Does anyone else hate archers?

#51WestbrickIIIPosted 1/26/2013 2:43:15 PM
Uru_Zeph posted...
Oh noes, whatever shall I do if they can't counterattack?

Use a better class that isn't locked to a terrible weapon type and can actually counter from one-range?
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#52Scout_TaronPosted 1/26/2013 2:45:10 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
Uru_Zeph posted...

Use a better class that isn't locked to a terrible weapon type and can actually counter from one-range?

Anything with a Javelin/Hand-Axe/Tome >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Archers
#53WestbrickIIIPosted 1/26/2013 2:48:27 PM
tcaz2 posted...
Archers not being able to attack from close range only matters in low turn count runs when you need to rush everywhere and have units be self-sustainable.

In actual fun ways to play the game, 95% of the time you'll be forming a wall with 2-4 units at a choke point in every game but FE4 and a select few 9 and 10 maps, meaning everyone else is behind that wall and thus only those units matter at all for hitting at close range.

So that whole argument is moot.

It's "moot" except for the fact that javelins, hand axes, and tomes do the exact same job much, much better.

Challenge: name a class, independent of particular unit performance, that is worse than archer/sniper. Have fun.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#54Uru_ZephPosted 1/26/2013 2:50:20 PM(edited)
WestbrickIII posted...
Uru_Zeph posted...

Clearly ignoring absolutely everything else I said makes you right. If you can't see it, it's not there.

You must still be in the preoperational stage of Psychological development. Do you parents still play peek-a-boo with you? Don't worry, when they hide under the blanket they're not really gone.
#55WestbrickIIIPosted 1/26/2013 2:51:07 PM
Uru_Zeph posted...
You must still be in the preoperational stage of Psychological development. Do you parents still play peek-a-boo with you? Don't worry, when they hide under the blanket they're not really gone.

Don't throw a hissy fit because you don't understand Fire Emblem. Except in very situational circumstances, there is no reason to use an archer over javelin / hand axe throwers and mages.
---
#56Scout_TaronPosted 1/26/2013 2:53:52 PM
The only game I can really think of where flying units are a big enough problem that you desperately need archers is early-game FE3/12. And that's because they come as already promoted Wyvern Riders. Otherwise, flying units are basically just as strong as normal units, except you have to be careful about how you shield weaker units (which archers certainly don't help with).
#57lovely_panPosted 1/26/2013 2:55:08 PM
If you are leveling up weaker units it is nice to have a unit(like an archer) that cannot always counter attack. That way the weaker units can pick off the enemy unit and gain the experience.
#58bronzefrogPosted 1/26/2013 2:55:37 PM
Archers need better range.

In light of unbalancing the game, maybe even allow them to volley fire across the map but modify hit% based on how far away the target is!
---
Onepunch Man - Shingeki no Kyojin - Vinland Saga - One Piece - Soul Eater - Yu Yu Hakusho - Planetes - Break Blade - Beelzebub - The Breaker
#59RethalwolfPosted 1/26/2013 3:05:44 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
tcaz2 posted...
Archers not being able to attack from close range only matters in low turn count runs when you need to rush everywhere and have units be self-sustainable.

In actual fun ways to play the game, 95% of the time you'll be forming a wall with 2-4 units at a choke point in every game but FE4 and a select few 9 and 10 maps, meaning everyone else is behind that wall and thus only those units matter at all for hitting at close range.

So that whole argument is moot.

It's "moot" except for the fact that javelins, hand axes, and tomes do the exact same job much, much better.

Challenge: name a class, independent of particular unit performance, that is worse than archer/sniper. Have fun.

Dancer. By your own points, they can't counterattack from 1 range (well, I've only played 7-10 but still), they can't use javelins, hand axes, tomes OR bows. Therefore, by your own logic, this is the worst class.
In fact, it's exactly on par with healers and knights you unequip to taunt ballistae and farm EXP.
---
"The point of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the enemy die for his."
#60PKRockin531Posted 1/26/2013 3:09:31 PM(edited)
The one bow user who really shined for me was HM Geitz. Instant B in Bows meant I actually had a Brave Bow user who wasn't absolutely worthless on enemy phase because I could have someone trade and put Axes back on him, and he had all the utility of Rebecca/other worthless Archer only without wasting all the EXP. Thanks to enemies having pitifully low AS in FE7 he doubled most of the game without getting Speed once, too.

Every other game I just use a Mage, since outside of earlygame FE3/12 when have flying units ever been a huge threat? Enemy pegasi always weigh themselves down, and enemy wyverns don't have Res. Even moreso in FE3/12 when Excalibur and Shaver exist, or the GBA games where Aircalibur is a thing, so I could have Merric/Etzel/anyone else run around being an Archer with actual enemy phase?

I value Javelins and Hand Axes even more than Archers to be honest :| Now if they had hilarious range, like getting +1 range on promotion or something I'd use them just for the hilarity.
---
www.youtube.com/user/PKLucas531