Casual Mode is a welcomed option

#71WestbrickIIIPosted 1/31/2013 5:44:42 PM
impossible2beat posted...
I 100% agree, but here is the thing, someone sees casual and now sees the barrier to entry to fire emblem broken. They buy it, they love it, and they are now a fan and next playthrough they have the confidence to try classic. Now you have more fans of a series, I understand all your points i just fundamentaly dont understand why you want to remove the choice.

I've admitted elsewhere that Casual Mode, despite its flaws, will bring in more players who are intimidated by the difficulty. That's fine. I'd still rather see it taken out for the next game.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#72impossible2beatPosted 1/31/2013 5:46:02 PM
WestbrickIII posted...
I 100% agree, but here is the thing, someone sees casual and now sees the barrier to entry to fire emblem broken. They buy it, they love it, and they are now a fan and next playthrough they have the confidence to try classic. Now you have more fans of a series, I understand all your points i just fundamentaly dont understand why you want to remove the choice.

I've admitted elsewhere that Casual Mode, despite its flaws, will bring in more players who are intimidated by the difficulty. That's fine. I'd still rather see it taken out for the next game.

once again why are you removing our choices, to benefit your experience
---
signature
#73WestbrickIIIPosted 1/31/2013 5:48:13 PM
NobleRoar posted...
And that particular experience is still available.

For me, yes. For the newcomer, perhaps not; they may feel intimidated and choose a mode that provides a worse experience overall.

It doesn't matter what you want, it matters what the newcomer wants. It doesn't matter how "big" the reason is. This reason is not a logical one.

You're using words like "logic" without understanding what they mean. A newcomer might not know what he wants or what will end up providing the better experience. I've used the example of a scareless Silent Hill 2 before, so I'll use it again: a newcomer to that series might worry about the amount of horror; if the game gave him a scareless option, he might very well choose to take it. This will significantly alter, and arguably damage, his experience.
---
The only thing more consistent than the Pats beating the Texans is my mother's regret she survived childbirth, knowing she spawned a welcher
#74WestbrickIIIPosted 1/31/2013 5:49:06 PM

Again, 0% about me and 100% about the experience I'd like new fans to have. This means I wouldn't mind having Casual Mode be unlockable after a Normal-Classic completion.
---
#75ikilledkenny2Posted 1/31/2013 5:50:29 PM
WestbrickIII posted...

Just off the top of my head. You'd be surprised how flexible Fire Emblem can be even at the highest difficulties.

Actually, I agree Awakening with pair up is pretty good about giving you an array of options. I can't really say I found that with some of the older titles, though...I did play FE6 on Hard and FE7 Hector Hard Mode awhile ago, and I found there to be very specific ways to do things if I didn't want to end up with a lot of slaughtered units. I really think FE6 Hard, which was very, very difficult for me to play without losing anyone, could have still been really challenging and given me a deeper level of thinking and strategizing than sitting around and trying to figure out the exact "trick" to figuring out the map and using my units properly.

Also I think wishing for the removal of casual mode is a dick and frankly elitist position. What about people like me who enjoyed past fire emblem games just fine but prefer casual mode now that we've had a whack at it? Why are we suddenly not permitted to enjoy a playstyle completely independent from yours? It may be easier, but I've already expressed and supported how it does have it's own unique style of play while still being fairly challenging.
#76impossible2beatPosted 1/31/2013 5:51:41 PM
WestbrickIII posted...

Again, 0% about me and 100% about the experience I'd like new fans to have. This means I wouldn't mind having Casual Mode be unlockable after a Normal-Classic completion.

Alright obviously no opinion is being changed, but unlocking the option seems ok, id disagree, but I think thats better, because im a long time Fire Emblem fan and I want casual, so I guess thats our disagreement,
---
signature
#77WestbrickIIIPosted 1/31/2013 5:55:08 PM
ikilledkenny2 posted...
I can't really say I found that with some of the older titles, though...

FE6 is badly designed in places, but FE7 is anything but a "puzzle game." Have you ever tried playing for rankings before? People (myself included) have S-Ranked HHM, which is far more restrictive than normal play. And there's no one strategy that works best.

Also I think wishing for the removal of casual mode is a dick and frankly elitist position. What about people like me who enjoyed past fire emblem games just fine but prefer casual mode now that we've had a whack at it?

Have it be an unlockable. And please stop throwing around words like "elitist," thanks.

Alright obviously no opinion is being changed, but unlocking the option seems ok, id disagree, but I think thats better, because im a long time Fire Emblem fan and I want casual, so I guess thats our disagreement,

I'm still not convinced you understand where I'm coming from, so one last try:

Classic Mode provides experience A.
Casual Mode provides experience B.
Anti-Casual poster would rather newcomers enjoy experience A (in their mind a superior experience) even at the expense of first-playthrough choice.

You don't have to agree with the anti-Casual. But it's a reasonable position, and perfectly "logical" (or at least as logical as preferences can be).
---
#78ikilledkenny2Posted 1/31/2013 5:58:31 PM
WestbrickIII posted...

Have it be an unlockable. And please stop throwing around words like "elitist," thanks.

I'm actually not throwing it around

e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism (-ltzm, -l-)
n.
1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources.
a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class.
b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class.

"stop putting in casual mode or at least make it unlockable people HAVE to play it my way first waaah"
#79NobleRoarPosted 1/31/2013 6:00:01 PM
For me, yes. For the newcomer, perhaps not; they may feel intimidated and choose a mode that provides a worse experience overall.

How do you know it will provide a worse experience? A mode that eases them into one of the mechanics of Fire Emblem may be a positive experience?

You're using words like "logic" without understanding what they mean. A newcomer might not know what he wants or what will end up providing the better experience. I've used the example of a scareless Silent Hill 2 before, so I'll use it again: a newcomer to that series might worry about the amount of horror; if the game gave him a scareless option, he might very well choose to take it. This will significantly alter, and arguably damage, his experience.

No, I'm using words like "logic" because your argument is not "logical." You're making wild assumptions about how other players will enjoy this game without any reasons that support it.

And that analogy doesn't really work here. While I haven't played it, quick research reveals that Silent Hill is a horror game. The objective of a horror game or other horror mediums is to scare the audience. Adding a "scareless" option defeats the purpose of the genre entirely. Having a casual mode does not do the same for Fire Emblem. There are still ways to lose in Fire Emblem even with Casual mode. And either way, if they are worried about the horror, how could removing the single aspect of a game they do not like damage their experience?
---
#NobleCertified
#80spyke252Posted 1/31/2013 6:00:06 PM
ikilledkenny2 posted...

"stop putting in casual mode or at least make it unlockable people HAVE to play it my way first waaah"

Hey kenny, can you stop being so elitist? thanks.