Does anyone else hate archers?

#91Sain_of_CaelinPosted 1/26/2013 5:16:55 PM(edited)
I am finished. I see that I will not change your mind and there is nothing else to say that wouldn't be reiterating in different words. I'll allow this to be a guide for other players to place their allegiance as they see fit.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/sainthegoo
https://www.youtube.com/user/VicariousBrian/videos?view=1&flow=grid
#92Kentaro21Posted 1/26/2013 5:23:52 PM
Actually, Archers can be useful if you know how to use them. Keep them at a distance, and behind your close-range units. Play them right, and then they won't be as squishy as you think.
#93Rishah0078Posted 1/26/2013 5:29:49 PM
Their are only a couple reasons to use archers/snipers: Killer bows and long bows. Other ranged attackers are usually going to be better for most situations. I always try to have one sniper for high crit shots.

Saying they are useless because they can't counter from one away sort of kills the swordmaster class too since they normally can't attack from two away as they don't get a second weapon and 1-2 range swords are no where near as common as throwing axes and javelins. It's not good, but you can definitely work around it.

Saying they are extremely useful because you can run them out and they'll dodge attacks or that they're support unit doesn't make a lot of sense because a good mage should be able to dodge and can support from behind just as effectively if not more effectively.

You have to take them for what they're worth. They're good, but you probably don't want more than one.
#94NetMafiaGospelPosted 1/26/2013 5:36:08 PM
I don't specifically hate archers, its just I constantly forget to use them, and so they become useless before long. Also, they seem like a liability to me, seeing as how if they get surrounded, they are useless....Although, I admit, it is hilarious to lure out specific enemies with archers in forests, and then completely cleaning their clock.

The only exception I can think of is Shinon from Radiant Dawn, and that was due to me liking the character.

However, in my current playthrough of Fire Emblem 7, Wil and Louise are becoming hilariously powerful.

Matter of opinion I guess eh?
---
Official Feng Huang (Suzaku) of Shin Megami Tensei IV board
Gladly...Battle is my Forte - Bass
#95MizunoRyuuPosted 1/26/2013 5:37:17 PM
Neimi, Norne and Rebecca are 3 of my favourite units in the Fire Emblem series. They also happen to be archers, and awesomely powerful ones at that.
---
Evelynn is my waifu.
Help... Me...
#96nflchampPosted 1/26/2013 5:54:17 PM
Rethalwolf posted...

A healer is the opposite, and a dancer I don't even know where I would place. But snipers, when they can't kill an enemy (which they usually can), put an enemy in a position where next hit they'll probably die. Which makes your next unit to attack likely not take any damage to swoop in for the finish, thus immediately protecting that sniper (if you're smart about it).

You know, the major argument against this being a plus for archers is that 1-2 range weapons exist, right? If I don't want to take damage I can throw a hand axe or something and end up in the same place as if I used an archer, except with the obvious advantage that my hand axe use can engage an enemy (and weaken it to be killed on player phase) on the enemy phase.

Healers are good for allies you simply can't keep from dying,

Healers are good because it let's you use your player phase more effectively. You can attack and finish off an enemy rather than self-heal because of a healer's existence.

dancers are good if you want to put yourself in a really precarious position in order to solve a problem more quickly.

Dancers are good because they let me avoid precarious positions by eliminating a problem or gaining extra healing to buff durability to endure the problem or to reposition to prevent the problem from being a problem.

Dancers and healers clearly give me more tactical advantages than archers.
#97WestbrickIIIPosted 1/26/2013 6:11:45 PM
NetMafiaGospel posted...
However, in my current playthrough of Fire Emblem 7, Wil and Louise are becoming hilariously powerful.

PEMN
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#98NetMafiaGospelPosted 1/26/2013 6:13:33 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
NetMafiaGospel posted...

PEMN

Ah hell. Totally forgot about that rule.

...Disregard that comment then, folks!
---
Official Feng Huang (Suzaku) of Shin Megami Tensei IV board
Gladly...Battle is my Forte - Bass
#99VerityBuggPosted 1/26/2013 7:27:10 PM
I really can't understand why people are getting so upset that people like using archers. Archers fit well into the way some people play and poorly for how others play. The logic of it doesn't really matter since it's mostly just player preference. So instead of getting angry just enjoy the way you play and let others enjoy the way they play.
---
Bugginthesystem.com
#100Sain_of_CaelinPosted 1/26/2013 7:34:38 PM
I really can't understand why people are getting so upset that people like using archers. Archers fit well into the way some people play and poorly for how others play. The logic of it doesn't really matter since it's mostly just player preference. So instead of getting angry just enjoy the way you play and let others enjoy the way they play.

It's not that others like Archers, that's fine. But saying you like a class and saying the class is good are two different things:

I like using iron swords.

VS.

Iron swords have more might than steel swords.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/sainthegoo
https://www.youtube.com/user/VicariousBrian/videos?view=1&flow=grid