what is with all of you trolls hating on casual mode

#11NovaWingz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 11:32:31 AM
MarthMoopa posted...
The problem with casual mode is that it provides no alternative penalty for getting killed. Units killed on Casual should gain a "wounded" status, preventing them from joining the next chapter. Having absolutely no penalty whatsoever is ridiculous.

isnt that classic without the death
---
it's time to end this prepare to die SAVAGE WOLF FURY,im not done with you yet take this BURNING RAGNAROK, heh heh heh you thought this was over ARS ARCANUM
#12la_mayonesaPosted 1/28/2013 11:34:34 AM
KeyToSuccess posted...
la_mayonesa posted...
I haven't seen one person acting like the existance of the mode somehow effects the quality of the game, just a lot of people (although some more strongly and rudely than necessary) recommending to not use that mode to get the full experience.

I have. A crazy poster mentioned hand holding and asked if we wanted the ability to save anywhere too. Because we haven't been able to that since DOS computer RPG's obviously.

But like you said most people are more civil.

Anyway TC I don't care how others play their single player games.

Yeah I just saw that poster about 5 minutes after I typed that >_>

So...I haven't seen two people act like it effects the game?
---
there is no excuse to show this episode 3 times in one week - Canti
So if adult swim were a gamefacks poster it would make the same topics too many times?-Zora
#13WestbrickIIIPosted 1/28/2013 11:43:49 AM
NovaWingz posted...
MarthMoopa posted...
The problem with casual mode is that it provides no alternative penalty for getting killed. Units killed on Casual should gain a "wounded" status, preventing them from joining the next chapter. Having absolutely no penalty whatsoever is ridiculous.

I believe he means for one chapter, not the entire game.

To those embracing casual mode because "It's an option": what if there was an "option" to save your game at any point, a la save states with an emulator? What if there was an "option" to instantly power up your characters to max stats if the going got tough? What if there was an "option" to skip to the credits with the push of a button?
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#14pokemonfreak97Posted 1/28/2013 11:47:58 AM
WestbrickIII posted...
NovaWingz posted...
MarthMoopa posted...

I believe he means for one chapter, not the entire game.

To those embracing casual mode because "It's an option": what if there was an "option" to save your game at any point, a la save states with an emulator? What if there was an "option" to instantly power up your characters to max stats if the going got tough? What if there was an "option" to skip to the credits with the push of a button?

A: I wouldn't care. So people can cheat. People can and do cheat in just about everything.

B: Not a big deal; might even enjoy trying it once.

C: Well, that wouldn't be fun, and that's the difference.
---
Gen VI in 2013? I'll believe that when Iris becomes Champion!
Official Pokemon #678 of the Pokemon X boards. What?
#15maiminasePosted 1/28/2013 11:49:52 AM
Well it's true, and the fact that it's an option doesn't bother me. I mean, it's an OPTION.
---
Show me your moves!
PSN: Loreles
#16NeonDragon9000Posted 1/28/2013 12:01:51 PM
The fact people care how other people choose to play a video game is astounding. If you want to play Casual or Classic, good for you, I don't care. Likewise I couldn't care less if you want to somehow look down on "Casual" players, such as myself.
---
"Microsoft is not a helicopter." ~Gerald Ilukwe
#17WestbrickIIIPosted 1/28/2013 12:08:58 PM
NeonDragon9000 posted...
The fact people care how other people choose to play a video game is astounding. If you want to play Casual or Classic, good for you, I don't care. Likewise I couldn't care less if you want to somehow look down on "Casual" players, such as myself.

It's not about "looking down on" players. It's about how certain options can negatively impact the integrity of the experience. I've already given plenty of examples, but here's another one: imagine if, while playing a horror game, you had the "option" of unlimited ammo, no enemies, and lighting up every dark area, eliminating any of the scares and tension.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#18NewbieN00bPosted 1/28/2013 12:21:55 PM(edited)
WestbrickIII posted...
NeonDragon9000 posted...

It's not about "looking down on" players. It's about how certain options can negatively impact the integrity of the experience. I've already given plenty of examples, but here's another one: imagine if, while playing a horror game, you had the "option" of unlimited ammo, no enemies, and lighting up every dark area, eliminating any of the scares and tension.

I have seen a few games with that, actually. Generally after game completion.

But what you are describing is god mode.

Casual doesn't make characters invincible, give them infinite move, or better starting equipment. >.>

To an extent, I do agree FE is balanced around permadeath, but your analogy is overblown and exaggerated.
---
Give me all teh FE D':
#19NeonDragon9000Posted 1/28/2013 12:16:54 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
NeonDragon9000 posted...

Playing on Casual Mode won't downgrade the "integrity" of the game for me.

And these what-if scenarios are incredibly stupid. Guess what? You had the "option" of unlimited health, unlimited ammo and no monsters in Doom. Some people played with those options on, some people didn't. Didn't stop it from being a fun game either way.
---
"Microsoft is not a helicopter." ~Gerald Ilukwe
#20WestbrickIIIPosted 1/28/2013 12:22:58 PM
NewbieN00b posted...
But what you are describing is god mode.

Casual doesn't make characters invincible, give them infinite move, or better starting equipment. >.>

Of course. It's an extreme example used to prove a point, namely that options for the sake of having options isn't always a good thing for your game to have. People are treating the inclusion of Casual Mode as a self-evident positive because hey, options !!

NeonDragon9000 posted...
Playing on Casual Mode won't downgrade the "integrity" of the game for me.

And these what-if scenarios are incredibly stupid. Guess what? You had the "option" of unlimited health, unlimited ammo and no monsters in Doom. Some people played with those options on, some people didn't. Didn't stop it from being a fun game either way.

The "for you" is irrelevant. If options hurt a game's experience, then it's a problem even if a handful of people happen to like it. Fire Emblem is balanced around units not being able to die, and the bumrush strategies available in Casual Mode break the game in a big way.

As for DooM, although those god mode codes are optional, the game would probably be better off if they were unlockable.
---