what is with all of you trolls hating on casual mode

#61NeonDragon9000Posted 1/28/2013 2:46:07 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
NeonDragon9000 posted...
Which was also just a video game. You can play a video game anyway you want. No harm comes from that.

On the contrary, I'd say an overwhelming number of Silent Hill 2 fans would be strongly opposed. Why? For the same reason I'm giving for Casual Mode in Awakening -- it negatively impacts the experience. SH2 is built around horror; Awakening, in large part, is built around permadeath, which is also true of the series at large.

This is a good point, I agree with it, but again, it's not like these are games you only play once. People who are unfamiliar with the game might choose to do Normal-Casual, then decide they want to try, say, Hard-Classic. Casual mode warms them into how the game works, giving them more confidence to try a different configuration that doesn't "negatively impact the experience."

I just don't see why people care so much how others play the game.
---
"Microsoft is not a helicopter." ~Gerald Ilukwe
#62WestbrickIIIPosted 1/28/2013 2:47:07 PM
Sekusen posted...
But is it really less "casual" to reset in classic, than to just play Casual mode.

Depends on what you mean by "casual," but... yes. In Classic, fallen units don't return. That means you either move on without them, or restart the map and prepare a better strategy. In Casual, fallen units do return, so unless you lose 90% of your army and are somehow unable to complete the map, better strategizing isn't a concern.

Not sure how much more simply I can explain this.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#63BMSiriusPosted 1/28/2013 2:47:49 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
Sekusen posted...
But is it really less "casual" to reset in classic, than to just play Casual mode.

Depends on what you mean by "casual," but... yes. In Classic, fallen units don't return. That means you either move on without them, or restart the map and prepare a better strategy. In Casual, fallen units do return, so unless you lose 90% of your army and are somehow unable to complete the map, better strategizing isn't a concern.

I also don't see how hard this is to understand. The "Casual is the same as Classic w/resets" argument makes no sense to me.
---
"The person who says that the only way to please them is to restrict options for others is, if you ask me, the one who deserves it least." - D. Gaider
#64NeonDragon9000Posted 1/28/2013 2:48:54 PM
The fact there are 60+ posts in this topic about people arguing over how other people choose to play a video game is what I don't understand.
---
"Microsoft is not a helicopter." ~Gerald Ilukwe
#65Darq_VPosted 1/28/2013 2:49:47 PM
Endgame posted...
Casual mode is completely contrary to the way FE is supposed to be played.

so is using the "Jeigan" to solo the game, but that didn't stop SS and PoR (not counting BK and Ashnard), now did it?

face it, EVERYTHING that's happened since SS is contrary to the way FE is meant to be played
tv shows and video games all need to appeal to the masses in order to continue to exist for hardcore fans.

yeah, but not by ****ing all over the hardcore fans who made the franchise last that long to begin with

eh, it's not exclusive to Fire Emblem though, Nintendo is ****ing all over everyone who's ever supported them (Mario's been reduced to quick cash in rehashes, Zelda's been reduced to a guinea pig for gimmick based control schemes, etc.) and unfortunately, most of the fanbase is just eating it up.....

YES, THE HATRED IS SPILLING OUT ONTO OTHER GAMES!!
#66zelosjrPosted 1/28/2013 2:49:55 PM
NeonDragon9000 posted...
WestbrickIII posted...
NeonDragon9000 posted...
Which was also just a video game. You can play a video game anyway you want. No harm comes from that.

On the contrary, I'd say an overwhelming number of Silent Hill 2 fans would be strongly opposed. Why? For the same reason I'm giving for Casual Mode in Awakening -- it negatively impacts the experience. SH2 is built around horror; Awakening, in large part, is built around permadeath, which is also true of the series at large.

This is a good point, I agree with it, but again, it's not like these are games you only play once. People who are unfamiliar with the game might choose to do Normal-Casual, then decide they want to try, say, Hard-Classic. Casual mode warms them into how the game works, giving them more confidence to try a different configuration that doesn't "negatively impact the experience."

I don't see how playing casual teaches you the game any better than the very effective tutorials that fire emblem has had since 7.
#67la_mayonesaPosted 1/28/2013 2:51:27 PM
Silent Hill 2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I agree that putting in options like that would greatly diminish the experience of playing it, but as long as the default was for them to be off I really wouldn't care if they were in and others chose to play that way.
---
there is no excuse to show this episode 3 times in one week - Canti
So if adult swim were a gamefacks poster it would make the same topics too many times?-Zora
#68SekusenPosted 1/28/2013 2:53:59 PM
WestbrickIII posted...

Well, there's little debate on how playing without resetting at all on Classic is the "proper and intended" way to play, is there? We can agree that's the average way, at least until New Mystery of the Emblem rolled around. Which had Casual. Odd that Japan didn't hate that factor so much that it wasn't even thought for in Awakening. It stayed, which at least means Japan doesn't hate the idea.

And by "casual" I just mean "not hardcore". I suppose the typical definition used by gaming journalism today. And what IntSys is implying you are when you pick their Casual mode, maybe.

Unless someone does want to argue that picking Casual at the beginning is actually the most effective strategy at keeping your guys alive and is just plain better than trying to keep them alive on Classic.
---
Even so I will... I will believe! I will believe in the me, that believes in us, humans and the future! The drill is my soul!
#69WestbrickIIIPosted 1/28/2013 2:54:23 PM
NeonDragon9000 posted...
This is a good point, I agree with it, but again, it's not like these are games you only play once. People who are unfamiliar with Silent Hill 2 might choose to do Normal-Casual, then decide they want to try, say, Hard-Classic. Casual mode warms them into how the game works, giving them more confidence to try a different configuration that doesn't "negatively impact the experience."

Sorry if I'm becoming repetitive / obtuse, but I can play the same card here. Why would SH2 fans be so opposed to a game having an option for new players? Because that option ruins the experience. Yes, you could argue that new players will try the usual mode on subsequent playthroughs, but by that point, the game's already been completed. The initial thrill of the story is gone. Attachment to characters isn't as strong as it was when you first met them, and the tension isn't as high. That's part of the beauty of permadeath: it gives battles gravity. When characters are as well-developed as they are in Fire Emblem, this gravity becomes even stronger.

If you really want Casual, I'll echo a previous poster and have it be an unlockable after you complete the game once. Just so long as the experience is preserved for first-timers.

Maybe you just don't see games the same way I do. If games are just quick entertainment, then give players all the modes they could want -- DooM's philosophy, in other words. But if games are experiences, something bordering on art, then maligning the original image just to appeal to a wider audience is as cheap as stuffing Citizen Kane with half-naked ladies. Sure, you don't have to look at them, but it ruins the integrity of the experience.

And yes, I am comparing Fire Emblem to Citizen Kane.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#70WestbrickIIIPosted 1/28/2013 2:56:37 PM
Sekusen posted...
Well, there's little debate on how playing without resetting at all on Classic is the "proper and intended" way to play, is there?

The designers wanted death to have weight. That's true if you don't reset and press on, and it's also true if you reset a half-hour map just to keep a unit you're fond of alive. It's not true if you don't have to worry about units dying at all, which is the difference between Classic (resets or no resets) and Casual.
---