Why do people complain about English dub so much?

#1Pikablu45Posted 10/1/2012 4:28:15 PM
It's seriously annoying...I mean this game won't be any worse with English dubs in it...for the most part I can't help but feel that people only like Japanese VA to agree with a select population of people who do because the voices sound so suitable, when let's be fair most of us don't UNDERSTAND the tone of what is being said in Japanese and phrases are meant to be expressed (unless you're Japanese or have been immersed in the culture for quite some time).

The reason people complain about English VA is that it seems that phrases that we hear normally are repeated in a different context in a grossly overexaggerated/cringing fashion when: 1) actually those same people probably have no idea if the Japanese counterpart is doing the same and 2) let's be honest English dubs aren't that bad...when translating Japanese it's often incredibly difficult to put the phrases in a colloquial way which we all use in everyday language. And (we see it in subs on anime/manga) the way Japanese sentences are expressed in English is usually quite unusual (it's really hard to capture the meaning of a sentence in a translation esp. in Japanese), thus we are unaccustomed to hearing certain phrases being put in a certain way and automatically assume it is bad when 3) if we had said the same things (keeping in mind that these are not everyday phrases) it would be put on the same way (intonation and everything).

Don't get me wrong, Japanese dubs definitely sound cool, but are they really a better alternative to having our own English ones?

Tbh people complain about VA in EVERY game when sometimes it really doesn't matter. Fire emblem with/without VA or with/without English dubs won't change my decision in the slightest to buy this game.
---
Lang Zi says 'Furio Tigre can only be half the beastly hot man my descendant can be...'
You go Shifu!! *Fangirl Roar*
#2Cheesepower5Posted 10/1/2012 4:33:08 PM
I don't even like the Japanese voices in this game much. A few characters like Krom, Frederick and Sumia sound pretty damn good, but some feel just... Off. Like Donny, just weird, and not like a kid at all. Frankly whatever Ninty dooks out couldn't make me suddenly hate it more, unless it's like that video in the other dub thread... *shudder*

And yeah, it is quite hard to tell, not knowing any Japanese...
---
Official Izanagi of the SMT IV board.
#3SkaldskaparmalPosted 10/1/2012 4:36:23 PM
Cheesepower5 posted...
Sumia sound pretty damn good

Disturbing.
#4Wandering__HeroPosted 10/1/2012 4:42:37 PM
Because when you add english audio to something Hipster/Elitest value goes down, unless you declare the japanese voices a thousand times better even when they aren't
---
This site gives 1.1 cups of food for each click a day. Please click it
http://www.thehungersite.com
#5EndgamePosted 10/1/2012 4:57:58 PM
the specific anticipated problem with the Awakening english voice acting is NoA's choice of voice actors for their dubs

see: Kid Icarus: Uprising

or hell, just go rewatch PoR and RD's FMVs

.....although admittedly, with the scripts of the forementioned games, I don't think even good voice actors would make a difference (the constant stream of verbal diarrhea that is KI:U's dialogue would certainly be horrible no matter who was saying it)
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#6Cheesepower5Posted 10/1/2012 6:25:45 PM
Skaldskaparmal posted...
Cheesepower5 posted...
Sumia sound pretty damn good

Disturbing.

From what I've heard of the battle cries, anyway. Maybe the dialogue sounds horrible.
---
Official Izanagi of the SMT IV board.
#7MIssDevilingPosted 10/1/2012 6:47:14 PM
Because half the time, characters depicted as under 18 sound like a 40-year-old man trying to be a teenager. The Japanese tend to hire a lot of young talent versus their American counterparts, from what I've seen. It's just a case of being seriously miscast. FUNimation is good for the most part, but they don't have a large enough roster of voice actors at their arsenal. It's always the same few, and they're not getting any younger. Awakening doesn't have too many kids, so it won't be that bad, but for Nono, Richt, Donny, Nn, Liz (and maybe Cynthia and Noire), who are depicted as children or child-like, I can see some potential trouble there. Then, there are the more cutesy characters like Azure (just listen to his Japanese VA) for whom management never seems to get the right voice actor.

It's really all just a casting issue, I think. English VAs have come a long way, with exceptional ones like Troy Baker who are just really talented. Really, it's all on management's part to pick the right ones for the right roles.
---
http://keilis.deviantart.com
#8KysafenPosted 10/1/2012 11:11:34 PM
It's because we think games deserve nothing but the best. It'd be thoroughly disappointing to see that Nintendo of America didn't hold Awakening in such a regard that it would receive the time, care and expenses of a good dub, in the light of Nintendo putting money into advertising the hell out of the next Mario, Zelda, or Mario Sports/Party that everyone knows that people are going to buy the @#$% out of anyway.
---
Wow, I can dispute moderations again? Sweet! I might not hack this godforsaken site after all!
I wonder how many people are ignoring me... let's fnd out!
#9Shadow_Fire41Posted 10/2/2012 3:51:07 AM
Pikablu45 posted...
It's seriously annoying...I mean this game won't be any worse with English dubs in it...for the most part I can't help but feel that people only like Japanese VA to agree with a select population of people who do because the voices sound so suitable, when let's be fair most of us don't UNDERSTAND the tone of what is being said in Japanese and phrases are meant to be expressed (unless you're Japanese or have been immersed in the culture for quite some time).

The reason people complain about English VA is that it seems that phrases that we hear normally are repeated in a different context in a grossly overexaggerated/cringing fashion when: 1) actually those same people probably have no idea if the Japanese counterpart is doing the same and 2) let's be honest English dubs aren't that bad...when translating Japanese it's often incredibly difficult to put the phrases in a colloquial way which we all use in everyday language. And (we see it in subs on anime/manga) the way Japanese sentences are expressed in English is usually quite unusual (it's really hard to capture the meaning of a sentence in a translation esp. in Japanese), thus we are unaccustomed to hearing certain phrases being put in a certain way and automatically assume it is bad when 3) if we had said the same things (keeping in mind that these are not everyday phrases) it would be put on the same way (intonation and everything).

Don't get me wrong, Japanese dubs definitely sound cool, but are they really a better alternative to having our own English ones?

Tbh people complain about VA in EVERY game when sometimes it really doesn't matter. Fire emblem with/without VA or with/without English dubs won't change my decision in the slightest to buy this game.

Mao, will you be my best friend!?
---
Logic and Sanity are lies for those who fear the unknown.
#10BhelliumPosted 10/2/2012 3:53:48 AM
Because bad dubs can look really silly, and poorly synced dubs generally have godawful voice actors/scripting on top.

I watch most anime dubbed but some are just so atrocious I have to go with subtitles instead. Of course there are plenty of animes with ridiculously annoying VAs as well, it all depends.
---
P&L: Deal w/it
Cookie if you get the reference