Sell this game to me. (read inside for details)

#1HonzouPosted 1/30/2013 7:54:17 AM
Good day folks. I'm here today to ask you all to "sell"me this game. Since I paid SMT IV and Soul Hackers in full, I've decided to get a game to keep me entertained in the mean time.
After researching, I ended up choosing this game and Monster Hunter 3G (3DS). What can you guys tell me that would sell this game to me? So far the demo shows basic SRPG aspects which I don't mind since simplicity itself is attractive, but what else in terms of gameplay does it offer, and if the story and total game time is long enough to entertain me.

I you are wondering, I'll be also making this thread in the MH board since I wish to hear both sides.

All proper answers will be thank in advance.
---
The All Father has bequeath me the gift of battle. So now I bequeath you my spear through your heart.
The official Eligor of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#2lurking222Posted 1/30/2013 7:57:41 AM
I don't really care if you play this game or not maybe you should read some of the information out there on both instead of leaving it up to a bunch of idiots on gamefaqs?
#3Scout_TaronPosted 1/30/2013 8:00:24 AM
I would honestly just suggest playing the demo, and seeing if it catches your attention. That'll be the best way to tell. Dont worry about content though. Plenty of it
#4klecserPosted 1/30/2013 8:02:56 AM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/643003-fire-emblem-awakening/65248794

1. Read this.

2. Make a decision on your own.

3. Profit.
#5WestbrickIIIPosted 1/30/2013 8:09:40 AM
There's just so much to love about Awakening, and many people who've played it early consider it far and away the best in the series. Just a few reasons why it's worth your penny:

Mechanics:
Fire Emblem has never been about bogging the player down with convoluted stats, variable damage, confusing turn order, terrain height, or any other extraneous components; instead, the mechanics are simple while still providing room for an often-brutal challenge. As a result, the game is easy to pick up and play, and battles move along quickly. It's the perfect blend of accessibility and depth.

Graphics:
Gorgeous. Admittedly, some fans aren't too fond of the art style, but the visuals themselves are terrific. There are a handful of beautifully-drawn animated scenes, the map sprites are bright and crisp, and the 3D models work well. The game also utilizes the 3D surprising well for a strategy game, with fortresses and forests popping out of your screen as well as a variety of weather / other effects (embers from a burning forest, birds in the wind, snow, etc.). Strategy games are never graphical powerhouses, but this one looks all-around excellent.

Music:
To this day, I can't get over how superb the music is. One of the best soundtracks in any video game, and I certainly don't say that lightly. Words can't convey this alone, so here are some links to peruse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfvY1S-j67k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYISuoBXmg4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdNYgHiNg7g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAQJ5gLSQHk

Length / Content:
This is easily the longest game in the Fire Emblem franchise, with around 40 (!!) maps in the regular campaign. In addition, there is tons and tons of DLC / Spotpass content that can keep you preoccupied for several weeks more.

Difficulty Flexibility:
Unsure if you'll be comfortable in the notoriously difficult world of Fire Emblem? Fear not, for this is the first game released stateside that includes a "Casual" mode that removes permadeath. It's a good way to play through the campaign if you're not a strategy veteran or just want a more relaxing experience. There are also a total of three difficulties to choose from the start, with a fourth being unlockable.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#6Sain_of_CaelinPosted 1/30/2013 8:27:11 AM
Look it up yourself and come back with some more specific concerns.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/sainthegoo
https://www.youtube.com/user/VicariousBrian/videos?view=1&flow=grid
#7Honzou(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 8:28:27 AM
Thanks for showing me those youtube links on the music. I can say for myself that the choices ya showed me have made me love the OST.
As I understand that terrain only has to some extent some benefits but doesn't play a huge role which I find it okay, even though I would have like it if had a bit more in terms of effects.

In the difficulty department, I liked playing on Lunatic for my second time since it actually forced me to think where to put my units and the consequences (Had to retry 3 times) and this is another plus for me, but my fear is that after I finish the game and if I can keep my untis stats then the game will become too easy, and this is a huge negative for me unless this game has multiple endings.

The only things I don't know and somewhat leave me confuse is the total number of characters in this game since every unti is treated as a "hero" and this leaves me with a bitter taste until I saw in another thread that classes can change. Can it be more elaborated on how that works?

@West thanks for actually taking sometime answering me with some details. I hope I get some more answers, I again thank you for taking your time answering me.
---
The All Father has bequeath me the gift of battle. So now I bequeath you my spear through your heart.
#8Scout_TaronPosted 1/30/2013 8:31:25 AM
You can't keep your characters stats when you start a new game. Lunatic+ is a difficulty you unlock when you beat Lunatic. It's effectively the same thing, except random enemies are given "skills."

Also, this is a good primer for class change.

http://serenesforest.net/fe13/classchange.html
#9WestbrickIIIPosted 1/30/2013 8:35:48 AM
Honzou posted...
\As I understand that terrain only has to some extent some benefits but doesn't play a huge role which I find it okay, even though I would have like it if had a bit more in terms of effects.

I was specifically talking about terrain height, which some popular SRPGs (Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre) feature. Terrain itself only provides moderate boosts in avoid / defense, but is very important in Fire Emblem, as those few points can be the difference between life and death.

In the difficulty department, I liked playing on Lunatic for my second time since it actually forced me to think where to put my units and the consequences (Had to retry 3 times) and this is another plus for me, but my fear is that after I finish the game and if I can keep my untis stats then the game will become too easy, and this is a huge negative for me unless this game has multiple endings.

There is DLC specifically designed around max-stat units, so no worries here.

The only things I don't know and somewhat leave me confuse is the total number of characters in this game since every unti is treated as a "hero" and this leaves me with a bitter taste until I saw in another thread that classes can change. Can it be more elaborated on how that works?

Every character starts in some base class, and, if they're unpromoted, can normally promote to one of two branching classes. A knight, for instance, can promote either to general or to great knight. However, with something called a "Second Seal," a character can change to two different base classes, meaning there are a total of six promoted classes available for normal units.

Don't worry; it's very flexible.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#10Honzou(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 8:38:43 AM
Okay I get a bit confused here, according to scout Taron's link every time they reclass they go back to lvl 1, but the stats stay the same or it just changes and/or increases the stat growth per level up?

I''m mostly asking this cause I love customizing character stats a lot in games like the SMT franchise so this stuff usually helps me increase the replay value.
---