Why do people complain about English dub so much?

#11rhys855Posted 10/2/2012 7:22:28 AM
Kysafen posted...
It's because we think games deserve nothing but the best. It'd be thoroughly disappointing to see that Nintendo of America didn't hold Awakening in such a regard that it would receive the time, care and expenses of a good dub, in the light of Nintendo putting money into advertising the hell out of the next Mario, Zelda, or Mario Sports/Party that everyone knows that people are going to buy the @#$% out of anyway.

Whats wrong with Zelda?

OT: I just prefer sub, nobody said they were better or needed .But, some shows or games can sound better dub like DBZ sounds far better in English.
---
Pakkun loves to dig deep in tight,dirty, holes.
#12LordYggdrasilXXPosted 10/2/2012 11:23:07 AM
Weeaboos of course.
#13Sentinel07Posted 10/2/2012 4:10:47 PM
I wonder why there are so many complaints too. I don't think Japanese shows are bad, but I can't get into them anymore because I can't understand what they're saying. It's not enough for me to rely on subtitles anymore.

I think many companies nowadays have improved english voice acting. Besides, even it's not the best, I still get to hear the story in a language I can understand, and that's good enough for me.
#14Kagemusha_OulmnPosted 10/2/2012 9:01:59 PM
I don't begrudge anyone their dubs, but I almost always prefer the Japanese voice track.

To me, it makes sense to watch something in the original tongue. Why would you want to watch City of Lost Children in anything other than French? The truth is, dubs are just that -- dubs. They are the combination of foreign actors with foreign body language and foreign sensibilities with one's native language, and the result is never perfect. Not to say that subs are perfect either, but they are certainly less obtrusive.

Elitist? Perhaps.

...Sure, games can get away with it when lip-syncing isn't involved, and some companies really go all-out with their localization. I commend them for it. Still, I greatly appreciate the option to change to Japanese audio.
---
Series that desperately need another game:
LoZ:FS, BoF, Chrono and MM:L (You were so close, my friend!)
#15Huff n puff 20Posted 10/2/2012 9:46:58 PM
See Radiant Dawn.
But it's more likely to be KI:U, which had a lot of B-list VAs, but was amazing.

I don't begrudge anyone their dubs, but I almost always prefer the Japanese voice track.

To me, it makes sense to watch something in the original tongue. Why would you want to watch City of Lost Children in anything other than French? The truth is, dubs are just that -- dubs. They are the combination of foreign actors with foreign body language and foreign sensibilities with one's native language, and the result is never perfect. Not to say that subs are perfect either, but they are certainly less obtrusive.

Elitist? Perhaps.

...Sure, games can get away with it when lip-syncing isn't involved, and some companies really go all-out with their localization. I commend them for it. Still, I greatly appreciate the option to change to Japanese audio.

I don't know, but I wouldn't want to watch "City of Lost Children" as is, but I'd certainly rather watch it in English rather than French.

Outside of stupid 4Kids-ing issues, I've not found anything where I've preferred Subs to Dubs. (and, hell, I've preferred 4Kids dubs to some subbed things, like say for Sonic X (The only exception was the last episode of the SA2 arc, where the Jap. Version had Live and Learn play, and the 4Kids version doesn't.)) Hell, even in cases of TERRIBLE VAs, like Tears to Tiara, I've outright preferred the Dub. (Although in that case, I outright dropped it eventually.)

In cases of games, I want an outright dub- I tend to NOT like foreign voices, and if all I've got is a Japanese voice track, I will look to shut it off. Like with Record of Agarest War. (Very "meh" game, BTW- it's not really worth playing thru. It's like FE2 meets Disgaea, with a 6 character deployment limit. And irritating Japanese voices, and terrible for its platform (Xbox360) graphics.)
---
Dance of the Damned! Instant Balls!
#16azn_boy150Posted 10/2/2012 9:55:56 PM
My thoughts on Japanese Dub vs English Dub is that I'd rather hear English names and words being said in a Japanese accent than hear Japanese names and words being said with an North American accent. It's pretty arbitrary but that's just how I am. But there are exceptions, like the English Dub of Baccano! since you can hear all of the different accents you'd expect from New York in the early 30's. As far as general voice acting goes, I think it's more about the voice actor's actual voice acting skills, not their ethnicity.
---
I'm my own best friend and worst enemy. Often at the same time.
PSN:azn_boy150
#17AsmodeanBTPosted 10/3/2012 2:14:00 AM
Simply put: production values.

Japanese cast tend to actually be casted or the character was made with a specific actor in mind, then when it comes to EU/US it's just whoever does it the cheapest and is in the office that day gets a part.

No one in their right mind would argue that a hypothetical Japanese dub of Red Dead Redemption or GTA IV would be superior, but that's because Rockstar actually puts effort into their casting procedure.
---
Prejudice is a great time saver. It enables you to form opinions without bothering to get facts.
#18Emperor_mateusPosted 10/4/2012 11:29:52 PM(edited)
Endgame posted...
the specific anticipated problem with the Awakening english voice acting is NoA's choice of voice actors for their dubs

see: Kid Icarus: Uprising

or hell, just go rewatch PoR and RD's FMVs

.....although admittedly, with the scripts of the forementioned games, I don't think even good voice actors would make a difference (the constant stream of verbal diarrhea that is KI:U's dialogue would certainly be horrible no matter who was saying it)

Your trolling right? please tell me you are.

I thought the kid Icarus uprising script was awesome, but okay, you can argue about that, but there really is no denying that the voice acting in that game was really, really good.

Your right about the Por and RD voices though, i believe the only decent ones where Lehran and the black knight.

My opinion of this game getting a dub is the same as with every game. If you can pull off a good dub then go for it but, if your English dub is going to be as bad as the Koei dubs you shouldn't even bother with it.
---
..Gwaar... Haaaarr... Haaaaaa... Shoulda brought... more priests... Or some... babies... Dang...
#19azn_boy150Posted 10/5/2012 1:04:29 AM
Emperor_mateus posted...
Endgame posted...
the specific anticipated problem with the Awakening english voice acting is NoA's choice of voice actors for their dubs

see: Kid Icarus: Uprising

.....although admittedly, with the scripts of the forementioned games, I don't think even good voice actors would make a difference (the constant stream of verbal diarrhea that is KI:U's dialogue would certainly be horrible no matter who was saying it)

Your trolling right? please tell me you are.

I thought the kid Icarus uprising script was awesome, but okay, you can argue about that, but there really is no denying that the voice acting in that game was really, really good.

Your right about the Por and RD voices though, i believe the only decent ones where Lehran and the black knight.

My opinion of this game getting a dub is the same as with every game. If you can pull off a good dub then go for it but, if your English dub is going to be as bad as the Koei dubs you shouldn't even bother with it.

Don't bother arguing with him, there's no point.
---
I'm my own best friend and worst enemy. Often at the same time.
PSN:azn_boy150
#20Youmu_KPosted 10/5/2012 3:34:31 AM

EYK! STAI BAK!
---
[Esta mensagem foi apagada ao pedido de um moderador ou administrador]
http://i.imgur.com/HQXJQ.jpg