what is with all of you trolls hating on casual mode

#151WestbrickIIIPosted 1/28/2013 4:36:29 PM
People can consider positions they don't agree with for the purposes of discussion. I'd be totally down with talking about potential merits of Casual that I haven't considered / heard from others yet, but... that would probably be best in a more civil, less childish environment.

The short of the long here: those who dislike Casual feel it will lessen the experience for newcomers in some pretty big ways. Those in favor of Casual prefer the options it gives to new players and how it will attract more fans who are intimidated by Classic's difficulty. It's just a matter of where your values and preferences lie -- neither side is crazy.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#152Lylat_CruiserPosted 1/28/2013 4:46:08 PM
Maaaan @#$% your breakfast!
---
The only thing that stops a bad guy with an axe is a good guy with a sword!
#153NovaWingz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2013 4:49:49 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
People can consider positions they don't agree with for the purposes of discussion. I'd be totally down with talking about potential merits of Casual that I haven't considered / heard from others yet, but... that would probably be best in a more civil, less childish environment.

The short of the long here: those who dislike Casual feel it will lessen the experience for newcomers in some pretty big ways. Those in favor of Casual prefer the options it gives to new players and how it will attract more fans who are intimidated by Classic's difficulty. It's just a matter of where your values and preferences lie -- neither side is crazy.

finally the perfect two sided post i think this topic is done
---
it's time to end this prepare to die SAVAGE WOLF FURY,im not done with you yet take this BURNING RAGNAROK, heh heh heh you thought this was over ARS ARCANUM
#154TexasKyouPosted 1/28/2013 4:50:11 PM
I fully intend to go Lunatic/Casual on my first file. Mostly because I just want to unlock Lunatic+ quickly, as well as just enjoy the story and get used to the maps/reinforcements for when I do my serious playthrough on Lunatic+
#155airtamisPosted 1/28/2013 4:51:38 PM
Lylat_Cruiser posted...
Maaaan @#$% your breakfast!

Thank you for adding so much to this conversation twice now. You are truly a boon to mankind.
#156RougefanPosted 1/28/2013 5:00:06 PM
I like it. I had a lot of trouble with Rekka no Ken because of the permadeaths. I'm pretty sure I got to like, the final chapter of Eliwood's story with him, Hector, Lyn, Sierra, Athos, Nino, Jafar, Canas, Pent, Louise, Dorcas, and maybe like 1 or 2 other units. As you can imagine, I died quickly. Never stood a chance against Ursula, Brendan, and the other Black Fangs all on the same map. Kicking myself to this day I never finished the game.

So yeah...I like this option.
---
For the night is dark and full of terrors.......
#157nflchampPosted 1/28/2013 6:25:52 PM
At the very least I think the weight of decisions is reduced by casual mode. It's fine for an introduction to the series I guess, but I can't believe you can truly discuss gameplay mechanics based off casual because of the lack of weight from decisions. Sure, you know what supports do, but do you truly know what supports can do? You know what Pair-up does, but do you truly know what Pair-up can do? I'd argue you probably don't if you play casual. No matter what, death isn't as big of a deal in casual. You can get away with not really knowing the intricacies of mechanics so you probably won't learn them.

I feel it's a stark difference from different difficulty levels. Sure, on Normal you might not need to learn everything about the mechanics of the game, but you'll surely pick some things up as you go along. On Hard you'll need to understand more and on Lunatic even more if you want to get your team through the game.

With Casual I don't feel that's there. When a character dies I don't have to revamp my team or reset, so why would I go looking for a mechanic to prevent the death in the first place? Take people complaining that Lunatic is terrible in the demo just because of criticals. Know why they're complaining? Because they don't understand the mechanics that can be used to prevent them. On Casual I might not need to learn the mechanic to prevent them. Just adjust my strategy so that the non-important characters to the story eat the critical and the story-important ones don't to avoid the game over.

On that note, when a tier list is made (and I'm sure one will be made, even if only over at SF), it'll be Classic Lunatic for exactly these reasons. Beating the game and beating it well require full understanding of the mechanics and, by extension, what the characters can do.
#158MunchkinatorPosted 1/29/2013 6:23:18 AM
Games evolve. Yes, a large part of FE for many of its games has been permadeath - but there have been FE games that allowed you to rez people, and let's be honest here a lot of us just reset the chapter and played through again to make sure no one ever died anyways. Casual is for people who care about character death and don't feel like restarting the chapter - though they might still want to; no more XP that battle can be annoying if you were trying to train that specific unit - and people who want a more classic experience can play, well, Classic.

In the end, Awakening gives us options. That's all. It doesn't change the fundamental nature of Fire Emblem, it didn't turn it into a reality show or kooky cooking game, it's just Fire Emblem evolved with some new options. If you don't like Casual, that's nice, play Classic. If you don't like Classic, that's nice, play Casual. Just don't belittle the other mode or insult people who like it; their playthrough, their copy of the game, they can do whatever the hell they want with it.
---
Another day, another unsuccessful genetic abomination!
#159mjfaqsPosted 1/29/2013 6:32:27 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#160mjfaqsPosted 1/29/2013 6:37:04 AM
"that would probably be best in a more civil, less childish environment." Says the poster who acts like a child when factually corrected that their opinions cannot magically turn into facts by adding "actually" to them.