what is with all of you trolls hating on casual mode

#21NeonDragon9000Posted 1/28/2013 12:29:13 PM
If Casual Mode breaks the game so much (according to you), then just don't use it. How on Earth is that such a challenge? Don't use it, don't speak of it, it won't bother you. Likewise, if others do want to use it, for whatever reason, so be it. It's not harming anything.
---
"Microsoft is not a helicopter." ~Gerald Ilukwe
#22WestbrickIIIPosted 1/28/2013 12:31:48 PM
Didn't I already explain this? Having an option to take the scare out of a horror game, even if optional, tempts the player into ruining a key part of the experience. Likewise, having an option to take the strategy out of a strategy game does the same.

You don't have to agree. I'm simply explaining the mindset of people (like myself) who'd prefer for Casual Mode not to have been included. I'd much rather see newcomers experience the game as it was meant to be played.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#23SekusenPosted 1/28/2013 12:35:08 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
Didn't I already explain this? Having an option to take the scare out of a horror game, even if optional, tempts the player into ruining a key part of the experience. Likewise, having an option to take the strategy out of a strategy game does the same.

You don't have to agree. I'm simply explaining the mindset of people (like myself) who'd prefer for Casual Mode not to have been included. I'd much rather see newcomers experience the game as it was meant to be played.

I have to ask, concerning your stance on casual;

Do you play Classic mode without resetting when you lose a unit? Well, barring your Lord occasionally. You have to reset if you lose your lord.
---
Even so I will... I will believe! I will believe in the me, that believes in us, humans and the future! The drill is my soul!
#24KeyToSuccessPosted 1/28/2013 12:35:59 PM
I honestly don't see the problem.

I am sure the devs didn't intend for me to use math skill and critical quick to utterly break final fantasy tactics. That didn't stop me from doing it though.
---
This is what RPG's are about! Killing people and taking their cool stuff!
#25WestbrickIIIPosted 1/28/2013 12:41:44 PM
Sekusen posted...
I have to ask, concerning your stance on casual;

Do you play Classic mode without resetting when you lose a unit? Well, barring your Lord occasionally. You have to reset if you lose your lord.

In almost all cases, the answer is "Yes." Losing a unit means you've made a tactical error along the way or have been victim to some very unfortunate luck, but that is the way of war. Pressing on emphasizes the weight of your decisions and makes the lives of your remaining characters all the more precious. I'm in the minority here, since most everyone restarts even when the least relevant character is offed, but it makes the game much more enjoyable and intense -- the creators of FE themselves have even stated that this was how the game was originally intended to be played.

If I'm playing for rankings, if a lord dies, or occasionally a very important unit of mine dies, then I'll reset.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#26Taro_TanakaPosted 1/28/2013 12:44:31 PM
The entire premise of Fire Emblem is that if your unit dies then it's permanently gone. Without permadeath the game becomes mindnumbingly easy.

That is not to say that I don't support it if you are new to the series, but I won't be using it...
---
- Taro Tanaka signing out
Black 2 FC: 4170-2789-5384
#27WestbrickIIIPosted 1/28/2013 12:45:44 PM
Worth adding that even if you do reset with every character death, that's still much more in line with the design of the game than Causal Mode. If you reset, you're still treating character death as significant.
---
#28SekusenPosted 1/28/2013 12:49:34 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
Worth adding that even if you do reset with every character death, that's still much more in line with the design of the game than Causal Mode. If you reset, you're still treating character death as significant.

I disagree, and find it just as Casual as playing Casual mode. But I guess I can't convince you of this anyway.
---
Even so I will... I will believe! I will believe in the me, that believes in us, humans and the future! The drill is my soul!
#29WestbrickIIIPosted 1/28/2013 12:50:59 PM
Sekusen posted...
WestbrickIII posted...

I disagree, and find it just as Casual as playing Casual mode. But I guess I can't convince you of this anyway.

You can convince me of it if you can provide a good argument.

Classic w/restarts -> Character dies, player wants to preserve that character, resets. Importance of unit death preserved.
Casual -> Character dies, death is irrelevant, player continues on and gets the character back anyway. Importance of unit death lost.
---
#30NeonDragon9000Posted 1/28/2013 12:53:49 PM
WestbrickIII posted...

This is completely fair, but there is another mindset of people (like myself) who appreciate that there are options to allow for playing the game in other ways. Maybe they "violate" the "spirit" of the game, so be it. I might play Casual Mode, then decide I want to try Lunatic Mode with Classic gameplay. I have that option, and that's a good thing.
---
"Microsoft is not a helicopter." ~Gerald Ilukwe