what is with all of you trolls hating on casual mode

#111WestbrickIIIPosted 1/28/2013 3:27:31 PM
Here's a Citizen Kane example others might actually be able to agree on!

There are two adjacent screens. One is playing a remastering of the original Citizen Kane, a classic and what happens to be your favorite movie. You consider it a masterpiece of the medium and are very excited to see its re-released -- finally, others will be able to enjoy it for themselves. As it turns out, however, the screen right next door is showing a "revamped" Citizen Kane. This one follows the same general framework of the original, but is very much streamlined -- much of the moral ambiguity and character complexity is stripped, the opening mystery is removed for fear of confusing the audience, and the film overall is truncated in length.

You're upset. You'd rather this revamped release never have happened. You feel it undermines the experience, even though it's true people could go see the original Citizen Kane later in the week. This is Casual in a nutshell.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#112airtamisPosted 1/28/2013 3:34:46 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
As a matter of fact, the existence of Casual does impact my enjoyment to a degree, much like (/broken record) a scare-free Silent Hill 2 would impact enjoyment from SH2 veterans. In both cases, the problem lies in the fact that new players won't be getting the superior experience, which makes me sad and is something I'd rather see not happen.

I can see what point you are trying to make, but I still cannot agree with it. You claim to be caring for the new players, but by doing so you go against their wishes and ultimately it would upset more people than it would help. You say that you want them to have this much vaunted "superior" experience, you have to accept that not everyone wants your experience, at least not at first..
#113illanicePosted 1/28/2013 3:38:01 PM
Thanks to FE:A I've seen people searching for old FEs to play, which is a good thing. These old FEs don't have optional permadeath either, so players who are interested enough to check out the rest of the series will have the same traditional FE experience as the rest of the old fanbase. Therefore I think FE:A is doing a good job as is - still excites the old niche but also pulls in new players, so long as they'll always give options of casual AND classic, and not eliminating the classic mode altogether in future games, which WOULD be compromising the series' own identity, as permadeath is one of the things that define FE.

tl;dr, I think it's not a bad move on their part to have both casual and classic. Look at how many "I suck at SRPG, should I get this game" threads. You bet many of these potential players, who probably are not that bad at strategy but just doubtful, will be turned away if permadeath is not optional.
#114WestbrickIIIPosted 1/28/2013 3:43:49 PM
airtamis posted...
You claim to be caring for the new players, but by doing so you go against their wishes and ultimately it would upset more people than it would help. You say that you want them to have this much vaunted "superior" experience, you have to accept that not everyone wants your experience, at least not at first..

"People don't want to try out permadeath not because they're mentally deficient, but because they don't like the thought of having character death be a huge factor in the game. To those people, I would say: Take your medicine. Whether you realize it or not, it makes the game far better."

This is the one thing I've said in the topic that's been genuinely elitist, and I stand by it. Considering that I myself was once a newbie who was frustrated with the difficulties of permadeath, and considering that I've met several people like myself, my experience tells me that most (not all, but most) will end up appreciating the game more without the option for Casual.

Yes, this would marginalize a select few who want an easy-breezy experience. This is why I love my Silent Hill 2 example, since it's such a beloved, classic, and all-around great game, but *not* for everyone. To those saying "Who cares if Casual is in?", I just point to SH2 and say: Who cares if a small group of people don't like permadeath? Why should the wants of a select few newbies compel the creators to add a new mode that will undermine the experience for so many? Yes, this is "elitist" in a sense, as it buys into the crazy notion that options for options' sake isn't always a good thing. Look to that Citizen Kane example for a non-gaming illustration of what I mean.

Again, though: it's not a major blemish. Just a blemish.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#115Col_MobiusPosted 1/28/2013 3:43:52 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
Stop. This has been an extremely reasonable and interesting discussion before people like yourself, who are sensationalist and lack reading comprehension, decided to strawman everything that was being said. Please go find something more productive to do than misrepresenting arguments and derailing conversations.

Man, you are such a thoroughly objectionable human being that I absolutely cannot wait to get this game, play it on Normal Casual, and post tons of screenshots here of me doing completely stupid consequence-free stuff. Just breaking your little nerd-raging heart is all the reward I need.
#116Col_MobiusPosted 1/28/2013 3:45:51 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
Yes, this is "elitist" in a sense, as it buys into the crazy notion that options for options' sake isn't always a good thing.

I hope this game sells a billion copies and every single other Fire Emblem game for the rest of history is exactly like it.
#117WestbrickIIIPosted 1/28/2013 3:48:30 PM
Col_Mobius posted...
Man, you are such a thoroughly objectionable human being

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

that I absolutely cannot wait to get this game, play it on Normal Casual, and post tons of screenshots here of me doing completely stupid consequence-free stuff.>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Just breaking your little nerd-raging heart is all the reward I need.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

So we've got a) completely missing the point, b) blowing up a simple, localized discussion about one feature of a game into a grand, dramatic statement about the game's overall quality (Spoilers: it's my second-favorite Fire Emblem), and c) name calling in substitute of basic brain functioning, which you questionably possess.

I'd mark you, but I feel your posts are more humiliating for you than anything I could do.
---
#118Col_MobiusPosted 1/28/2013 3:50:02 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
I'd mark you, but I feel your posts are more humiliating for you than anything I could do.

It just wouldn't be a day on a GameFAQs message board without someone being arrogant and awful.
#119AceAwesome96Posted 1/28/2013 3:50:30 PM
I won't use Casual, but if anyone does, that's their choice.
My brothers and friend would use Casual, so I have no problem.
---
You can't hurt a hater, emotionally or mentally.
They have a level infinity Ignorance Shield.
#120el_pablo65Posted 1/28/2013 3:50:39 PM
Stefan1277 posted...
just send everyone in. As long as one survives it's all fine, right? well, that's pointless.

No, that's Disgaea.

(lol, from a huge Disgaea fan)
---
super.....human....androids