Honestly, what's Grima's deal anyway? (SPOILERS)

#11legendriderPosted 2/12/2014 8:09:36 AM
RDS1 posted...
Presumably, to show those other evil dragons how it's done, and also to flip a gigantic middle finger to Naga, just because he can.

Tru facs
---
Don't play to win, play for fun. Love playing games with people, that's why I love Wi-Fi
3DS: 1203-9417-6170, PSN: Trixster196
#12RJWalker243Posted 2/12/2014 8:11:24 AM
Naga is supposed to be dead anyway.

Nagi is still out there though.
#13Sentinel07Posted 2/12/2014 12:27:51 PM(edited)
Strawberry_Eggs posted...
We'll probably find out in a future installment. Medeus's backstory was largely unexplained in the first game and Shadow Dragon, being explored in Mystery of the Emblem. Grima may be the same. He/she/it may have an intriguing past considering the implied connection to the earth dragons, but we can only speculate until (I hope) his background is revealed.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking too. They seemed to leave a lot of things about Grima unsolved such as his real relation to Earth Dragons and the humanoid face that appears on him as his health goes down.

And if a sequel does come and do that, they really need to explain what's up the mechanics. The completed Fire Emblem/Binding Shield was needed to seal the Earth Dragons, and yet it's not complete in Awakening but no dragons are in sight.

I also agree that it's incredible that an NES villain like Gharnef actually has better reasons for this actions than Validar. The guy has no presence, his Dark spell isn't that strong, and he constantly avoids the question whenever someone asks why someone would try to revive someone like Grima who they know will just kill them anyway. His skillset on Normal mode is lousy too, especially for a guy who's supposed to be strong.
#14RJWalker243Posted 2/12/2014 12:36:03 PM
Sentinel07 posted...

I also agree that it's incredible that an NES villain like Gharnef actually has better reasons for this actions than Validar.

Gharnef's reasons are actually really just petty jealousy but he goes to such lengths because of it that you just have to admire it. He makes for a much better villain than Validar. He's the driving force behind the plot and for the most of the game, Marth's beef is with him, not Medeus. Medeus in FE1/FE11 is a looming threat. Gharnef is the actual villain. He's present throughout the story, makes one hell of an impression in his first appearance unlike Validar and has plans and ambitions that go beyond playing second fiddle to Medeus. It's actually quite interesting how he is impossible to kill, even for Medeus and has the daring to go around carrying Falchion, the one weapon Medeus fears. And yet Gharnef is powerless against Medeus too for he can't use Falchion. Also he manipulates Marth into offing his competition: Camus and Michalis. And yet it was Gharnef who took the children of Grust's king hostage, forcing Camus to fight Marth and used Michalis' ambition to his advantage.

Gharnef is one hell of a villain. Validar is a joke.
#15Sentinel07Posted 2/12/2014 12:40:44 PM
RJWalker243 posted...
Sentinel07 posted...

I also agree that it's incredible that an NES villain like Gharnef actually has better reasons for this actions than Validar.

Gharnef's reasons are actually really just petty jealousy but he goes to such lengths because of it that you just have to admire it. He makes for a much better villain than Validar. He's the driving force behind the plot and for the most of the game, Marth's beef is with him, not Medeus. Medeus in FE1/FE11 is a looming threat. Gharnef is the actual villain. He's present throughout the story, makes one hell of an impression in his first appearance unlike Validar and has plans and ambitions that go beyond playing second fiddle to Medeus. It's actually quite interesting how he is impossible to kill, even for Medeus and has the daring to go around carrying Falchion, the one weapon Medeus fears. And yet Gharnef is powerless against Medeus too for he can't use Falchion. Also he manipulates Marth into offing his competition: Camus and Michalis. And yet it was Gharnef who took the children of Grust's king hostage, forcing Camus to fight Marth and used Michalis' ambition to his advantage.

Gharnef is one hell of a villain. Validar is a joke.

Agreed. Gharnef's reasons may not be anything new, but he at least does his job well and you know you're in for a fight whenever he's on the map.

Validar doesn't have anything. It would have helped if:

1. Grima's Truth actually had better animations and had some special effect that made you have to think (like Imhullu).
2. He actually had good skills on all difficulties, instead of a couple of lousy ones on Normal mode.
3. He had any real motivation whatsoever.

If he had any combination of the three, he might have been bearable.
#16Airship_CanonPosted 2/12/2014 4:17:57 PM
Gharnef is one of two bosses who can't be beaten through brute force in the entire series [The other is PoR!Black Knight. [You can't ever beat him save for the Ike v BK fight, and RD!BK just has high stats, but if you pour EXP onto Soren you can beat him on 3-7. And on Easy mode, if you unequip him and get him hit by a Venin weapon, he can die on 1-E.]]

Grima's Truth should've had an effect rather than be a mere B-rank tome [Oh wow, unbreakable Thoron. That's basically what it is.]... Should've been A-ranked, gave Dragonskin as its effect, and I dunno, been Brave? [And then lock his ass to Luna+/Vantage+/Hawkeye on Lunatic+.]
---
I've already Fallen! I can't drive it out of my head! It's that I fall...!
Don't look down!
#17Galwen(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2014 2:06:00 AM
How does a less powerful dragon get a Tome that grants damage halving?
#18Airship_CanonPosted 2/13/2014 2:47:36 AM
Galwen posted...
How does a less powerful dragon get a Tome that grants damage halving?

Ask Loptyr?
---
I've already Fallen! I can't drive it out of my head! It's that I fall...!
Don't look down!