what is with all of you trolls hating on casual mode

#31BMSiriusPosted 1/28/2013 1:55:30 PM(edited)
WestbrickIII posted...
Sekusen posted...
WestbrickIII posted...
Worth adding that even if you do reset with every character death, that's still much more in line with the design of the game than Causal Mode. If you reset, you're still treating character death as significant.

I disagree, and find it just as Casual as playing Casual mode. But I guess I can't convince you of this anyway.

You can convince me of it if you can provide a good argument.

Classic w/restarts -> Character dies, player wants to preserve that character, resets. Importance of unit death preserved.
Casual -> Character dies, death is irrelevant, player continues on and gets the character back anyway. Importance of unit death lost.

I'm not gonna weigh in on this whole "Casual mode shouldn't exist" thing (my sig says enough about that), but regarding resetting kills vs. Casual mode... Westbrick's point seems like common sense to me, I don't see how anybody can disagree. Resetting unit kills results in the player trying to find a STRATEGY to win the battle without any deaths. If they fail, they have to start over; it takes time and thought. It also encourages caring about the units. On the other hand, if a unit dies and you keep going and win the battle anyway, the strategy is gone.
---
"The person who says that the only way to please them is to restrict options for others is, if you ask me, the one who deserves it least." - D. Gaider
#32NeonDragon9000Posted 1/28/2013 2:02:34 PM(edited)
And again, why are people so worked up over what the developers intended? Nintendo didn't intend for people to "snake" in Mario Kart DS, yet it happened anyway. I'm sure Nintendo didn't intend for people to develop programs like Pokesav, but they happened anyway.

There really is a lot of elitism here. You can play the game anyway you choose, I have to say it really annoys me when people say "so and so is how the game was meant to be played." That's the way you choose to play, or maybe most people choose to play, but that doesn't make it right or wrong.
---
"Microsoft is not a helicopter." ~Gerald Ilukwe
#33SekusenPosted 1/28/2013 1:59:12 PM(edited)
WestbrickIII posted...
Sekusen posted...
WestbrickIII posted...
Worth adding that even if you do reset with every character death, that's still much more in line with the design of the game than Causal Mode. If you reset, you're still treating character death as significant.

I disagree, and find it just as Casual as playing Casual mode. But I guess I can't convince you of this anyway.

You can convince me of it if you can provide a good argument.

Classic w/restarts -> Character dies, player wants to preserve that character, resets. Importance of unit death preserved.
Casual -> Character dies, death is irrelevant, player continues on and gets the character back anyway. Importance of unit death lost.

If you reset, the chance(and therefore the importance) of death is, for all intents and purposes, still lost. You still get the character back, just that you have to go to the effort of getting back to where you were before, instead of just getting them back next chapter. Which is hardly punishment. And even in Casual mode, you can still learn what you did wrong when you lose a unit. Unless you have a learning disability or something.

Also, the existence of Casual does not mean everyone will play Casual and just throw their units at the bad guys with no concern for actually beating them all without loss. To assume people would do that, is like assuming just because gay marriage were to become an option, everyone would turn gay and get married.
---
Even so I will... I will believe! I will believe in the me, that believes in us, humans and the future! The drill is my soul!
#34dark-world-q8Posted 1/28/2013 2:02:14 PM
NovaWingz posted...
you dont have to use it so stop saying crap like "i wish this mode wasnt in the game" i mean come on is it being a option going to effect at all no, so just shut up and think about all of the new people to the series

i agree, it's like saying someone saying you shouldn't put an easy mode for some game.

i think putting both a classic and casual mode is good for the series, i don't plan on ever playing casual but this way they will attract both fans and newcomers to the series and hopefully it will help sales.
#35LeBurns63Posted 1/28/2013 2:09:31 PM
Interesting posts.

The first FE I played was for the GBA and was the one with the Lyn in it. The one thing about that game I didn't like was that there was no place to really grind to improve your characters and the permi-death. I just didn't like it. I beat the game but by the end had lost several characters.

The next I played was Sacred Stones which fixed both of these problems I had. I loved it.

To be honest I would not be getting Awakening if the permi-death was not avoidable. I do agree that having the hero sit out a battle or two due to wounds would make sense, but it is what it is.

I am glad though that people what want permi-death can have it. It's like we both win right?
---
I'm glad your opinion differs from mine. What a boring place this world would be if it didn't.
#36NeonDragon9000Posted 1/28/2013 2:12:40 PM
Burhenn63 posted...
Interesting posts.

The first FE I played was for the GBA and was the one with the Lyn in it. The one thing about that game I didn't like was that there was no place to really grind to improve your characters and the permi-death. I just didn't like it. I beat the game but by the end had lost several characters.

The next I played was Sacred Stones which fixed both of these problems I had. I loved it.

To be honest I would not be getting Awakening if the permi-death was not avoidable. I do agree that having the hero sit out a battle or two due to wounds would make sense, but it is what it is.

I am glad though that people what want permi-death can have it. It's like we both win right?

This is exactly the point I was trying to get across. Different players play the game in different ways, and it really annoys me when people act elitist and start talking about how there is only "one way" to play the game and that having OPTIONS somehow "violate the integrity" of the game.

I really don't see what the issue is at all: you like Classic mode, you've got it. You don't like Classic mode, you've got Casual mode. You have different difficulty levels. Everyone wins.
---
"Microsoft is not a helicopter." ~Gerald Ilukwe
#37impossible2beatPosted 1/28/2013 2:13:02 PM
lurking222 posted...
Casual mode is completely contrary to the way FE is supposed to be played. Its really just a compromise to get new players to buy the game. With that said it doesn't really bother me, bands, tv shows and video games all need to appeal to the masses in order to continue to exist for hardcore fans.

wtf its optional, dont be so pretentious
---
signature
#38WestbrickIIIPosted 1/28/2013 2:16:20 PM
NeonDragon9000 posted...
And again, why are people so worked up over what the developers intended? Nintendo didn't intend for people to "snake" in Mario Kart DS, yet it happened anyway. I'm sure Nintendo didn't intend for people to develop programs like Pokesav, but they happened anyway.

There really is a lot of elitism here.

1. This brings up an interesting discussion about intention. Most competitive MKDS players will tell you that snaking brought an element of skill into an otherwise luck-heavy affair, and was a good (if unintentional) inclusion as a result. Fire Emblem Casual Mode, however, explicitly goes against the build / strategy of the game simply to appease those looking for an easier experience.

2. I think we've both been pretty reasonable in this discussion, so throwing around words like "elitist" is unnecessary.

Sekusen posted...
If you reset, the chance(and therefore the importance) of death is, for all intents and purposes, still lost. .

Bolding something doesn't make it any more salient. If you always reset, then characters will never die by the end of the game... but it does require you to develop a strategy to keep those units alive in the first place. That's preserving the strategic spirit of the game rather than encouraging bumrushing.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#39lurking222Posted 1/28/2013 2:18:02 PM
impossible2beat posted...
lurking222 posted...
Casual mode is completely contrary to the way FE is supposed to be played. Its really just a compromise to get new players to buy the game. With that said it doesn't really bother me, bands, tv shows and video games all need to appeal to the masses in order to continue to exist for hardcore fans.

wtf its optional, dont be so pretentious

Its not pretentious its reality. Like I said I don't care that the option is there but the reason it exists is to cater to the mainstream not the hardcore fans.
#40LeBurns63Posted 1/28/2013 2:19:11 PM
I do see the point some have made about playing on Casual can make you play more reckless. Knowing someone won't really DIE, I might be tempted to do a sacrifice move to weaken an enemy unit so that another can kill it. This is something I would never consider if there was permi-death. So yeah, I get that point. I also read though that others just reload the battle when they lose someone ... not sure how that isn't just another way of avoiding permi-death though.

If the game have enough replay value I am sure I will try it both ways.
---
I'm glad your opinion differs from mine. What a boring place this world would be if it didn't.