Will you be able to turn off power shots ?

#1crazybotPosted 4/30/2012 5:44:53 AM
to play a pure game of tennis without them ?
#2RLegacy3Posted 4/30/2012 5:54:31 AM
You mean chance shots? I'd be very surprised if we couldn't. I'm pretty sure one of the videos even shows a standard game being played.

Probably not for online ranked matches, though.
#3crazybot(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2012 7:52:43 AM
I'm not sure what the chance shots are exactly. In the GC version, there's a shot that basically saves a miss automatically, even if you are across the court away from the ball. With a snazzy character driven animation. I always thought it was a cheap thing that took away from pure tennis. Thankfully you can turn it off in that version. you'd think the new one would have this option as well. but you never know in this crazy videogame world.
#4MrPerson01Posted 4/30/2012 8:39:15 AM
Probably only in Exhibition mode like the console games.

When I play Mario Tennis, I expect to play Mario Tennis, not Tennis with Mario characters. I loved the Power Shots in Mario Power Tennis, and I'll love the Chance Shots in this game too.
#5crazybot(Topic Creator)Posted 4/30/2012 9:14:26 AM
MrPerson01 posted...
Probably only in Exhibition mode like the console games.

When I play Mario Tennis, I expect to play Mario Tennis, not Tennis with Mario characters. I loved the Power Shots in Mario Power Tennis, and I'll love the Chance Shots in this game too.

more options are always better than fewer ones. Having the power shots can be fun. but letting one choose how they want to play makes everyone happy.
#6RLegacy3Posted 4/30/2012 10:20:38 AM
crazybot posted...
I'm not sure what the chance shots are exactly. In the GC version, there's a shot that basically saves a miss automatically, even if you are across the court away from the ball. With a snazzy character driven animation. I always thought it was a cheap thing that took away from pure tennis. Thankfully you can turn it off in that version. you'd think the new one would have this option as well. but you never know in this crazy videogame world.

I know all about them. I own Mario Power Tennis. :p

Chance shots are where a coloured circle appears where the ball is set to land, and if you match it with the corresponding shot type it'll be a lot more powerful.

I'm hoping you can turn them off, but again, it seems likely they'll be mandatory for ranked online matches.
#7Vespa_412Posted 4/30/2012 10:31:38 AM
Reading this topic just made me realize there are no more defense shots. Chance shots are basically replacements for offensive power shots, but now your opponent can't bs you from across the court with defense shots now. Awesome
---
The below statement is true.
The above statement is false.
#8Arceus1234Posted 4/30/2012 10:32:41 AM
Vespa_412 posted...
Reading this topic just made me realize there are no more defense shots. Chance shots are basically replacements for offensive power shots, but now your opponent can't bs you from across the court with defense shots now. Awesome

I like defense shots... Especialy when Mario's & Daisy's miss XD
---
"Un-Believable!"
-Cheria Barnes - Tales of Graces: f
#9Vespa_412Posted 4/30/2012 10:35:43 AM
Lol yeah, Daisy's was really lame. But then ones like Peach's that returned as a deep lob were really annoying.
---
The below statement is true.
The above statement is false.
#10GigaMan91Posted 4/30/2012 11:23:36 AM
There are no power shots in this game. They're going back to basics and putting in what are called "chance shots" which are just fancy new shot techniques.