Is lack of same-sex marriage an issue?

#21TorajimaPosted 1/31/2013 4:29:12 PM
It's only an issue if you're the type that has to make an issue out of everything.

Ultimately, this is a Japanese game (where gay marriage is illegal) with a medieval setting (when gay marriage didn't exist), with a marriage mechanic the main purpose of which is to produce offspring who inherit your abilities (parents do not pass genes to adopted children).
#22Sain_of_CaelinPosted 1/31/2013 4:31:13 PM
Gays should certainly be more integrated in gaming, there's a huge disparity now between the percentage in games and the percentage in reality. Not to say all gay characters have to wear sexual orientation on their sleeve though. Either way I don't think it would work well mechanically in FE and wouldn't do much other than be an obvious PR move.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/sainthegoo
https://www.youtube.com/user/VicariousBrian/videos?view=1&flow=grid
#23Lexmark1989Posted 1/31/2013 4:33:29 PM
ToiseOfChoice posted...
Yep. Also lack of skin color in Avatar creation, but eh.

The thing that bothers me is when people say "it's because they need to make kids!" We already got magic and time travel, what other hokey plot device do we need to justify same-sex reproduction?

The time travel doesn't interfere with needing a male and female to have a child. That said it doesn't matter because that's how they meant it to be for this specific game. I don't agree with adding gay marriage just for the sake of political correctness that's the worst thing to do, just wait for the next game as there are plenty of minorities that aren't represented in this game.
---
I'm a ladies man and i loves my ladies
#24Huff n puff 20Posted 1/31/2013 4:40:21 PM(edited)
Lexmark1989 posted...

The time travel doesn't interfere with needing a male and female to have a child.

That, and MAGIC. DOES. NOT. WORK. LIKE. THAT. IN. FE. In fact, there's actually an entire set of supports that focus on that. (Henry and Miriel's)

Seriously, stop saying Magic is the answer. FE is pretty solid on Magic A is Magic A, yes there's lots it can do, but it has rules.

Also, at the time of this edit: 19 people are wrong.
---
Think a NEXT will save you from BETA? Think again.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8572968/1/Project-Ignition
#25HandsomeNerd85Posted 1/31/2013 4:41:28 PM
Torajima posted...
It's only an issue if you're the type that has to make an issue out of everything.

Ultimately, this is a Japanese game (where gay marriage is illegal) with a medieval setting (when gay marriage didn't exist), with a marriage mechanic the main purpose of which is to produce offspring who inherit your abilities (parents do not pass genes to adopted children).

It is ''illegal'' yes in Japan but even ultra nationalist party Isshin no kai said that they agreed with it's legalization.

The valid point here is the medieval setting. At least characters can fall in love regardless of their gender.
#26Emmy_AltavaPosted 1/31/2013 4:45:03 PM
It disappoints me, since I've got to play as a girl, but I don't think it's really a major, game-killing issue.

I think the lack of non-white Avatars is a somewhat larger issue, personally.
#27RyoKaibaPosted 1/31/2013 4:45:24 PM
This game involves female characters having children that later join your party *Face-palm*.

Unless there was a "He/She was adopted" option (which would be dumb), then same-sex marriages undermine that. Really who freaking cares? If homo-sexual gamers feel like their rights are being violated by having straight couples marrying in a freaking video-game, then boo-freaking-hoo.
---
"Hate the sin, love the sinner. But sometimes it's hard to look past all that sin and find the person behind it." -Joshua Graham; Fallout: NV
#28SPG080890Posted 1/31/2013 4:48:51 PM
I got the feeling that this topic is gonna turn into a "IkexSoren is CANON Because the used magic to create a kid!".
---
PSN- PGS0890 Pawn- Fighter (Lucina)
-Canon FE7 Lovers- Eliwood/Serra, Hector/Limstella, Lyn/Wallace, Nino/Marcus, Priscilla/Jaffar, Dart/Louise
#29Rideps1Posted 1/31/2013 4:48:53 PM
Adoption would completely mess up the mechanic, though. They cannot inherit their parent's stats, even if they probably could be taught the same classes.
---
BEHOLD THE POWER OF SARDINES!
#30spyke252Posted 1/31/2013 4:50:08 PM
Honestly, even the gender-defined classes is more of an issue than same sex marriage.

If the developers made another Ike/Soren, I'd be fine with it. I'm not fine with requiring them to.