Does anyone else hate archers?

#41Love_ShotPosted 1/26/2013 2:02:54 PM
I'm a fan of archers. They could learn to use swords though. Also, I'd love healing arrows... :)
---
"Who loves ya, baby?"
#42WestbrickIIIPosted 1/26/2013 2:06:07 PM
Enemy_AC130 posted...
Briggid/Faval would be good even without their Holy weapon.

They'd be closer to mediocre. Can only really contribute on player phase, can't reliably deal with bosses / generals, etc. In fact, I was really tempted to throw Jamka on the "terrible / mediocre" list, but he's a borderline case. That's where Briggid / Faval would end up too, although lower for poor availability.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#43Uru_ZephPosted 1/26/2013 2:24:23 PM
I used to hate archer's, for much the same logic that the TC used. Can't counter-attack? This sucks.

Then I actually used them. As they were meant to be used. And then realized that I was wrong, and simply being whiny because I didn't want to be bothered with "strategy." Now archers are one of the staples of most of my groups.

/end story
#44The_shoemakerPosted 1/26/2013 2:26:45 PM
Support your archer with a meathead. Put meathead in front of archer. Watch your archer pwn.
---
Check out the amazing band "ESCAPE THE FATE" right here! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Me9nPk5ro
#45lovely_panPosted 1/26/2013 2:29:29 PM
I like using archers. They are a decent class and fun to level up. They are good at being bait for leveling up other units as well.
#46WestbrickIIIPosted 1/26/2013 2:33:25 PM
Uru_Zeph posted...
I used to hate archer's, for much the same logic that the TC used. Can't counter-attack? This sucks.

Then I actually used them. As they were meant to be used. And then realized that I was wrong, and simply being whiny because I didn't want to be bothered with "strategy." Now archers are one of the staples of most of my groups.

/end story

Archers can't attack from one-range. Their class is terrible, and easily the worst in the game. You weren't being whiny.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#47TiamatKillerPosted 1/26/2013 2:34:31 PM
After completing the Ranger's Apprentice series, I am always going to try to keep a bow user in my party.
---
i5-3570k @3.4GHZ_GTX 560Ti (2GB)_Asus P8Z77-V Pro_Samsung 840 (250GB)_1TB Seagate_8GB RAM_Zalman 9900 MAX_CoolerMaster HAF 912
#48Scout_TaronPosted 1/26/2013 2:37:48 PM
There is literally no reason to use an archer over a mage
#49Uru_ZephPosted 1/26/2013 2:38:56 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
Uru_Zeph posted...

/end story

Archers can't attack from one-range. Their class is terrible, and easily the worst in the game. You weren't being whiny.

Oh noes, whatever shall I do if they can't counterattack? Surely not protect them until they're leveled up enough that their agility makes them practically as dodgy as an assassin. Not quite as dodgy, but they survive more hits, so it equalizes. They're certainly more survivable than mages, the alternate "ranged" units, and hit (and crit) far more often than any other class using a range-specific weapon. And their value against flying units cannot be overstated.

Point being, I'm not bothered that they can't counterattack against things that get next to them. They very rarely die that way, and cause other units to waste their attacks on them. Which is arguably another plus, since the AI almost always prefers to target archers, but rarely hits.
#50tcaz2Posted 1/26/2013 2:40:24 PM
Archers not being able to attack from close range only matters in low turn count runs when you need to rush everywhere and have units be self-sustainable.

In actual fun ways to play the game, 95% of the time you'll be forming a wall with 2-4 units at a choke point in every game but FE4 and a select few 9 and 10 maps, meaning everyone else is behind that wall and thus only those units matter at all for hitting at close range.

So that whole argument is moot.
---
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2664/7b7aaa038007832d461b28c.jpg