what is with all of you trolls hating on casual mode

#41NeonDragon9000Posted 1/28/2013 2:20:12 PM
But, again, I still fail to see what the issue is. So what if Casual Mode appeals to those looking for an easier experience? Maybe some found FE7 or any other game in the series hard for them. They want an easier experience, they've got it. Isn't it entirely possible they might go through Normal-Casual, then decide they want to try a harder playthrough? They might attempt Normal-Classic after that, or something harder. The "easier experience" option exists so those people who want it will enjoy the game.

It doesn't affect you or how you play, so why is it such a big deal what options others use to play the game?
---
"Microsoft is not a helicopter." ~Gerald Ilukwe
#42Hirokey123Posted 1/28/2013 2:24:50 PM
Having to restart a fight from the beginning is a very large punishment actually. Especially late game fights which usually can take a long time. It does suck when you have to restart and it's the threat of restarting the entire fight from the beginning that is arguably the driving factor behind what makes perma-death threatening.

Because when a unit dies you're forced with choice, restart the entire fight and get the unit back or decide to move on without that unit losing perhaps a vital pawn and changing your whole strategy from then on.

I'm not a fan of perma-death but I can very easily see how crucial it is to the series as a whole. The game series is designed around it and the reward and experience comes from planning out a strategy correctly to win fights without losing even one unit.

I think the real problem is this will be the first FE game for many. So with that in mind offering a casual mode creates a temptation for new players. And if they give into that temptation then they get cheated out of a real FE experience.

Of course people can play however they want, I'm not going to tell people how to play. But I do admit having an open dislike for casual mode even if I hate perma-death. I think honestly it would have been better to make casual mode an unlockable that can be toggled on and off. That way players would start out experiencing the classic and then if it becomes to much for them they can simply turn casual mode on without having to restart their game. This would let them pick and choose which battles they want perma-death on, a particularly hard fight to win period may become a bit more bearable if units don't die permanently. But at the same time they might feel casual is to easy and simply turn it off again. Eitherway the ability to unlock it as a toggle would at the very least prevent players from HAVING to play Casual or HAVING to play Classic.

I mean plenty of people like to change their mind, they might want to start out easy with casual and switch to classic once they get comfortable with the game. Yet because of the setup they are stuck unless they want to start the whole game over, and i think that's the real problem with the current casual/classic setup.

Just my thoughts.
---
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me
#43WestbrickIIIPosted 1/28/2013 2:25:55 PM
NeonDragon9000 posted...
But, again, I still fail to see what the issue is. So what if Casual Mode appeals to those looking for a less scary experience? Maybe some found Silent Hill 2 or any other game in the series scary for them. They want a tamer experience, they've got it.

It doesn't affect you or how you play, so why is it such a big deal what options others use to play the game?

You can pick-and-mix with any genre that doesn't spread its legs to attract a general audience. I'll be honest -- I don't consider Casual Mode to be a huge deal, but it does detract from the experience, an experience I'd much rather newcomers face in full.

Think of it this way: would Silent Hill 2 (or any horror game of your choosing) lose some of its luster by offering newbie-friendly modes? Wouldn't they get the most out of the experience by playing the game as intended? And if that's so, then what makes this case different from Awakening's?
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#44SekusenPosted 1/28/2013 2:26:03 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
Sekusen posted...
If you reset, the chance(and therefore the importance) of death is, for all intents and purposes, still lost. .

Bolding something doesn't make it any more salient. If you always reset, then characters will never die by the end of the game... but it does require you to develop a strategy to keep those units alive in the first place. That's preserving the strategic spirit of the game rather than encouraging bumrushing.

Ah, sorry. I didn't mean it to try and make it more true or anything. Just more of a TL;DR read this part at least.

I just don't think strategy and losing units necessarily go hand-in-hand. And as someone who has played since Blazing Sword, at least, I know that a real strategist will pick the most effective method of winning(and in FE, keeping your guys alive); that's picking Casual mode from the start. So for that reason, and mostly that I just don't want to waste my time resetting, I'll be playing on Casual.

Don't get me wrong though. I will still be doing my best to strategy a win otherwise. Won't be putting my waifu Cordelia into a horde of archers(Unless she has the Iote's Shield skill, or is paired up with me(and I kind of think Pair Up is imbalanced, but that's another thing)).

And then when I want to try a "Nuzlocke" run of FE, and play it as originally intended, I will start a Classic run. Probably on Hard, Normal in the demo is easy...

That, or if FE14 does have that "Hardcore" mode...
---
Even so I will... I will believe! I will believe in the me, that believes in us, humans and the future! The drill is my soul!
#45impossible2beatPosted 1/28/2013 2:27:15 PM
lurking222 posted...
impossible2beat posted...
lurking222 posted...
Casual mode is completely contrary to the way FE is supposed to be played. Its really just a compromise to get new players to buy the game. With that said it doesn't really bother me, bands, tv shows and video games all need to appeal to the masses in order to continue to exist for hardcore fans.

wtf its optional, dont be so pretentious

Its not pretentious its reality. Like I said I don't care that the option is there but the reason it exists is to cater to the mainstream not the hardcore fans.

no its not, your mode is still in there, i love fire emblem I want that mode, if hardcore fan means you dont want other modes in your game to make other players happy, thats pretentious
---
signature
#46NeonDragon9000Posted 1/28/2013 2:28:19 PM
That's another good point, Sekusen. I don't understand this assumption that people who play Casual are just gonna "meat-shield" every unit. I know I won't. I will play just like I played FE7/FE8 and the other titles. I'm playing Casual mainly because, well... it's casual. I don't want to have my units killed, but I also really don't like having to restart a long battle just because I made one mistake.

That probably doesn't make me very good at the game or "hardcore," but I couldn't care less. Casual is the way I choose to play the game.
---
"Microsoft is not a helicopter." ~Gerald Ilukwe
#47Col_MobiusPosted 1/28/2013 2:28:58 PM
impossible2beat posted...
no its not, your mode is still in there, i love fire emblem I want that mode, if hardcore fan means you dont want other modes in your game to make other players happy, thats pretentious

It's not pretentious; it's entitled.
#48WestbrickIIIPosted 1/28/2013 2:31:20 PM
Sekusen posted...
I just don't think strategy and losing units necessarily go hand-in-hand. And as someone who has played since Blazing Sword, at least, I know that a real strategist will pick the most effective method of winning(and in FE, keeping your guys alive); that's picking Casual mode from the start. So for that reason, and mostly that I just don't want to waste my time resetting, I'll be playing on Casual.

Wow, this is assuming a lot of even an experienced player, much less a first-timer. You're assuming that a) everyone is going to be a master strategist, b) keeping units alive is simple strategically, and c) losing units isn't a matter of poor strategy. Point C is partly true due to critical hits, but that's the exception rather than the rule. Otherwise, I'd call all of these points false.

If, as a player, you go about a map a certain way and end up putting frail units in harm's sight, you'll reset and amend your strategy. Pretty simple. That's different from Casual, where you put units in harm's way, they die, and nothing comes from it. You simply press on consequence-free.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#49White_Knight13Posted 1/28/2013 2:31:46 PM
With casual mode and battle saves can you not just save when you know a unit is going to level and repeat until they get the stats you want?
#50SekusenPosted 1/28/2013 2:36:16 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
That's different from Casual, where you put units in harm's way, they die, and nothing comes from it. You simply press on consequence-free.

That's not entirely true. It's more than nothing. You do lose that unit for the map; and if that happens 8 times in a map, you're down to your needed units, in Awakening's case, the Lord and Avatar. And neither might be healers. And they might only have Vulneraries. And at 2 uses and 1 use. And there's still 30 enemy troops. And they die because they can't last.

It's possible.

Of course I'm going to assume the best of myself and anyone else playing FE for anything other than their first time. Better than assuming everyone sucks at it, right?
---
Even so I will... I will believe! I will believe in the me, that believes in us, humans and the future! The drill is my soul!