Never played a Fire Emblem, not sure I understand the game

#1ZeldiasPosted 1/29/2013 4:27:23 PM
Looks cool, and I'll be picking it up, but I wanna know what to expect.

1) Classes learn skills, but I only get to activate the cries/rallies or whatever they're called, right? So...Astra, for example, just has a chance to go off. It's not something that I can use at will.

2) I'm guessing ranged weapons and staves aren't included in the weapons triangle? Or has the concept expanded? I knew of the weapons triangle (it's rock-paper-scissors, right?), but not if it's changed or evolved or anything other than it exists.

3) Are there random battles? Or better yet, repeatable optional battles a la Jean D'arc or Tactics Ogre: LUCT on the PSP? I loathed the random battles in FF:T.

4) Can any character be any class? Like, say I have Kellam (the knight dude with the squinted eyes), could I make him a Mage? I thought the character affected growth rates because of the demo, but does class have an influence, too?

5) Is there a difference between mounted and foot units other than movement? And is there a difference between flying units and grounded units other than movement? Like, are mounted units more vulnerable to spears/flying units more vulnerable to archers?

6) Does weapon skill only allow you to equip better weapons? My assumption is normally that higher skill = higher damage, more hits, and so on. Is there any difference in the weapon skills? Like, do you get a chance to parry with swords or higher crit rate with axes or anything like that?

7) Dunno if y'all will know the answer to this, but I've seen videos where two units seem to be standing in one square. Is that some special command? I thought the Pair Up thing was when you stand adjacent to an allied unit.

8) Are all your units fielded when going into battle? Again, I've never played a Fire Emblem, and I'm mainly used to SRPGs that restrict you to something like five units or something (the only exception being TO: Knight of Lodis).

9) Any interesting/decent Let's Plays of previous FEs y'all know about? I don't really need much humor, but I enjoy hearing the thought process that goes into the battle and gearing the units and stuff.

Sorry. I know that's a metric ton of questions. I've been trying to figure it out through wikis and stuff but it all just left me more confused, lol. Thanks a bunch.
---
Look! The East is burning red!
#2EndgamePosted 1/29/2013 4:40:40 PM
you give a Dark Mage/Sorceror Nosferatu and then you win

that's it
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#3Taro_TanakaPosted 1/29/2013 4:44:17 PM
Endgame posted...
you give a Dark Mage/Sorceror Nosferatu and then you win

that's it

Shut the f*** up endgame! They are new and seriously need to know these answers! I'm sick of your bull s***!
---
- Taro Tanaka signing out
Black 2 FC: 4170-2789-5384
#4UmuruPosted 1/29/2013 4:46:52 PM
Haven't played this one yet, so I'll answer what I can.

2. The magic system is apparently different from the GBA games, if that's where you learned it from.

4. Your avatar and your avatar's children can be any class. Other characters have their main class and two others as choices.

7) There's definitely a command for pair up, but this is one of the new features of Awakening so I can't expand more than that yet.

8) Some guys are going to have to sit on the sidelines.
#5NewbieN00bPosted 1/29/2013 4:48:56 PM(edited)
Gah. :C

1. Yes

2. Bows and staves, no. But ranged swords, axes and lances still apply with the Weapon Triangle. (No magic triangle in this game.)

3. More on the random side. They appear on the map, but you can walk right past them if you like.

4. No, most characters can only reclass to two other 'trees'(The base and two promotions, so if a base class doesn't share a promotion with one of the other base classes a character has about 6 class options.). I'd link you to Serenes, but they're down ATM. The Avatar and DLC can reclass to any normal class, gender permitting. (Non-normal classes are: Dancer, Overlord, (Great)Lord, off the top of my head..

5. There are effective weapons against both. Guys who ride horses are weak to the beastslayer weapon, and Pegasus knights are weak to wind magic and arrows. I know Wyvern Knights are weak to arrows, but not sure about wind.

6. I'm not sure on the exact bonuses, but weapon rank does do things other than let you use more weapons.

7. That is pair up, two units on one square. The tutorial locks it, so if you play the demo on normal be sure to turn tutorials off in the map menu. (called slide guides.) Pair up gives different bonuses. Adjacent units just give support bonuses, while Pair up also gives a class bonus from the secondary character. (Each class gives a different bonus.)

8. There are limits, but they vary by chapter. I think the average is 15.

9.Not really. I know of one, but I can't find it.
---
Give me all teh FE D':
#6MIssDevilingPosted 1/29/2013 4:51:46 PM(edited)
1) Most of them either have an activation chance that's dependent on your stats, or are conditional (e.g. you have to be under a certain amount of HP for it to activate). The only ones you can really use at will are Rallies. So yeah, you're right.

2) Ranged weapons can fall under weapon triangles, like Hand Axes and Javelins, which can be used 2 spaces away if you wanted to. Bows and magic aren't under the weapon triangle, though they have their own benefits depending on what you use.

3) There are randomly generated monster skirmishes you can participate in on the world map, like Sacred Stones. You're not forced into them though.

4) Each character has a set of classes they can change to. It depends on the character though, not stats or anything. It's all arbitrary. The only ones that can change to any class you want are your Avatar, SpotPass, and DLC characters. Those have gender restrictions too.

5) Mounted units are weak against special weapons that have an advantage against them, and the Beast Buster skill learned by Taguels. The latter's really only an issue in StreetPass battles though, I think. Flying units like Wyvern Lords and Pegasus Knights are weak against bows and wind magic.

6) Yeah, there are more advantages depending on the type of weapon you have. Mastering axe can give you more accuracy and a bit of attack, for example. Mastering sword gives you purely more attack. Mastering Lance is a bit of both. Serenes Forest goes into more depth, but it's down at the moment. I'm not confident I remember the exact numbers.

7) Pair up is where two units get to stand on one square. The "main" or "active" unit takes damage and dishes it out like a regular unit, but also gets help from the "support" unit. The support unit is able to boost the main unit's stats and also get a chance to add an attack whenever the main unit attacks (not 100%, but the chance increases when their bond strengthens) at the cost of not being able to directly attack or use skills. It's good when you have really strong enemies that frailer units would be useless against.

The adjacent thing is just two units beside each other that add hit, avoid, critical dodge, and critical. The guy beside the main unit also has a chance of attacking. So, less benefits than if you're paired up, but the two units are separate and can act separately too. Did you play the demo to try it out? It's a bit hard to explain in words.

8) You have a restriction on the number of units you can use in battle.

9) No, sorry.
---
http://keilis.deviantart.com
#7LaoniPosted 1/29/2013 4:50:31 PM
1) Correct

2) Correct

3) Sort of, there's skirmishes on the main map that can be summoned with items, or they appear and disappear over time. You can choose to fight them or you can just run past.

4) No, they have set class sets, except for your Avatar, who can reclass to any available class for his/her gender. Yes, classes do affect growth rates, characters have a personal growht which is added to the class growths to get the growths in entirety for that class

5) Mounted units are weak to Horseslayers and a number of other weapons, flying units are weak to bows and wind magic, and only armoured foot soldiers have a weapon weakness (Not including Beast/Wyrmslayers for your Taguels and Manaketes, who keep their weaknesses due racially being sort of beast/dragon)

6) Weapon skill affects the weapons you can equip, hit rate, and avoid rate, IIRC

7) No, pair up is when you basically fuse two units into one, with the secondary unit giving small stat boosts to the primary unit. Just having adajacent units is Dual Support, IIRC

8) No, in the story, you can only have 16 characters on the field for the last/largest chapter. Sounds big, but remember the game has about 50 unique units.

9)For Awakening LP, can't go past shadowofchaos' LP http://www.youtube.com/user/shadowofchaos725?feature=g-user-u
---
Now I have this image of Sora's heart being a magical hospital. - Hikaru_Irving
#8Vanguard_6575Posted 1/29/2013 4:54:09 PM
By the way, some answers change from game to game:

1. The cry skills are manually activated, while skills like astra activate by a chance
2. Ranged weapons, staves, and magic does not have a triangle. In past games, magic had it's own separate triangle
3. Yes. They are monster battles. Repayable battles only apply to DLC and spotpass chapters
4. All normal characters are limited to three different class branches. All spotpass and DLC characters can reclass into all non-special classes
5. Mounted units can use up remaining movement if their action wasn't an attack. In past games, they could perform this after an attack. There are specific weapons that deal more damage to mounted units, but all fliers are weak to arrows
6. Weapon skill only allows for new weapons, but I believe A rank gives you one additional point of damage
7. This is a command, cannot recall the name. It is similar to rescue in other games, and allows a stat boost and puts both units in the same battle automatically. The disadvantage is this give one less chance to use an item, trade, etc
8. You are allowed to field only a certain number a chapter. It is around 12 or so, but it might be higher depending on the game
9. Fire Emblem is a lesser know series, so just experiment with different commentators.

Hope that helped. If you want to learn more about the Fire Emblem, serenesforest.net is an amazing resource with a dedicated forum to each game in the series. Also, if you want to begin the series, Fire Emblem(The 7th game, or the first in the west) is an amazing game.
#9xLinkkuPosted 1/29/2013 4:57:38 PM
Zeldias posted...
Looks cool, and I'll be picking it up, but I wanna know what to expect.

1) Classes learn skills, but I only get to activate the cries/rallies or whatever they're called, right? So...Astra, for example, just has a chance to go off. It's not something that I can use at will.
Correct
2) I'm guessing ranged weapons and staves aren't included in the weapons triangle? Or has the concept expanded? I knew of the weapons triangle (it's rock-paper-scissors, right?), but not if it's changed or evolved or anything other than it exists.
Not included
3) Are there random battles? Or better yet, repeatable optional battles a la Jean D'arc or Tactics Ogre: LUCT on the PSP? I loathed the random battles in FF:T.
Not entirely sure. I believe so.
4) Can any character be any class? Like, say I have Kellam (the knight dude with the squinted eyes), could I make him a Mage? I thought the character affected growth rates because of the demo, but does class have an influence, too?
No. each character (except your Avatar and his/her children) can choose from 3 (including the starting class) classes. For example, Kellam starts as a Knight (1), then can change into a thief (2) or a priest (3).
5) Is there a difference between mounted and foot units other than movement? And is there a difference between flying units and grounded units other than movement? Like, are mounted units more vulnerable to spears/flying units more vulnerable to archers?
Mounted units like Cavaliers also have a lot of terrain restrictions which can be a big problem in a place with a lot of forest that makes it harder for them to move or a place with mountains which Cavaliers can't travel on, they need to go around.
6) Does weapon skill only allow you to equip better weapons? My assumption is normally that higher skill = higher damage, more hits, and so on. Is there any difference in the weapon skills? Like, do you get a chance to parry with swords or higher crit rate with axes or anything like that?
Only lets you equip better weapons.
7) Dunno if y'all will know the answer to this, but I've seen videos where two units seem to be standing in one square. Is that some special command? I thought the Pair Up thing was when you stand adjacent to an allied unit.
Pair Up is when two units are on one square, almost like the rescue command from previous games. When two units are adjacent to each other, it acts like Pair Up but both units can perform their own actions, The second unit doesn't depend on the other one. Know what I mean?
8) Are all your units fielded when going into battle? Again, I've never played a Fire Emblem, and I'm mainly used to SRPGs that restrict you to something like five units or something (the only exception being TO: Knight of Lodis).
Most chapters have a limit on units in the field, depends on the chapter.
9) Any interesting/decent Let's Plays of previous FEs y'all know about? I don't really need much humor, but I enjoy hearing the thought process that goes into the battle and gearing the units and stuff.
Nope, not off the top of my head. Although... you could just search Youtube. Not that hard...
Sorry. I know that's a metric ton of questions. I've been trying to figure it out through wikis and stuff but it all just left me more confused, lol. Thanks a bunch.

I hope I helped :)
---
Official Fennekin of the Pokemon X/Y boards
3DS FC: Bryan 4296-3998-3033
#10Zeldias(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2013 5:09:29 PM
Awesome, folks, thanks :-). Felt like I had no idea what I was getting into, but now I'm more aware.
---
Look! The East is burning red!