness, you actually need to focus on dodging, which in turn helps you in the long run for any characters to not get hit.

I do agree they are quite weak at the start of the game, but end-game, they are really good. :D
#3Noctis3880Posted 12/8/2012 3:20:41 PM
Range is slightly longer than mages, especially with Great Shot. What I have a problem with is that the character is unbalanced in general stats. I can have the same atk as my assassin, but it'll do less damage per hit. I suspect the class got nerfed in the American version as the Japanese version is said to be overpowered.

3x bow aptitude cards sounds great in theory until you factor in the 3 card slots out of 8 that sucks up. The ridiculously low hp means it's even more confined to dodging than the assassin, meaning it'll ultimately have lower DPS. The TTOOO combo is good for single targets, but restricted to ground use, and you'll often be up in the air with most bosses. The Air attacks have a limited vertical range, meaning when you're in the air, you'll often only be able to hit other foes in the air too.

So far as I can see, hunters don't have much of an advantage. To my knowledge, the only thing unique about them is their multiple hit attacks at range, which has the best chance of proccing status ailments like freeze, so they'd be great support in multiplayer, but that would be it.
#4lordbinky(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2012 4:36:24 PM
ayashiboi posted...
WHAAAAT!?!?!

Hunters are amazing for hunting certain bosses and they barely receive any damage. I"m not sure if you're doing anything wrong, but their dps is 2nd to assassins that don't take awhile to use (TTOOO is amazing).

i think they're one of the easier classes to do decent damage as you can easily get 3 bow aptitudes from the store (costing 5 each), and that pretty much doubles your damage right there. A lot of their 4th tier bows have bow aptitude/attention concentrate which is an added bonus.

I haven't used bow aptitudes yet so maybe that's what I am missing.

I always have at least a level 3 attention concentrate with me ( have two atm) that way i can maximize stun and easily launch any regular monster with a couple forward+O.

I think I have a lvl 2 on a bow, but I thought there was one that increased how fast the moves charge, but all except for two combos I never get enough room or time to actually finish and be in range. It's really frustrating compaired to a mage's jump T+O dodge and you have a change to set them on fire, it has knockback to it, and hits for 500+ compaired to the ranger's >100 per hit.

I also carry a king of the horizon to help me quickly aerial escape if necessary (grendel's sweat shower especially).

Since they are range, you can stay in battle longer and keep attacking while other classes need to dodge out in time. This is especially true for any Orc bosses who after having a piece of armor break, they do a shout attack. Or hati/skoll who does an ice/fire pillar attack around their body.

I'll have to work on them more, but the range on everything I've found to be so short compared to a mage's jump+TO fireball which gets better even more range if you have chant 1.

Also, because of their frailness, you actually need to focus on dodging, which in turn helps you in the long run for any characters to not get hit.

And I'm fine with dodging, especially as with the mage and assassin, but hunters have such LOW AP, it's ridiculous what it takes to get them to 1K when my other classes are +2k without trying.
#5damn_you_darioPosted 12/8/2012 7:46:35 PM
Hunters are glass cannons, but they're great glass cannons.
With a basic DS build that uses 2 Blaze DS/Orcish Trance and boosters such as Queen of the Hill or Sky Conqueror, each hit of your TTOOO will do around 600-700 damage. The DPS is much better than Mages so you'll recover HP that much faster during DS. If you stack in a Critical Build on there, then of course that damage will go even higher.
---
The Scarlet King
#6angmodurianPosted 12/8/2012 8:08:33 PM
I probably will do a hunter guide. Hunters is quite decent in DS mode because i am dealing 1.2k per bullet during arrow vulcan (TT+OOO). For my ds build, my hunter is practically in ds mode forever because i am using Minstrel's bow with Songstress blessing + Heretic brief. One arrow shower is almost sufficient to fill up the 1/4 tank (i have 3 SP recycles equipped).

I have to agree that hunter is probably late gamer if you are looking for damage. But they have decent attack speed anyway, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem besides aerial battle. A pure damage + crit build should dish out pretty decent damage.
---
PSN ID: angmoduriankhan