Does anyone else hate archers?

#31Persoon56Posted 1/26/2013 12:34:56 PM
In my opinion, Archers are a good class, if used properly. Which is to say, behind a unit and out of melee range, if you play your cards right, an archer shouldn't even have to be near the front lines and worry about melee. Plus units like Shinon (in RD of course), Dorothy, Shin (if Nomads count), and Castor (if Hunters count) just tip the balance in their favor for me. Granted there are bad eggs like Ronan and Gordin, but there's always a unit that I think counteracts them.
---
Now to unleash the devastating power of IKE!!!!!!!!!!
#32king_darksPosted 1/26/2013 12:41:05 PM
Snipers are incredible but before that they are archers and archers are garbage.
---
School days are back.
#33guedesbrawlPosted 1/26/2013 12:44:08 PM
BlueSophia posted...
BLAKUboy posted...
shinon is a poor man's rolf.

This. Rolf is amazing. I just let Shinon die in my last PoR playthrough. So useless by the time you get him back.

You do know that Shinon outperforms Rolf in RD right? In PoR, Rolf had better potential because Shinon was a prepromote.

shinon is just easier to train.rolf almost always ends up better overall.
---
Confession Time!
jRPGs are pretty much the best thing that ever happened to Video Games - Soanevalcke6
#34WestbrickIIIPosted 1/26/2013 12:47:26 PM
Persoon56 posted...
In my opinion, Archers are a good class, if used properly. Which is to say, behind a unit and out of melee range, if you play your cards right, an archer shouldn't even have to be near the front lines and worry about melee. Plus units like Shinon (in RD of course), Dorothy, Shin (if Nomads count), and Castor (if Hunters count) just tip the balance in their favor for me. Granted there are bad eggs like Ronan and Gordin, but there's always a unit that I think counteracts them.

Terrible / mediocre archers:
Gordon, Thomas, Jeorge, Ryan, Asaello, Tania, Ronan, Wolt, Dorothy, Igrene, Rebecca, Wil, Louise, Innes, Rolf (FE9), Shinon (FE9)

Decent / good archers:
Paison, Leo, the Gaiden villagers, Jamka, Briggid, Faval, Neimi, Rolf (FE10), Shinon (FE10), Virion

Might be missing a few off the top of my head. That's... actually quite a bit closer in terms of quality than I was expecting. If we throw in nomads / mounted bow fighters, that tips the scale to about even on the whole (although they're still far from exceptional; some of the best archers, like Briggid / Faval, benefit from having OP weapons to play with).
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#35WestbrickIIIPosted 1/26/2013 12:48:46 PM
BlueSophia posted...
-They are consistently faster than most units.
-Their defenses are adequate and decent enough to survive hits from both sides.

These are just wrong. And you're downplaying their inability to contribute on enemy phase, which is where a majority of combat occurs.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#36raazychxPosted 1/26/2013 12:49:20 PM
The only thing archers need to be good units is the ability to have all regular bows treated with longbow ranges. This way they'd be able to attack anyone without fear of counterattack.

It's only fair. Direct units can take them out with ease.
#37Rishah0078Posted 1/26/2013 12:49:23 PM
I try to have a sniper on every team for the killer bow. I get a lot of crits out of my snipers. I usually hand my warriors a bow too, but if I can have that ranged crit threat, that's nice to have.

Now, if I could get a solid sword master + sniper support, I would run that untouchable crit team around like it was going out of style.
#38Meifumado9Posted 1/26/2013 12:50:33 PM
FE12 wasn't all that shabby when it came to archers.
#39Sain_of_CaelinPosted 1/26/2013 12:57:19 PM
-They are consistently faster than most units.
-Their defenses are adequate and decent enough to survive hits from both sides.
-They are strong vs flyers.
-They are better equipped to fight at range and are more map friendly.
-They are one of the best magekillers classes.
-Unaffected by any weapon triangle.

1 and 2 are based more on the character than the class. 3rd is a good point. 4 and 5 are baseless and/or focused on character, not the class. 6 is a point, but the fact that bows are the worst weapon type far outweighs it.

If used properly? If used properly any class/unit can be usable. Units have nothing to do with how good the class is. And just to nullify the "keep them away from front lines and they're awesome argument": a hand axe, javelin or magic unit can be used exactly the same way but either attack Res or have the ability to fight up close when it's called for.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/sainthegoo
https://www.youtube.com/user/VicariousBrian/videos?view=1&flow=grid
#40Enemy_AC130Posted 1/26/2013 1:02:05 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
Persoon56 posted...

Terrible / mediocre archers:
Gordon, Thomas, Jeorge, Ryan, Asaello, Tania, Ronan, Wolt, Dorothy, Igrene, Rebecca, Wil, Louise, Innes, Rolf (FE9), Shinon (FE9)

Decent / good archers:
Paison, Leo, the Gaiden villagers, Jamka, Briggid, Faval, Neimi, Rolf (FE10), Shinon (FE10), Virion

Might be missing a few off the top of my head. That's... actually quite a bit closer in terms of quality than I was expecting. If we throw in nomads / mounted bow fighters, that tips the scale to about even on the whole (although they're still far from exceptional; some of the best archers, like Briggid / Faval, benefit from having OP weapons to play with).

Briggid/Faval would be good even without their Holy weapon.
---
Greatest STP of all time: http://i52.tinypic.com/2nv4g3m.jpg